Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411506 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 10:08:40 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingNES action adventure game!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: NES action adventure game!  (Read 1798 times)
olddb
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: February 04, 2023, 04:41:50 PM »

An actual NES game! An action adventure game similar to Zelda and the Seiken Densetsu (Mana) series.

Features:
  • 2 player simultaneous coop
  • multiple weapons
  • save system
  • much more Smiley

Trailer:

On Kickstarter March 01:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/savethekuin/save-the-kuin-a-brand-new-game-for-the-nes

For more info, please visit:
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=74226.0

Play the demo:
https://yukahugames.weebly.com/uploads/1/4/4/4/144441411/mdemo.nes

Please, load the demo to your nes flashcart (or nes emulator).

• Looking for general feedback
  • Try playing coop.
  • What do you hate?
  • What do you like?
  • Can you beat this demo? Cheesy

Thank you.

EDIT: Kickstarter has been pushed a couple of days from February 27 to March 01
« Last Edit: February 22, 2023, 02:43:53 PM by olddb » Logged
michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2023, 08:39:24 AM »

Very cool! I just bought a retro emulator handheld so I'm going to try to install the ROM there and play it.

I'll give you detailed feedback if this is possible.

I also want to make a retro game for actual old hardware too so this project seems super inspiring!

(I love your trailer too)

michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2023, 03:08:19 AM »

Runs fine on my NES emulator!

Got the sword, got the 20 gold from the king, got the friend, got the fire staff, got the first heart (That should refill your hearts btw imo) then I got stuck, how do I proceed?

The grass cutting was a bit confusing, I'm used to LoZ where when you cut grass it is always a square tile instead of half tiles. Also the idea that the fire staff uses mana was a bit confusing for a bit but it wasn't too bad to figure out.

olddb
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2023, 05:34:39 PM »

Thank you for playing!  Beer!

Runs fine on my NES emulator!

Got the sword, got the 20 gold from the king, got the friend, got the fire staff, got the first heart (That should refill your hearts btw imo) then I got stuck, how do I proceed?

The grass cutting was a bit confusing, I'm used to LoZ where when you cut grass it is always a square tile instead of half tiles. Also the idea that the fire staff uses mana was a bit confusing for a bit but it wasn't too bad to figure out.

You need to cut the grass on specific locations to open up entrances.

[spoiler]
To continue your journey, there's an entrance in the upper left part of the map. In a similar way, you can find an entrance to get the "orb" you saw in the cave.
[/spoiler]

Your feedback is greatly appreciated!
michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2023, 06:18:15 AM »

There needs to be some sort of hint about that imo, because I would have never guessed that cutting grass opens a door. Or like a grass tile with a different image like the cracks in zelda.

michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2023, 09:29:22 AM »

Now that I hacked every bit of grass in the game and got into the dungeon, I was able to beat the demo. The dungeon was fine, my big beef was that the boss of the demo was way too difficult for me. I may be a filthy casual, but it took me about 10 tries to beat him and learn enough about the chaotic pattern he moves in. It still seems sort of random but usually when he does the loop move he does it twice in a row and then is a bit easier to hit a couple of times. I couldn't handle how unpredictable he was so I save state scummed my way through it. If I had been honest I would have had to beat the dungeon at least 10 times to beat the boss which is too much imo. In zelda you usually restart at the beginning of the dungeon, it needs to be easier to try again with the boss.

Great work though, no technical glitches at all, and the game was polished and nintendo quality. Difficulty was WAY up there but great demo. If I were a publisher I would offer to publish this game but I have no ability there. Please keep me posted with updates so I can play new versions.

olddb
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2023, 01:14:01 AM »

There needs to be some sort of hint about that imo, because I would have never guessed that cutting grass opens a door. Or like a grass tile with a different image like the cracks in zelda.

The final game will come with an instructions manual that explains the mechanic. In any case, we will most likely add an explanation in-game. You aren't the only one who had trouble finding the cave.

Now that I hacked every bit of grass in the game and got into the dungeon, I was able to beat the demo. The dungeon was fine, my big beef was that the boss of the demo was way too difficult for me. I may be a filthy casual, but it took me about 10 tries to beat him and learn enough about the chaotic pattern he moves in. It still seems sort of random but usually when he does the loop move he does it twice in a row and then is a bit easier to hit a couple of times. I couldn't handle how unpredictable he was so I save state scummed my way through it. If I had been honest I would have had to beat the dungeon at least 10 times to beat the boss which is too much imo. In zelda you usually restart at the beginning of the dungeon, it needs to be easier to try again with the boss.

Great work though, no technical glitches at all, and the game was polished and nintendo quality. Difficulty was WAY up there but great demo. If I were a publisher I would offer to publish this game but I have no ability there. Please keep me posted with updates so I can play new versions.

Thank you for playing and for the feedback.  Beer!  Coffee

The boss can be difficult. The trick is that he only whirls to the right. Fighting him from the top can also be effective.
The best strategy is having 2-3 apples to recover HP, and just cheezin him. Did you had any apples when you fought him?

The game has a checkpoint feature close to the boss. You must step on the 'flashing triangle' inside the cave to 'save' your progress up to that point. To access the triangle you need to drop from one of the holes in the second floor.
michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2023, 11:27:49 AM »

You need to teach players about the save point triangles because I had no idea or way to know about them. As a player how am I supposed to figure that out?

I don't think an instruction manual is a good idea because most people don't look at it.

Once its clear that you are looking for holes, the game is doable, but you have to get that info to the player via some in game clue that cannot be missed. Same with the save point: you need players to know that they are looking for a save point.

Even if you just have an NPC character with a text bubble: "Oh, boss says I'm supposed to fix the holes around the fort before someone gets in, but I don't think anyone will look in the grass!"

The first time I fought the boss I had 2 apples, it was not enough. Eventually I learned a bit more about how he moves and got it, but I was able to understand the pattern only by messing with the rom save state rather than playing honest.

jbarrios
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2023, 12:21:37 PM »

Hey olddb,

I played your game:

olddb
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2023, 07:34:54 PM »

Hey olddb,

I played your game:

Thanks for playing!  Beer!
Really enjoyed your playthrough.

BTW:
-You can equip your companion ally. Giving him the firestaff is a good idea. 
-You can press start before the boss fight to skip the dialogue.

Everyone seems to be having trouble with the boss. Maybe we will tone it down. Grin

Did you know know beforehand you needed to cut the grass to find the cave entrance?

Take care.
olddb
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2023, 05:26:36 PM »

Only seven days left this fascinating adventure game will be officially released. I am very confident that it will be successful and well-received by many people after watching the ươnderful trailer.

Thank you for those words.  Smiley

But the game won be officially released then; at that date only the Kickstarter starts!  Grin
jbarrios
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2023, 08:44:34 AM »

Did you know know beforehand you needed to cut the grass to find the cave entrance?

No.  I took an educated guess that something was in the grass due to the layout of the screen.  I've played too many video games  Shrug
olddb
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2023, 09:28:04 AM »

Kickstarter is now live:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/savethekuin/save-the-kuin-a-brand-new-game-for-the-nes
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic