Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411576 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 05, 2024, 09:46:32 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsBEAT IT UP!!!! (Web mobile game in development)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: BEAT IT UP!!!! (Web mobile game in development)  (Read 601 times)
michealtheratz
Level 0

View Profile
« on: April 26, 2023, 07:00:51 PM »

I was really interested in the power of pwas and their ability to be like native apps. I really want to make an app with the technology but never came up with a good app idea. But, recently i realized that I can use a game engine like haxeflixel (the engine I am using) and then put it on a website where you can install the game as a pwa. I am trying to make the base game loop and release it as soon as possible so I can get feedback. I am hoping to be able to turn this project into something cool with lots of stuff.

Gameplay

In this game, you have to move a paddle with your mouse or finger and make a bunch of little people bounce off of it (basically breakout without the bricks). Also, every 5 points you get another person spawns in. And if you are lucky, a power up that you need to catch with your paddle before it falls into the lava! It will (maybe) also have a shop where you can buy different people with abilities that can do things like get you more coins or other power ups.

Story

You were kidnapped by the mafia and forced to play this game for the rest of your life
 Cry

Planned Characters

Dancing pear (already in game): Image taken from

. Once a internet celebrity and delicious! Now he is a hostage forced to be a slave to this mobile game and fall on a white paddle for the rest of his life. He wishes for the day he will die.

Stickman: Is he a man or a stick? We will never know. He used to be a internet star, being featured in many amature animations. He is now forced to get head trauma for the rest of his life.

MORE COMING SOON!  

Here is a picture!

« Last Edit: April 27, 2023, 02:44:06 PM by michealtheratz » Logged

she/her
michealtheratz
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2023, 02:36:00 PM »

Also a bump lol

she/her
michealtheratz
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2023, 06:27:41 PM »

What I did today (4/28/23)

All I basically added was a new background and a personal high score.

For the background I just picked a random color between red and blue with
Code:
FlxG.random.color(FlxColor.BLUE, FlxColor.RED)
and set it as the background with
Code:
FlxG.camera.bgColor = ...

The personal high score just uses the
Code:
FlxG.save
variable to save stuff locally (planning to implement cloud saves in the future with lootlocker). I just use
Code:
FlxG.save.data.highscore = x;
and then use
Code:
FlxG.save.flush()
to save!

Also, here is a screenshot!

she/her
michealtheratz
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2023, 05:49:54 AM »

Devlog update: NEW UI AND LOOTLOCKER INTEGRATION

I have done a lot since yesterday night! This is actually the first time in a while that I have actually made progress on a non-jam game. Anyway, as the title says, I have updated the UI and added lootlocker integration for leaderboards!

UI: Goodbye "tap to start" and hello play button!

I wanted to add a leaderboard button to the start and end screens, but the current "tap to play" system would not allow it. Because of that, I had to replace it with a button. I made sure to make them big enough so you could press them on a mobile device! I also made all of them in Flash 8. Have a look at the reset menu!

LOOTLOCKER: Let the race begin!

I have also managed to integrate lootlocker into the game. If you don't know what lootlocker is, their website is lootlocker.com if you want to check them out. Anyway, I now have a lootlocker class in the project where I will, over time, as needed, add functions to access the lootlocker API. I am hoping to be able to make this a haxelib when it grows big enough to be useful, but for now it only has functions to authenticate guests and update leaderboards. Speaking of leaderboards, you are now able to submit your personal high score to the leaderboard. Basically, how this works is that when you die, it checks if you have a new personal high score. If you did, the game will send a request to lootlocker to post your new score on the leaderboard. I haven't made a screen where you are able to see the leaderboard yet, so I will do that today. In the meantime, here is the leaderboard in action!

she/her
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic