Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411522 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 11:35:34 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsIndie BrawlIndie Brawl "meta" thread
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Author Topic: Indie Brawl "meta" thread  (Read 18811 times)
Phasma Felis
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 06, 2009, 03:24:04 PM »

I don't know if this is still up for discussion, or if everyone is sick of hearing of it, or if my opinion matters either way. But:

I'm absolutely in favor of a Quote homage/tribute character. Call him "Inverted Comma", maybe. There's plenty of tradition behind respectful homages to beloved characters in various media (Superman and Wonder Woman's cameo in Project A-Ko is the one that comes to mind, for some reason), and the sprites we've come up with are already very distinct from Pixel's original work, with a totally different style and pose. To me, a clear tribute character done with respect isn't an affront to Pixel's wishes.

But please ignore if this discussion is unwanted.
JMickle
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 06, 2009, 03:50:37 PM »

what you have said has sparked an interesting point; should we make a mascot for indie brawl, a completely original character?

Blaizer
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 06, 2009, 03:56:18 PM »

... should we make a mascot for indie brawl, a completely original character?

It could work...
shig
« Reply #63 on: December 07, 2009, 06:39:21 AM »

I don't know.

It would be nearly impossible to reach a consensus on the design, plus there isn't really a very good reason for that other than "it'd be cool".
Dailyman
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 07, 2009, 06:42:34 PM »

hmm... there have been discussions about this before. to be honest i don't see it happening, unless you want to pallet swap the quote sprites we have.

i still can't imagine him fitting in among actual characters, it'd seem really out of place...
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: December 07, 2009, 06:45:02 PM »

A completely original character kind of misses the point. The whole concept behind the game is that the characters are not original.

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 07, 2009, 07:14:29 PM »

In general, original characters in mashup games have tended to be pretty lame, because unless you create a really awesome character, they're not going to be as interesting to the player as all the characters from other games, who have a history behind them and are specifically selected for being highly memorable. There are some exceptions - I quite liked Tabuu from SSBB, and the Kingdom Hearts characters are well known - but those games were both created by extremely accomplished character designers.

hyperduck
Level 10

Music and Noises

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: December 12, 2009, 11:05:55 AM »

You mean like an announcer Indie Brawl Bot kinda character. Who has a big I.B on his chest and annouces the match starts and winners etc. That would be cool I'd reckon!

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 12, 2009, 04:33:49 PM »

You mean like an announcer Indie Brawl Bot kinda character. Who has a big I.B on his chest and annouces the match starts and winners etc. That would be cool I'd reckon!

You mean like a chibi Derek?

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 12, 2009, 08:16:28 PM »

YES.
Shade Jackrabbit
Level 10

TIME RANGER

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: December 12, 2009, 09:32:30 PM »

I agree with this motion.

["Thread Reader" - Read a thread.]
Blaizer
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 13, 2009, 02:47:36 AM »

Lol, chibi Derek...

So do it!!!
hyperduck
Level 10

Music and Noises

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: December 13, 2009, 04:34:03 AM »

YES.

Mogget
Level 1

Manbabysitter

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 15, 2009, 11:04:29 AM »

I'd say Derek could stand in the corner of the screen, and there'd be a speech bubble coming from him, ecplaining a bit about what option you have highlighted, and the name of the characters. That way you could go nuts with designing the other parts of the interface, since good ol' Derek would be there to explain the weird symbols for you.

Hurray for shameless promotion!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic