Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411468 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58422 Members - Latest Member: daffodil_dev

April 22, 2024, 10:14:09 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingDeath Unphased - phase dash through anything
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Death Unphased - phase dash through anything  (Read 718 times)
northspire
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: January 21, 2023, 03:43:56 PM »

Hello!

I'm creating a precision platformer called Death Unphased. I opened the playtest on Steam here: https://store.steampowered.com/app/2198590/Death_Unphased/. Although it says "request access" for the playtest, it should auto-approve you immediately.

The main mechanic of the game is the phase dash that you can use to phase through any wall, platform, or enemy. Phasing through a harmful object gives you an extra mid-air dash and makes the phased object become harmless.

I'd love to hear any feedback especially anything on the player movement! You can also submit feedback through the feedback button in the game that takes you to a short form.

Playtest v0.1.1: 17 levels containing dash gates, push orbs, chasers, and crystal shooters

Dash gates - platforms/walls that disappear if you don't currently have a dash
Push orbs - push in the same direction as the player's last dash within that level
Chasers - run toward the player when the player is within range
Crystal shooters - emit six bolts when the player gets too close

Here's a look at one of the levels below where there's two dash gates (shown with the grey lines above and below), a push orb near the bottom, and a chaser in the middle.

Working on Death Unphased
jbarrios
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2023, 01:32:35 PM »

Hey northspire,

I played your game:

northspire
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2023, 11:00:45 AM »

Hi jbarrios, thanks so much for the feedback! It gave me a lot of insight seeing you play and think through the game.

From the other feedback I've gotten, level 5 (that level you were on) was a steep jump in difficulty. I'm working on a visual redesign for the game, reducing gravity to give the player more time to react, and also fixing the level design to better introduce new concepts/sequences.

In case you were curious, the second half of level 5 is solved by dashing upward through the spikes, wall jumping off the left wall, and then phase dashing toward the right platform. Since each half of level 5 introduces sequences that are both new and hard to execute, it's definitely something that needs a rework.

Thanks again for playing!

Working on Death Unphased
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic