Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1412078 Posts in 69447 Topics- by 58485 Members - Latest Member: holdemech

June 26, 2024, 08:13:30 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsOmnigon, a humourous metroidvania
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Omnigon, a humourous metroidvania  (Read 1024 times)
yokcos700
Level 0

Fishticuffs | @yokcos700

View Profile
« on: March 03, 2023, 12:35:32 AM »

Game lives here

OMNIGON
Here's a game where you have the ability to shapeshift other objects. Which I have learned is a pretty good setup for any number of jokes. It's intended to be a small and silly game that should take something like 60-90 minutes to complete. hopefully if you play this game you will at some point exhale rapidly through your nose or chuckle politely or say "that was funny" or something to that effect.

An example of shapeshifting would be turning pots into.. well, into pots.

In Omnigon some of your upgrades come from hats. behold this simple health-upgrade hat Gentleman

As this is meant to be a silly game rather than a hard one, most of the enemies are meant to be kind of trivial

although I'm not against a mean platforming challenge or two

while I started making this video-game the better part of a year ago I have been dual-wielding projects for most of that time, so it's been relatively slow going. still, I hope I can get this Omnigon game done and dusted by the end of august kind of time

Gentleman thank you for beholding my post about my video-game Gentleman
« Last Edit: December 08, 2023, 03:09:23 AM by yokcos700 » Logged

Fishticuffs guy and also Omnigon guy
yokcos700
Level 0

Fishticuffs | @yokcos700

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2023, 12:10:31 PM »

There will now be some words on the topic of Gentleman HATS Gentleman

In Omnigon your upgrades mainly come through various hats that you can wear. For example here's one that replaces your basic punch with a fishing attack:

You also have the ability to wear as many hats as you like, forming a giant stack of hats each granting you its own benefit.
However, this comes with a cost, as if you have many hats on then it will be impossible to pass through low doorways or short rooms.
One of the hats is jet-powered.
That's all for today!  Gentleman

Omnigon is wishlistable on Steam, and there's a generous demo

yokcos700
Level 0

Fishticuffs | @yokcos700

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2023, 05:17:15 AM »

Gentleman Good day, folks Gentleman

Recently I remembered that marketing is of some importance. so I decided to combine the necessity of marketing with my enjoyment of making funny stuff, and put together this animated trailer. please behold:

Game's generally coming along nicely, and I would say that it has solidly earned that 90% complete icon. if it's not done by the year's end I'll eat my hat. after adding an edible hat to the game.

Some folks were irritated by the concept of running into a place too low for their hats to allow passage, and having to walk all the way back to the hat-changing-place to remove their hats. so I added the ability to remove hats ballistically.

Gentleman That's all the Omnigon news for today Gentleman

Omnigon is wishlistable on Steam, and there's a generous demo

Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2023, 07:45:52 AM »

Your animated trailer has a lot of charme. I think quirky and crazy, love the art style!

yokcos700
Level 0

Fishticuffs | @yokcos700

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2023, 07:16:08 AM »

Your animated trailer has a lot of charme. I think quirky and crazy, love the art style!
thanks much comrade, quirky is sort of exactly what I'm aiming for

The game is NOW COMPLETE AND RELEASED, available here

stats: releasing with 441 wishlists, I'll be back in a month or so with numbers regarding how well those converted into sales and dollars

Gentleman thank you for reading my forum-posts Gentleman

Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2023, 01:59:38 PM »

That's great to hear, congratulations for the release!

yokcos700
Level 0

Fishticuffs | @yokcos700

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2023, 12:54:41 AM »

Gentleman Good morning, gentlemen Gentleman

1 month update: 5 reviews, 47 sales, USD$179. Gained exactly 100 wishlists since launch. My Word! I think it's fair to call this a failure most abject indeed.

A hypothesis as to why is that Omnigon has been described by myself as a metroidvania, which is sort of technically true. but metroidvania enjoyers tend to want sick upgrades and tight combat and sweet platforming. gameplay stuff, y'know. but Omnigon is not that, the appeal of this game is in poking your head into a room and seeing what funny thing is within. in that way it shares more in common with the earthboundesque RPGs than with the metroidesque platformers.
obviously I couldn't have called it an RPG because that's flatly false. but somehow targeting the quirky RPG guys as the audience rather than metroidvania guys would have been wise. How exactly that's supposed to be done though is rather beyond me.
instead of changing up the communication I could have foreseen this problem and changed the game. what if it did also feature competent combat and such? the metroidvania guys would have enjoyed it far more, and no doubt that would have looked good in trailers and perhaps also screenshots.

That's the chronic problem, and its more acute manifestation is that when release time came there was no pre-existing community around this game at all. A sign of a guaranteed incoming failure. A mistake made months ago was to continue working on Omnigon even as the discussion around it was characterised by silence and crickets. While the game was very fun to make I should probably have abandoned much earlier on so as to avoid wasting so much time.

So, what I might aim to do in future is to only invest large chunks of time into games that have already gathered a chunk of audience from the outset. and to spend more time on identifying the target communities and trojan-horsing my game into their discussions with earnest participation in these groups, and high quality self-promotion.

Right, well that's probably all for Omnigon,  Gentleman thank you for reading my walls of text Gentleman

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic