Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 04:21:02 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAdult/Educational CompoTower of Babel [FINISHED]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Tower of Babel [FINISHED]  (Read 10071 times)
demolam
Level 0

View Profile
« on: July 26, 2009, 01:09:01 PM »

Finally, after a very hectic week I have finally finished this. Woho! Also, this is the first game I somewhat have completed so please, if you play it leave som feedback. Even if you think it sucks or that it is just to boring to care about. And if you find it interesting you are even more welcome to leave a response.

Tower of Babel is an exploration platformer where you must explore and solve different puzzles and mathematical problems to proceed. The puzzles are also the main educational part. Other than that, you walk around and oppen treasure chests, recieve new abileties and shoot bats and mumies. There is a background story, not to compeling, but I will write it here anyway.

Story:
While you are out on your everyday diging exercise as an archeologist you suddenly stumbles across what must be the entrance to the legendary ziggurat Etemenanki, also known as the Tower of Babel in the Bible. This ziggurat was thought to have been destroyed thousends of years ago, but as you look at the top of your discovery you are more and more convinced that you have found Etemenanki. With slow steps you enter the tower to try to seek its truth.

Constrolls:
WASD - move

S-key - read the stones, open treasure chests

Mouse - aims

Left click - Shoot, bring down window/map

Holding down right mouse button while the mouse is over an enemy/pot - move it around with the mouse (after achieving the uppgrade)

Holding down right mouse button and clicking left button - teleport to that spot (once you've earnd the uppgrade)

Space - look at the map

There is a short re-loading time for the gun in the game. So you can't shoot like a maniac.

Please play it and please leave some feedback! Thank you all! I love you!

Download:
http://willhostforfood.com/users/D/demolam/Tower%20of%20Babel.exe

Edit: Updated screenshots to some from the actual finished game.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 02:28:00 AM by demolam » Logged

"Jag hätär inte Klas-Kent"
SkyBox
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 04:59:23 PM »

The idea reminded me so much of Scarab of Ra...unearthing the top of a pyramid and diving down into it.
demolam
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 02:33:47 AM »

I had never actually heard of Scarab of Ra before you mentioned it, but I looked it up right now and as you said, the story behind the game is very similar. I guess it is an easy way to explain why someone alone dives in to something so unknown. Any way, the inspiration behind the story came from the articles about ancient Babylon and the Tower of Babel at Wikipedia. Also, as far as gameplay is concerned, I think this is something different from Scarab of Ra. At least judging from what I have just read about it.

joseppe
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 05:30:27 PM »

Are we supposed to be able to read those red gravestone things? If so, how?
demolam
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2009, 03:13:51 AM »

Ops! Sorry, missed to write how to read the stones under controlls above. You press the S-key while you are overlapping it to read. The "down"-key so to say. I'll ad it above as well. Same key for opening the treasure chests as well.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 03:18:31 AM by demolam » Logged

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2009, 03:54:59 AM »

Why isn't this called "tower of babe" ?

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
demolam
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2009, 05:53:50 AM »

Why isn't this called "tower of babe" ?

I will forever curse my spelling. That's offcourse what I was going for, I just misspelled it.

Seriously though, I wanted to make a game that was both educational and adult, but the ideas I had would take to long to complete for this competition. For example I wanted to make a game where you would play as the minister of finance, both his private and public life. The public life would be the educational part where you would have to make the right economical decissions, and your private life would be the adult part with sex, hookers, drugs or other scandal material. But as I said, it would take too long to complete. This idea which I made seemd like the one I would most likely complete in some way during the time given.

Ghegs
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2009, 12:36:26 PM »

Well, it was fun enough for me to play through it, once anyway. Though I admit to having to use help in the second puzzle, it's been years since I've done that kind of math. From a gaming standpoint the coins had no purpose whatsoever and some sort of notification when the second puzzle was solved would've been appreciated. I spent like 10 minutes re-checking the math because I assumed a chest would appear like had happened with the first one before I went and did another trip through the place.
Joku
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2009, 12:53:31 PM »

I've noticed a few issues, most notably the lack of sound. This wouldn't be a huge problem if it weren't for the second math puzzle. Currently there is no indication as to whether you got it correct or not. I sat there rechecking my math to make sure I got it right because I thought I hadn't solved the puzzle yet. This is further compounded by the fact that your answer decrements by one whenever you recheck it.

Another issue is the map. When I wasn't in fullscreen, the map was complete gibberish (see here). I then tried it in fullscreen and it was just a black box with a white one showing your relative position (which I imagine is what you had intended).

After you complete a game (either through winning or dieing) you are returned to the main menu, but the mouse cursor does not reappear. If you're in fullscreen, you pretty much have to click randomly to get something to happen, or press alt+F4 to close the game. But not everyone knows about alt+F4.

It would be nice if the gold actually did something, or even if it showed at the end how much gold you had vs how much there was total. There very well may be some sort of bonus if you get all of the gold that I don't know about. Also, do the pots serve any purpose at all beyond that one switch?

Despite everything I've said, I did enjoy the game. I liked the concept and some of the gameplay mechanics. It was far too short however. I understand that you were under a time constraint, but some more puzzles would have been nice.
demolam
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2009, 11:21:55 AM »

Ok, thanks guys for some nice feedback about the actual game (finaly). I understand the problem that there is no indication that the second puzzle is solved, and the idea was to solve it by having a sound play as you suggested. However, as it turned out I had no time to make sounds and include them I simply forgot to put some other notification in there.

As for the gold I had planed to make a highscore table or at least show how much of the total you collected at the end, but again time was running short and there was no way I could incorporate that. Originally I wanted to have an other ending if you collected enough gold, but I rejected that idea quite early due to the lack of time. The reason why the gold is still there is mainly because my experience is that people like to collect stuff, no matter if its usefull or not.

The map is actually a built-in function in Construct (the program I used to make the game) and hence I don't know really why it doesn't work properly all the time. I too did notice this odd behaviour. I will contact the guys making Construct and see why this is happening. As for the mouse on the menu, I saw the same problem when I played through the game this week. The problem was that I did the ending and game over screen right at the end, and I didn't have time to play it through. That's by the way the reason why you see some big pink thing at the end, I just forgot to set it invisible. And the pots serve one more purpose other than that puzzle; they are there as decoration. I had no time to draw more graphics and needed some more decorations to the rooms.

Finally regarding the puzzles, when I was planing the game I also wanted it to be a bit more action oriented with lots of enemies on every screen, end hence I didn't want to have too many puzzles. However as the game turned out, I too think that some more puzzles would have been great. But there where tons of other stuff that I wanted to have in there that I left out and to be honest, more puzzles where not the highest priority. For example I wanted to have a boss fight at the end, a purpose for the gold, more background objects, a real ending sequence and some sounds and music. Anyway, thanks for the nice feeback, I may releas a more polished version later with some sound and music at least.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic