Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411602 Posts in 69388 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: gravitygat

May 08, 2024, 12:20:33 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsIt Fell to Earth - Game in the style of a 50s Sci Fi B Movie
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: It Fell to Earth - Game in the style of a 50s Sci Fi B Movie  (Read 4479 times)
Ramos
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2023, 04:53:18 PM »

I love the creature design, very Lovecraftian.

The combat seems to be decent although I must ask: Will there will also be strategic choices and tactical gameplay?

And a small suggestion, the art is very good, effects are nice but I STRONGLY recommend that you add a parallax effect on all these beautiful backgrounds, especially during that fight scene(maybe even some background destroyable objects just for fun)

Keep the updates coming, sir!

Gentleman

dalepenlington
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2023, 12:21:12 AM »

Thanks Ramos. So the Parallax effect will definitely be integrated into each scene to give the scenes a more 3D feel and not look so flat. There will be foreground bushes/furniture etc as well. At the moment I’m creating the in game events and mini games (this being one of many, and shooting is only a small part of the game) I will then work on adding the parallax effect. I have created another mini game where you have to shoot bottles where you can also destroy other objects, so maybe I’ll see if I can add them to this scene as well.

The only tactical aspect of this mini game is to shoot its eyes before it tries to take over your mind, if you fail you lose a day of in-game time at hospital (you have a condition that stops it fully taking over your mind, but it does knock you unconscious).
dalepenlington
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2023, 01:57:09 AM »

Decided to start adding moving clouds to all the outdoor scenes (still a work in progress) as well as moving cloud shadows on the ground. Taking quite a bit of work as these clouds have to move behind roofs, wires, tree's etc. A small touch but I think it definitely brings the scenes more to life.

dalepenlington
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2023, 11:18:00 AM »

This is an example of voice work and how the interactions will go with the different characters you meet on the Island of Amissus.

KPas
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2023, 05:52:38 AM »

First of all: I like the setting very much. I've looked in here again and again.

To animate faces, you basically use a technique I already encountered in Wing Commander: eyes, mouth, eyebrows and the like are replaced with variants. This also seems to work well.
However, I suspect that with such realistic graphics, this technique reaches its limits when it comes to expressing emotions. Especially at the part where the woman says: I love you, I had to grin a bit ...

However, this does not dampen the good overall impression. Smiley

dalepenlington
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2023, 10:29:17 AM »

Thank's Kpas and thank you so much for following the development progress! I'm really glad you mentioned the emotionless speech animations as Ive felt exaclty the same way, so it's great to hear feedback about it off someone else. Ive actually been trying to work on improving that as you will see in this video below.

dalepenlington
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2023, 11:02:30 AM »

A visit around the map now with added voice acting.

Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2023, 12:46:04 AM »

"Dixie Dean's, the best burgers on the island. Well, the only burgers on the island. But still..." Love it Smiley

dalepenlington
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2023, 03:52:01 AM »

"Dixie Dean's, the best burgers on the island. Well, the only burgers on the island. But still..." Love it Smiley

Thankyou so much Alain! It’s quite a dark and serious game, so I wanted to make sure to add a little dash of humour in places.
dalepenlington
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2023, 12:53:34 PM »

I’ve not postsx on here for a few months, but I’ve been very busy still developing the game.

Here is the first trailer I’ve created for It Fell to Earth

Ramos
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2023, 01:20:23 PM »

Amazing work!

Question: what is your reaction to the Steam AI ban on AI content games, will that affect you ?

dalepenlington
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2023, 11:52:47 PM »

Thanks! Well it sounds like any and all AI artwork is now being banned by Steam. So yeah it will affect me hugely, as I won’t be able to publish It Fell to Earth to Steam, which is a complete bummer after spending 12 months solid working on the game so far. Anyway not much I can do, is what it is and I’ll keep working on the game.
dalepenlington
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2023, 01:05:35 AM »

Amazing work!

Question: what is your reaction to the Steam AI ban on AI content games, will that affect you ?

I’m also looking into the possibility of replacing all the artwork with none AI art. I have some connections, investors interested, so that will probably be the likely route.
Ramos
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2023, 07:06:08 AM »

Amazing work!

I’m also looking into the possibility of replacing all the artwork with none AI art. I have some connections, investors interested, so that will probably be the likely route.

Sounds like a challenge, this will totally change the development time and costs.

I wish you the best of luck !

mobilelast
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2023, 01:42:29 AM »

Those static images with moving mouths are surely creepy. Something must be seriously wrong in that town.

Good luck for the future. At least you have a first class mood board to work with.

Avaruustaistelupeli (ATP) - a space combat game
- Free download from itch.io or IndieDB
- Dev diary here
BestFriendStudio
Level 0

One man studio with ton of pixels

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2023, 07:29:36 AM »

I really like the trailer and overall atmosphere. Narration keeps the attention as well.  Hand Clap Smiley

In my opinion, in the trailer, those jumps to black screen (when narration occurs) are too sudden. It feels like there's some content missing. Some transition to black would soften that up.

Or you can maybe go a step further and instead of those black shots show some Polaroid like photo (it doesn't even have to be very readable), something like evidence material often seen in movies with similar theme. That way, fake material will support the story further. 

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic