Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411951 Posts in 69435 Topics- by 58482 Members - Latest Member: Maiu

June 12, 2024, 04:10:42 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsCitizen Pain | First Person Action Prototype
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16
Print
Author Topic: Citizen Pain | First Person Action Prototype  (Read 33675 times)
Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #220 on: January 15, 2024, 02:19:56 AM »

I've been away from the forum while on holiday, and it seems that I've missed a fair bit!

Hmm... It seems that you've added a number of new mechanics! Each does seem interesting, and I like your reasoning behind them, I will say!

That said, my impression is that the game is quite short. If I'm correct in that, I do wonder whether all of these mechanics might be a little too much...

But, I suppose that we'll see!

As to the mechanics themselves, I think that "possession" most intrigues me. Perhaps especially as I imagine that it incurs a bit of a risk to the player, as they leave their body unattended, and thus vulnerable...

(And I do agree with the decision to go for an over-the-shoulder perspective during possession!)

Hmm... A thought: What if, should the player's host be killed during possession, the player then suffers a small amount of damage? That might increase the tension of taking over a host, by making them a little less disposable...

But overall, good work thus far, it seems! ^_^

Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #221 on: January 16, 2024, 10:49:18 AM »

I've been away from the forum while on holiday, and it seems that I've missed a fair bit!

Hmm... It seems that you've added a number of new mechanics! Each does seem interesting, and I like your reasoning behind them, I will say!

That said, my impression is that the game is quite short. If I'm correct in that, I do wonder whether all of these mechanics might be a little too much...

But, I suppose that we'll see!

Good point, but in my opinion it should not be too overwhelming for the player to learn them.

The game should take 1 hour from start to finish, but you have to run and know how to play, so realistically for a new player I expect 2 hours of gameplay. I would like to introduce the mechanics a little at a time. Being about 10 mechanics, I think if I introduce a new mechanic to the player every 10 minutes I should cover the 2 hours.

10 minutes might seem short, but they are "side" mechanics and if a player is skilled with action games they could finish the game even without mastering any of these mechanics (this is kind of my design idea, it's a bit of a gamble).

Hmm... A thought: What if, should the player's host be killed during possession, the player then suffers a small amount of damage? That might increase the tension of taking over a host, by making them a little less disposable...

Interesting, but I personally like the idea of being able to own an enemy and have no risk in using it. That's because it's an ability that recharges very slowly and the possession time isn't very long (since I consider it very powerful).

If I could take damage that would trickle back to the player I'm afraid the player might not find this ability as useful anymore. By design, the only risk in using it is the slow startup animation and the distance to the enemy that has to be short enough (so you risk getting hit by the enemy). With the possession I want the player to be able to feel really powerful and special!  Grin

Thank you for your feedbacks!  Grin Grin Grin

Games:

Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #222 on: January 16, 2024, 10:56:42 AM »

Enabled possession for the Soldier Swordsman as well. Light attack triggers sword strike, while Heavy attack throws a bomb. Also disabled HUD items that are not needed/not used during possession (potions, stamina bar etc.).

Games:

Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #223 on: January 18, 2024, 11:32:42 AM »

I am continuing the implementation of possession. I just finished the Soldier Spearman enemy, where with the Light Attack command you execute the stab and with the Heavy Attack command you execute a sweep.

Games:

Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #224 on: January 19, 2024, 11:53:30 AM »

Possession of the enemy Knight. In the screenshot while I was attacking a Soldier I am about to be hit from behind by a Skeleton enemy.

Games:

Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #225 on: January 20, 2024, 12:10:45 PM »

I put in camera effects when you have possessed the enemy: zoom in to the enemy, color desaturation, and a green tint, to make it clear that you are in the Possession state.

For now I’m done with Possession, tomorrow I’ll start implementing a new mechanic taken from horror games.

Games:

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #226 on: January 22, 2024, 04:31:41 AM »

Good point, but in my opinion it should not be too overwhelming for the player to learn them.

Fair enough! Well, I suppose that we shall see!

And yeah, it is fair, I think, to have side-mechanics that the player may pick up, but isn't required to pick up.

Interesting, but I personally like the idea of being able to own an enemy and have no risk in using it.

Also fair!

And it does seem that you have balancing elements in place.

Enabled possession for the Soldier Swordsman as well. Light attack triggers sword strike, while Heavy attack throws a bomb.

I do like that we get access to the bombs! Especially if this becomes viable only after being on the receiving end of them: there's a certain fun to getting to wield to good effect something that once was a trouble to oneself, I feel!

For now I’m done with Possession, tomorrow I’ll start implementing a new mechanic taken from horror games.

Ooh, that's intriguing! Being fond of horror, I am interested to learn what this might be... :D

... As long as it's not jump-scares. Tongue

Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #227 on: January 24, 2024, 12:29:03 PM »

I do like that we get access to the bombs! Especially if this becomes viable only after being on the receiving end of them: there's a certain fun to getting to wield to good effect something that once was a trouble to oneself, I feel!

I hope for the surprise effect, that the player finds out can exclaim "Wow!"  Grin

Ooh, that's intriguing! Being fond of horror, I am interested to learn what this might be... :D

... As long as it's not jump-scares. Tongue

Unfortunately I think most likely I will put some jumpscare!  Cry

Games:

Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #228 on: January 24, 2024, 12:35:22 PM »

The creature that will be featured in the horror section of the game.
To unlock the shortcut, the player will have to get past a small horror section where without weapons will need to escape from a creature. The horror section will be very much inspired by the scarier parts of games like Resident Evil and Dead Space.

Games:

Schrompf
Level 9

C++ professional, game dev sparetime

View Profile WWW
« Reply #229 on: January 24, 2024, 11:23:41 PM »

Ewww, that chap is UGLY

Snake World, multiplayer worm eats stuff and grows DevLog
Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #230 on: January 26, 2024, 11:22:09 AM »

Ewww, that chap is UGLY

I agree, it's very beautiful.  Cheesy

Games:

Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #231 on: January 26, 2024, 11:23:07 AM »

Layout of the small horror section, a simple go from point A to point B, where you have to pick up an object at point B and bring it back to point A. The creature will at some point appear in the middle of the level and follow the player. The goal is to activate the elevator to escape, without getting caught by the creature. Passing the level will unlock the shortcut.

Games:

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #232 on: January 29, 2024, 05:25:33 AM »

I hope for the surprise effect, that the player finds out can exclaim "Wow!"

I could definitely see it having that effect! ^_^

Unfortunately I think most likely I will put some jumpscare!

Well, no game is perfect. Tongue

The creature that will be featured in the horror section of the game.

A cool creature!

And I do like the idea of a short section of helplessness and horror to break up the normal gameplay! ^_^

Also, is it just me or does it look in that screenshot like the creature is fanboy/girling over the player? "*GASP!* It's the player! I never thought I'd meet you in person! AAAAAH!" Tongue

And finally, it's good to see progress on the horror level! ^_^

Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #233 on: January 29, 2024, 11:55:08 AM »

Also, is it just me or does it look in that screenshot like the creature is fanboy/girling over the player? "*GASP!* It's the player! I never thought I'd meet you in person! AAAAAH!" Tongue

Cheesy

Games:

Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #234 on: January 29, 2024, 11:56:06 AM »

I tweaked the lighting to make the atomosphere more horror. The main mechanic works (creature chasing you and the player has to reach the elevator without getting caught). I’m trying to wrap up the prototype horror section as quickly as possible, but the temptation to add more stuff is always around the corner.

Games:

Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #235 on: January 31, 2024, 12:01:54 PM »

Operating the lever opens the elevator door. The door opens very slowly as the creature will come closer and closer to the player. I am implementing this mechanic to increase the tension before the end of the horror section of the game.

Games:

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #236 on: February 05, 2024, 01:01:36 AM »

Nice work, all! I'm glad to read that it's coming along nicely--and that you're holding strong against the temptation of Scope Creep! ^_^

Operating the lever opens the elevator door. The door opens very slowly as the creature will come closer and closer to the player. I am implementing this mechanic to increase the tension before the end of the horror section of the game.

A classic--and for good reason: it quite reliably ratchets the tension of the scene. ^_^

Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #237 on: February 11, 2024, 09:49:06 AM »

A classic--and for good reason: it quite reliably ratchets the tension of the scene. ^_^

I hope it works in the game! Can't wait to see the reactions during the playtest  Grin

Games:

Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #238 on: February 11, 2024, 09:51:21 AM »

I am implementing the Level Up UI screen (in the screenshot still work in progress).

Level Up is available as an option while resting at the hub area. When leveling up, one spends accumulated souls to invest points into one of 5 stats. They can be increased up to a level of 3.

Games:

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #239 on: February 12, 2024, 01:16:13 AM »

Fair enough! Another classic trope!

I will say that I'm seldom a fan of numeric levelling--but I do realise that others quite like it, or so I gather.

At the least I'm glad to see that this game doesn't have the sheer profusion of stats that Dark Souls presents! ^^;

[edit]
One thing that might be very useful is to have an indication of what each stat does. This could be as small as a tool-tip, or as large as a separate screen that shows the changes to damage, etc., as in Dark Souls.

But either way, it can help to sell the effectiveness of the changes in stats, and to inform the player in their choices, I daresay.

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic