Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411522 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 11:15:32 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignHow to make an Arcade game fun
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: How to make an Arcade game fun  (Read 4698 times)
Pako
« on: February 08, 2023, 03:18:04 AM »

So, I'm working on a new project, and due to the nature of the game I don't want any levels or dungeon exploration.
I want to focus on a simplistic style of gameplay, but I'm wondering on how to keep the player hooked.

Any suggestions on how to achieve that?
kason.xiv
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2023, 08:26:53 AM »

watchu talkin bout boi  Crazy

You say "due to the nature of the game" - what's the nature? what kind of game are you planning to design.
michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2023, 08:31:40 AM »

There are a ton of simple games that are fun, but without specifics I would say use your intuition and experiment with various ideas that come to you.

Pako
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2023, 11:37:40 AM »

watchu talkin bout boi  Crazy

You say "due to the nature of the game" - what's the nature? what kind of game are you planning to design.

A simple arcade type game. You know, no level progression, like shoot-em-ups.
Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2023, 01:50:14 AM »

Well, one idea might be powerups: they provide a dash of collection to the experience, as well as a hint of progression or variety (depending on the specifics of the powerup) within a run.

That said, I do feel that "simple arcade type game" is still a bit vague: "Paperboy", "Galaga", "Breakout", and "Pac-Man" are all "simple arcade type games", for example, but are all pretty different. So, what sort of game, specifically, did you have in mind? Or is that not yet determined?

michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2023, 10:29:32 AM »

PLZNO - POWERDOWNS is what people want, you collect objects that make you slower and weaker till the game is impossible to beat.

YEEEEEEEEEES.

Waaagh!

[email protected]
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2023, 05:29:59 PM »

You like shoot-em-ups? Just a few days ago, I played Atari Star Wars for the first time. The ability to steer a spaceship from a first-person perspective is mind-blowing for a 40-year-old game, and the pacing kept me hooked. The first time, I died after a couple minutes. I came back an hour later and blew up the Death Star twice on a single credit. It feels so awesome that it becomes muscle memory pretty quickly.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic