Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411513 Posts in 69380 Topics- by 58436 Members - Latest Member: GlitchyPSI

May 01, 2024, 01:04:55 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingA unique and graphical AI chat game you can play online
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: A unique and graphical AI chat game you can play online  (Read 829 times)
flowerthief
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: April 17, 2023, 12:50:12 PM »

Cheree doesn't know how she died. She doesn't even know why she doesn't know. By "traveling" to dozens of different locations and chatting with her about any topic that comes to mind, the two of you will gradually discover clues that lead to the answers she has been seeking for over 100 years.

The game is something in between interactive fiction, a visual novel, and a chatbot. Well none of those communities show a whole lot of interest in a project like this. Perhaps because it isn't a "proper" VN, etc. It's a hybrid that to me at least is fascinating.

People have been trying to make something like it--a story-driven game with natural language parser--since as far back as Douglas Adams, with limited success. My goal is nothing less than to have the smartest AI in a game with set narrative that yet exists. (it might already be, notwithstanding it frequently misunderstands player input) It will never be remotely close to perfect at understanding natural language, because that is impossible, but it can be "good enough" for its purpose.

An experiment such as this does need a large number of people to use it before the AI, which is handcrafted, reaches that level. I can test it until my fingers fall off but I'll never anticipate all the inputs another player might possibly type, because every person's mind works in different ways. However, by reading play logs and seeing where her responses were bad, I can swiftly and easily make improvements. If you don't get a good response to something you type (within reason) I'll make sure the next player who types it does.

- The game is 99% complete. (can't decide on a title I like)
- Involves historical figures and events from the Victorian era.
- Includes elements of the supernatural and a touch of horror.
- There is a clue deciphering mini-game.
- Also sort of intended, optionally, to be a girlfriend simulator (though this has been at the bottom of my list of priorities to be honest)

If you would like to give me feedback, the area I could most use feedback on is the story.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2023, 08:37:12 AM by flowerthief » Logged
jbarrios
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2023, 06:53:37 PM »

Hey flowerthief,

I played your game

What I liked:
- The chat system is pretty good.  And if she replied in an awkward way I could pass it off on her fuzzy memory.
- I liked the clue puzzle
- The murder mystery aspect is pretty cool

What could use some work:
- I took me a minute to get into the flow of conversation.  I started by trying to lead the conversation.  Things seemed to progress better when she lead things.
- I was led to an area where she mentioned there was a clue.  But I just couldn't figure out what to say to trigger it.
- The game felt a bit uncomfortably voyeuristic.  I think my main issue was the girl seems young.  A little too young.

Very creative idea for a game.  Nice job.
flowerthief
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2023, 10:57:38 AM »

jbarrios, thank you for your playtesting and feedback! Just when I thought nobody was going to.

Hmm, I wonder what more could be done to encourage the sort of balance I want between leading the conversation and letting her lead the conversation. Ideally I want players to do some of both. On the one hand, letting her lead does allow the story to progress along. On the other hand, the player must steer the conversation at times in order to arrive at certain clues. (the clue you missed requires you to probe further about the museum) Relationship level is one incentive to pose comments and questions, as empty inputs don't do anything to increase your level, and too many empty inputs cause her to feel neglected.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic