Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 05:32:50 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMoldering
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Moldering  (Read 11462 times)
deathtotheweird
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2010, 04:17:37 PM »

did you do the artwork currently in the game or someone else?
BrixxieBee
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2010, 04:31:07 PM »

For a while I had a few volunteers that would come and go and contribute. Only one of them stuck around, and he's been a great help.

I also paid someone to do two of the world's tile-sets but I can't afford to put more money into a freeware project and, besides, he's not available anymore.

It's all original, but I didn't do much of it. I'm more skilled at programming and design than artwork.
BrixxieBee
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2011, 03:38:19 PM »

Here is some gameplay footage we put together:

If you like how it's coming out please visit:
http://www.8bitfunding.com/project_details.php?p_id=85
BrixxieBee
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2011, 09:37:48 PM »

Been a while since I've posted here about Moldering. Been doing some really cool things. We have a new facebook page here:
https://www.facebook.com/projectmoldering

Gameplay video with new graphics:

Some new screenshots (also on the facebook page):

The Devblog is down for some reason, been working with our hosting company to get it up and running again. The link for that is here:
http://devblog.projectmoldering.com/

Progress on hobby games ebbs and flows. Right now things are a-flowin'.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 09:42:53 PM by James_M.D.T. » Logged
astrofra
Level 3

CG Hoister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2011, 04:29:22 AM »

Some new screenshots (also on the facebook page):

With such a deep atmospheric perspective it really lacks a true parallax scrolling.
Otherwise, this is stunning, visually.

BrixxieBee
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2011, 01:37:23 PM »

If you're talking about the video of that world, the parallax wasn't implemented at that time. I've implemented the parallaxing into the engine, I just need to go in and set the values for each layer.
BrixxieBee
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 26, 2011, 10:28:46 PM »

Didn't have a whole lot of time today with school and work, but got the parallaxing looking super freakin' sweet and added some lightning and thunder to go along with the simple weather I was working on the last couple of days.

Hopefully video soon. Parallax=love.
BrixxieBee
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 31, 2011, 12:53:00 PM »

Resolved our DNS issues and the devblog is up and running again. We'll have a snazzy new video up soon:

http://devblog.projectmoldering.com
BrixxieBee
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 06, 2011, 03:44:13 PM »

November 6th, 2011

-reworked the camera system. It's now predictive of player
-created a mass of .ini files to allow other developers on the team to alter variables
-created three ambient lighting systems.

(Lighting system 1)

(Lighting system 2)

(Lighting system 3)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 10:36:11 PM by James Daniello » Logged
BrixxieBee
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 06, 2011, 10:35:28 PM »

The first lighting system casts the layers the player is in and around into complete darkness but still allows the background and night sky to shine through. This is most representative of real life, I feel. The less ambient light there is, the more the sky and stars are visible.

The second system casts the whole world in darkness except for all lighting sources. This one might be fun to experiment with in terms of gameplay. Lightning bugs that hover and dart around, lighting the scene up as they move, would look nice here and could be used to toy with the players perception of where they should explore (or not explore). However, I personally think the first lighting system is the most aesthetically pleasing.

The third is a modified version of the second system and is a sort of hybrid of the first two. It mostly just shows the player the areas where the lights are, but also lets a little bit of the rest of the map through.

TECH:
I wrote these systems using Java2D and get decent frame rates with over 1500 objects in conjunction with the lighting system. The first lighting system is the most interesting one. Basically what's done here is upon entering the specific map, an image of all the tiles which should be cast in shadow is drawn in all black. Then the light sources are blended into this image once per frame and finally a sub-image is taken from this image of the camera's view and rendered on top of the scene. The biggest performance increase was rendering all the static objects once upon entering the frame. I will still have to draw all of the moveable objects each frame if I want them to be cast in shadow as well.
BrixxieBee
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 10, 2011, 04:09:41 PM »

November 10, 2011:
Here's two videos to show off two of the newest features, along with some smaller updates:

#12 Moldering: Lighting Effects

#13 Moldering: Parallaxing, Weather, Camera
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 08:01:59 PM by James Daniello » Logged
BrixxieBee
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 20, 2011, 06:49:55 PM »

New video. Also, check the first post of this thread for devlog updates:

#14 Moldering: Fading Caves and Ability Ring

Since this video three abilities have been implemented so far: Rock, Fireball, and Quake, each with their own unique use of the mouse. A video of them will come once there's enough implemented for them to interact with.
BrixxieBee
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 29, 2011, 04:16:21 PM »

Added 8 days of devlog updates to the first post.
BrixxieBee
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 29, 2011, 04:17:28 PM »

Also, did an interview with Grizzly Pixel:

http://grizzlypixel.blogspot.com/2011/11/interview-james-daniello-and-zach.html
increpare
« Reply #54 on: November 29, 2011, 05:35:27 PM »

looking pretty...
BrixxieBee
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 01, 2011, 02:47:19 PM »

Thanks. I realize there hasn't been a lot about gameplay shown off here but that's what we're working on now. More updates coming soon.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic