Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 04:45:23 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingMaking an action platformer!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Making an action platformer!  (Read 546 times)
karadical
Level 0

View Profile
« on: April 29, 2023, 09:38:52 AM »

so, i've been making an action platformer, Reaper's RIP for quite a while. And since my only beta tester's pc died it would be really cool if anyone here could check out the game, and maybe give advice and/or opinion.
Controls:
AD - walk; S - look down/slide; space - jump
LMB - attack; MMB - use item; RMB - dash
E - interact
you can download it on gamejolt (temporary solusion for downloading) - https://gamejolt.com/games/placeholder/787910

begginer game dev guy
deathraydreams
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2023, 08:39:39 AM »

The main theme/loop is great.
I really like the animations. Especially the walking into the portal one. I've exited the game and booted it again just to take a second look.
Since the game doesn't have a mini map [at least for now] it's hard to know exactly where have you been and where you can go. Consider adding it or make the map locations more unique so the player recognizes them better. Figuring out the location can be fun in itself.
I didn't really know how to fight properly. Every time I haven't caused the enemy to stagger i had to tank damage.
I figured you have to dodge but dodging almost every time landed me right inside another enemy.
My suggestion is to make the camera a little further so you can see around more thus giving you more time to react to enemies. Maybe crank up the camera lag so it follows the player slightly slower.
I'd also suggest giving the player more maneuverability in air [dodge in every direction or make it shorter] or test out parrying with proper signaling to the player when the enemy attacks.
Check out the combat in Hollow Knight and Rogue Legacy 2 it may be helpful.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic