Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411488 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 02:05:12 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Why so few Unreal projects?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Why so few Unreal projects?  (Read 4737 times)
Tiny
Level 0

TGD

View Profile WWW
« on: January 22, 2023, 06:34:48 AM »

How come there are so few projects here being done with Unreal Engine? I would have expected wider adoption since it went open source.

cucadev
Level 0

cowabunga

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2023, 06:53:59 PM »

Well... Unreal didn't became open source AFAIK. Also, I don't think it would be much of a correlation of people here and Unreal games, although it can be with the fact that it's kind of a "cannon" to shoot on an ant if we think about indie game development, as well as being niched due the usage of blueprints or c++ as development options.
Vacui
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2023, 01:14:53 AM »

Unreal in its purest form, the use of C++, is difficult due to the programming language having fewer protections than others (like C#), and being forced to compile the code to apply your changes.
Visual scripting with blueprints definitely lowers the bar for entry, and I personally credit that feature for the recent rise in UE projects (at least on YT). But Unity, Godot and RPG Maker remain much more accessible and flexible, because another flaw in UE is its focus on FP hyperrealistic games, not an indie-friendly goal.

Anyway, that is my opinion, but it is a complex topic.

See ya Gentleman

Menwyr
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2023, 02:53:24 AM »

C#... in C# (and the accompanying Unity-Libraries) make it really easy to program and try more complex algorithms. It would take way to long in Unreal Blueprints. If you are comfortable programming in C++ however, the choice is up to you really. Aside from AAA titles both engines make for really good graphics with minimal differences.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic