Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411504 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 05:26:56 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesAlien Breed style games
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Alien Breed style games  (Read 20784 times)
Carnivac
Level 0

View Profile
« on: July 26, 2009, 07:21:32 AM »

Figured this be the best site on the net to ask about indie games so here we go.

I'm just looking for some top down shooter types I haven't played before.  What I want are ones that feel much like Alien Breed, as in none of that mouse aiming crap that drives me nuts.  Just want simple 4 or 8 direction shooting and can play with my joypad (either with support in game or using JoyToKey if I have to).  And decent pixel graphics.  I've had my own remake of the 8 bit game Into The Eagles Nest in development hell for ages and I'm starting to get motivated again to finish it but I want to play one that I don't know inside and out.

Can anybody recommend any?

AuthenticKaizen
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

*Prestige Worldwide*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 07:52:18 AM »

here on this site are some really nice top down shooters listed for classic consoles.

http://www.retro-sanctuary.com/Top%20Down%20Run%20N%27%20Guns.html

theres also this impressive huge list made by neist of shmups.system11.org.
this list covers hundreds of multidirectional shooters for all diferent systems.
i think this list is pretty unique. great work.

Big List Of Multidirectional Shooters

also check out this thread about top down shooters over at the eurogamer forum

also for freeware 8-way shooting
alien breed: obliteration
kobo deluxe
mechatron 2154
destruction carnival
engage to jabberwock
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 07:58:27 AM by AuthenticKaizen » Logged

PixelProspector.com - the indie goldmine + Marketing Guide for Indie Game Developers             
“Knowing is not enough, you must apply; willing is not enough, you must do.” (Bruce Lee)
Carnivac
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2009, 08:01:11 AM »

Most of those lists are old commercial games on 8 and 16 bit systems that I've known about for years (and owned most at some point) and aren't what I was looking for.  And a couple of the others just seem to be based on Robotron and I've already tried and none of those are anywhere as good as the original and again it's not really what I was looking for.  I want something like Alien Breed where you go explore the levels collect stuff and shoot enemies, not just stay in one screen and shoot everything.

Guess this is futile.  The only one that came close in the last few years was that Aliens - Attack on Colony thing from a while back which was great but I don't think was ever finished, and now they've started a new one but changed to mouse aiming.  Sigh.

I'll give Alien Breed Obliteration a go though I was hoping for something like Alien Breed and not just a direct remake/fangame thing.  Still, looks good.   

EDIT: gave me a program error first time I ran out but seems fine now.  Mostly ripped graphics with a slightly off looking new player sprite but it feels good to play so this'll do for now. 

EDIT2: Or it did.  For some reason all transparent areas around sprites just turned to pink and then the whole screen went white.

Thanks anyways.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 08:31:05 AM by Carnivac » Logged

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2009, 11:48:52 AM »

BOH
Carnivac
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2009, 12:22:37 PM »

Hm no, I really didn't enjoy that at all.  Not fond of screen rotating (one of my earlier GM projects was about doing that until I realised it just gave me a headache) and the constant black blocks 'lighting' just irritated me.  Played a few levels but didn't find it even a little fun, sorry.  Didn't like the graphics much either.

Just forget I asked.  Looks like I'll just stick with the Alien Breeds the originals and that Obliteration one (when it works properly which seems half the times I load it).

Thanks for helping though.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 12:26:31 PM by Carnivac » Logged

Lyx
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2009, 02:42:51 PM »

Sorry to say it, but sadly, there is nothing like that (except of the already linked remake). Not even the official successors were able to keep the atmosphere and gameplay of the original. All of the remotely similiar games added annoying 3d graphics (and yep, Team17 is also going to do that for the upcoming new Alien Breed game), rotation and other stuff.
AuthenticKaizen
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

*Prestige Worldwide*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2009, 04:06:36 PM »

there was also a freeware top down game with similar movement style like in BOH.
just forgot the name. (i think it started with T... or B... but im not sure)
came across like a dos game where you only saw the stuff that were in your sight.
it had some sort of a 3d engine and was mission based.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 04:12:28 PM by AuthenticKaizen » Logged

PixelProspector.com - the indie goldmine + Marketing Guide for Indie Game Developers             
“Knowing is not enough, you must apply; willing is not enough, you must do.” (Bruce Lee)
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2009, 04:12:30 PM »

Cyberdogs and C-Dogs would work. There's a small chance you haven't played them.

AuthenticKaizen
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

*Prestige Worldwide*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2009, 04:16:14 PM »

thanks, but no it was another game.
i remember the characters were pretty small and there was also some blood showcased.

Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2009, 04:19:20 PM »

Oh, sorry, didn't see your post. I was just suggesting some games. Shrug

AuthenticKaizen
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

*Prestige Worldwide*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2009, 04:58:54 PM »

Oh, sorry, didn't see your post. I was just suggesting some games. Shrug

a classical misunderstanding  Wink

GreatFox
Level 0

Fox

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2009, 08:02:21 PM »

there was also a freeware top down game with similar movement style like in BOH.
just forgot the name. (i think it started with T... or B... but im not sure)
came across like a dos game where you only saw the stuff that were in your sight.
it had some sort of a 3d engine and was mission based.

Could it possibly be Tapan Kaikki 4: Bloodshed?
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2009, 12:24:33 AM »

This thread reminds me of Loaded for the PS:

Tom
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2009, 02:14:42 AM »

Yes! I was just going to suggest Loaded, it's probably about as close as you could get. Also it has cool music.

By the way I'm sure you may already know this, but Team 17 are making a new Alien Breed game.

Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2009, 02:50:12 AM »

Figured this be the best site on the net to ask about indie games so here we go.

I'm just looking for some top down shooter types I haven't played before.  What I want are ones that feel much like Alien Breed, as in none of that mouse aiming crap that drives me nuts.  Just want simple 4 or 8 direction shooting and can play with my joypad (either with support in game or using JoyToKey if I have to).  And decent pixel graphics.  I've had my own remake of the 8 bit game Into The Eagles Nest in development hell for ages and I'm starting to get motivated again to finish it but I want to play one that I don't know inside and out.

Can anybody recommend any?

I did one but it uses Mouse aiming, I assure you it's not that crappy anyway, if you want to give it a go: http://armorgames.com/play/3398/darkbase-incubation

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
bigbossSNK
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2009, 07:19:49 AM »

i remember the characters were pretty small and there was also some blood showcased.

Possibly The Chaos Engine
Gravious
Level 2

"Swedish meatballs"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2009, 07:50:54 AM »

Possibly The Chaos Engine

The Chaos Engine was AWESOME

I've been slacking for far too long, but I've recently got back to work on my game engine and an Alien Breed tribute is a major priority for me :D

One day I'll think about doing something to stop procrastinating.
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2009, 08:05:30 AM »

how about BOH? Smiley

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=7269.0;topicseen

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2009, 08:06:12 AM »

I enjoyed

for the PC

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Gravious
Level 2

"Swedish meatballs"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2009, 08:11:08 AM »

if its not top-down, or its not chaos engine style, its not valid.

One day I'll think about doing something to stop procrastinating.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic