Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1410038 Posts in 69492 Topics- by 58511 Members - Latest Member: Prospective Games

July 23, 2024, 03:44:20 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsCitizen Pain | First Person Action Prototype
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17
Print
Author Topic: Citizen Pain | First Person Action Prototype  (Read 37802 times)
Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2023, 10:53:36 AM »

New destructibles: tables and chairs.

Games:

Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2023, 08:04:48 AM »

I am implementing a new enemy, the soldier swordsman:

Games:

marcgfx
Level 8

if you don't comment, who will?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2023, 11:13:50 PM »

Looking good. Any chance you can get some shadows in? I always dislike the disconnect between objects and background when there is no shadow.

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2023, 01:27:12 AM »

Perfect for smashing by barbarians enraged by interrupting protagonists or losses at card games! ;P

Looking good! ^_^

Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2023, 01:05:20 PM »

Looking good. Any chance you can get some shadows in? I always dislike the disconnect between objects and background when there is no shadow.

I actually didn't notice that the shadows were missing! Probably I disabled the shadow cast on the directional light (all point lights are no casting shadow at the moment). Thank you for bringing this to my attention  Grin

Games:

Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2023, 01:07:48 PM »

Perfect for smashing by barbarians enraged by interrupting protagonists or losses at card games! ;P

Looking good! ^_^

Thank you! I might implement a card game, just so I can break the table haha   Grin

Games:

Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: May 23, 2023, 01:08:44 PM »

Now the soldier can throw the firebomb:

Games:

Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: May 24, 2023, 09:38:56 AM »

More tweaks on firebomb throwing behavior.

Games:

Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: May 26, 2023, 06:54:45 AM »

Looking great, I like me some good firebombs Smiley

Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: May 27, 2023, 08:34:48 AM »

Looking great, I like me some good firebombs Smiley

Thank you!  Grin

Games:

Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: May 27, 2023, 08:35:32 AM »

This week I implemented a new enemy, the Soldier Swordsman. These enemies have much more health than the normal enemies. They have a chance to throw a Firebomb, which creates an area damage.

At the moment their attacks consist of two slow horizontal swings, and a side step where they can block player attacks (not implemented for now).

In addition, I created other destructibles such as chairs and tables, and placed them in the greybox level together with the Soldier Swordsman.

Games:

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: May 29, 2023, 06:00:43 AM »

The new enemies look to be a solid addition, and the firebombs a nice bit of variety in the gameplay! (Plus the firebombs have a neat explosion effect!) ^_^

I am a little sad that the firebombs don't seem to have friendly fire, however--having enemies inadvertently hurt each other tends to be quite fun!

Still, I imagine that these bombs will make for some...

[beat]

Explosive encounters. >;P

Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: May 29, 2023, 10:48:19 AM »

The new enemies look to be a solid addition, and the firebombs a nice bit of variety in the gameplay! (Plus the firebombs have a neat explosion effect!) ^_^

I am a little sad that the firebombs don't seem to have friendly fire, however--having enemies inadvertently hurt each other tends to be quite fun!

[beat]

Thank you! For now I've removed friendly fire because it seems a bit unbalanced if it could also hit enemies, from a dangerous attack it would become an advantageous attack a bit too often in a crowd. But I'll keep that in mind because I'm not really sure how to handle it.

[beat]

Your sense of humor is quite explosive!  Grin

Games:

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 30, 2023, 12:58:29 AM »

Very impressive! Not my kind of game to play but the devlog is a lot of fun to read/watch. You were good at this stuff already when I saw your posts a couple of years ago but you seem to have improved even more Smiley Are the enemies not using their shields to block yet?

Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: May 30, 2023, 09:03:09 AM »

Very impressive! Not my kind of game to play but the devlog is a lot of fun to read/watch. You were good at this stuff already when I saw your posts a couple of years ago but you seem to have improved even more Smiley Are the enemies not using their shields to block yet?

Thank you so much for the kind words, I really appreciate it!  Grin I'm glad the Devlog is enjoyable to read. Enemies still don't block, although the implementation is there, it's just that I have to figure out when they can blockso as not to unbalance the difficulty too much.

Games:

Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: May 31, 2023, 10:39:17 AM »

I added a health bar above the enemies, to show how much damage you do to them and how much health they still have left.

Games:

Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: June 01, 2023, 12:36:56 PM »

Added support for showing multiple health bar, 3d widgets above each enemy.

Games:

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: June 05, 2023, 01:45:59 AM »

Ah, healthbars are much appreciated! Not only do they indicate how much damage is being done, but I feel that they can give a sense of effectiveness against tougher enemies, where their ability to soak up damage may otherwise leave the player feeling their attacks ineffectual...

Thank you! For now I've removed friendly fire because it seems a bit unbalanced if it could also hit enemies, from a dangerous attack it would become an advantageous attack a bit too often in a crowd. But I'll keep that in mind because I'm not really sure how to handle it.

I do see your hesitation, I daresay!

Hmm... I have two thoughts there, if I may:

First is in favour: For the player, being able to manipulate enemies into hurting their own can be fun! Plus, it still likely comes with some risk to balance the reward, I imagine, whether in baiting target enemies or drawing bomb-fire.

And second is in mitigation: If too much friendly-fire damage is being done, then might be worth looking into designing the enemy AI such that they prefer to not throw bombs when there are too many of their own around.

Are you saying that it's...

Da bomb? >;P

Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: June 06, 2023, 10:31:07 AM »

Ah, healthbars are much appreciated! Not only do they indicate how much damage is being done, but I feel that they can give a sense of effectiveness against tougher enemies, where their ability to soak up damage may otherwise leave the player feeling their attacks ineffectual...

I do see your hesitation, I daresay!

Hmm... I have two thoughts there, if I may:

First is in favour: For the player, being able to manipulate enemies into hurting their own can be fun! Plus, it still likely comes with some risk to balance the reward, I imagine, whether in baiting target enemies or drawing bomb-fire.

And second is in mitigation: If too much friendly-fire damage is being done, then might be worth looking into designing the enemy AI such that they prefer to not throw bombs when there are too many of their own around.

Are you saying that it's...

Da bomb? >;P

Yes, I agree that it can create fun situations. I'm a little worried that it can be exploited too easily in the game. Also if I enable the friendly fire I have to enable friendly attacks as well to be consistent, and that would be a problem.

Games:

Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: June 07, 2023, 09:46:14 AM »

I am implementing the Strong Attack. I did a lot of level design in my game that I forgot how much data I need to take into account for frame data.

Games:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic