Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 02:52:46 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingNeeding feedback for deckbuilder position based battle prototype
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Needing feedback for deckbuilder position based battle prototype  (Read 1098 times)
cucadev
Level 0

cowabunga

View Profile WWW
« on: January 22, 2023, 06:39:11 PM »

Hey, I wanted to share this small prototype I did in a few weeks during december. I wanted to call it "Minacarta"/"Minaccarta" but the team didn't liked the name so it's proto-card for now.

This is a game where you play on a single row using cards to perform your actions based on limited energy. Every turn your energy gets fulfilled and you can move with your strategy. The goal is to give the player very different builds in order to try strategies and get to the last game world (so far this prototype only includes one world +25 cards)

https://cuca.itch.io/proto-card

All feedback is highly appreciated! I am the founder of a small indie studio and we wanted to make this our third full game.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2023, 03:00:46 PM by cucadev » Logged
michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2023, 09:09:41 AM »

I like the art style!

Jerboa
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2023, 04:34:58 AM »

Played this in Ubuntu 18.04.6 LTS, had fun! It'll be great to see this release, good luck.

Ran well, no crashes or frame issues.

- I like the diversity in strategy you can get, with more cards you could really push that, so the player can "make their own class" magick, ranged, static-tanky/ fast moving dps etc.

- could have some cards to jump over some guys and backstab maybe?

- Do you plan any roquelike/-lite mechanics? A variety of cards would already add replayability, but this feels like it could have meta-progression

- will gold be used to buy cards/items?

- The drag and drop functionality is great, worked it out quickly but in a release some minor tutorial or prompt would be good, perhaps a keyboard control scheme would work as well

I know its a prototype, but some bugs I found:

(1) Arrows to select hair colour both increased the counter, the skin/hair style worked as expected

(2) The upgrades didn't seem to take effect, both in the deck screen and in play.

(3) Space rather than E ends turn
(4) The combat hud (energy, card count, money, end turn button) stayed on screen after dying

cucadev
Level 0

cowabunga

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2023, 10:47:32 AM »

Thanks @Jerboa for all your feedback. The "complete" game will get a lot of improvements based on your ideas.
About your questions

> - could have some cards to jump over some guys and backstab maybe?

Yeah, the biggest overhaul I'm going to do is to make the game have verticality and also do not rely on player being on left, enemies being on the right. This will make the battle-field more like a "wide" board (like 9x3) and enable some better strategies like that

> - Do you plan any roquelike/-lite mechanics? A variety of cards would already add replayability, but this feels like it could have meta-progression

Also yes! The idea for the game is to limit your deck as well as make you focus in your build related to the kind of cards you had. It isn't happening in this current version, but for instance if you play it like ~3 times you might get already a few changes in your playstyle based on the cards you get to choose. Also, the idea is that you have "pre-determined" starting decks that you unlock after playing that can give a more focused deck for your next runs

- will gold be used to buy cards/items?

I am unsure about how I'll handle it. For now its goal is to upgrading cards only (which IIRC the gold isn't even removed after you upgrade a card), but we wanted to add stuff like a merchant that can offer some pre-defined stuff and options like "burning a card" to get space on your deck, and they would benefit from this gold

Again, thanks so much for your comment!
jbarrios
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2023, 01:30:12 PM »

Hey Cuca,

I played your game

cucadev
Level 0

cowabunga

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2023, 03:32:02 PM »

Hey Cuca,

I played your game

Hey Justin, thanks a lot for this gameplay, it was really good to see you playing and as I said on youtube, gave me lots of insights! To quickly address some point I noticed:
- There was some bugs with the ranged enemy, like it damaging you when it shouldn't and it damaging one of the other enemies when it wasn't on the spot it shoot at (although the behavior of attacking their allies was on purpose!)
- Unfortunately you don't received a big variety of cards during the "prize" places, there are some spells that attack multiple spots, position-based traps and many other equipments, but since the rarity is kinda broken, it's pretty difficult to see most of it without re-rolling a lot (the money isn't even getting discounted per re-roll on this demo)

We (I did this quick-prototype during half of december) are reworking this game based on the feedbacks we got and I guess pretty much all of your (few) complaints like complexity and variety will be addressed on it. It might take a while since it will be a full release and it's being rewritten (mostly because the game now have 3 rows instead of one and this change pretty much all logics I quickly scratched earlier), as well as the art-style getting an overhaul, so if you liked it feel free to follow us in other medias such as @softwoolco on twitter or our website, we have a discord server for our studio: https://softwool.co

Already added this video into a document I have containing relevant feedbacks for our design decisions so, thanks a lot for it!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic