Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 07:35:41 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessMochiAds little letters... help!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: MochiAds little letters... help!  (Read 1786 times)
Martin 2BAM
Level 10

@iam2bam

View Profile WWW
« on: July 26, 2009, 02:13:00 PM »

Part of the Dev's Terms of service says:
(d) By submitting User Submissions to Mochi Media, or displaying, publishing, or otherwise posting any content on or through the Service, you hereby do and shall grant Mochi Media an irrevocable, perpetual, worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, fully paid, sublicenseable and transferable license to use, modify, reproduce, distribute, prepare derivative works of, display, perform, and otherwise fully exploit the User Submissions in connection with the Service and Mochi Media's (and its successors and assigns) business, including without limitation for promoting and redistributing part or all of the Service (and derivative works thereof) in any media formats and through any media channels.

I wanted to add mochiads to a game, but I don't want to give them the right to exploit my ideas.
At any rate, if my idea gets popular, I want to be the one that makes a sequel.

Can someone clarify this for me?

Thanks
-Martín

Working on HeliBrawl
Craig Stern
Level 10

I'm not actually all that stern.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 02:22:43 PM »

I think the "in connection with the Service and Mochi Media's...business" clause is meant to limit its use to advertising their business, which (so far as I know) does not include game development. But I don't blame you for being wary of the extremely broad language they use there, especially since a) they could always later choose to enter the game design business, and b) their successors and assigns (i.e. any companies they choose to assign their rights to) might be involved in game development.

Adhesion contracts like this piss me off. As a general rule, I don't get involved with any company that asks me to sign contracts with provisions like this.

Martin 2BAM
Level 10

@iam2bam

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2009, 04:59:50 PM »

I was interested because "everyone's using it". Perhaps someone that uses the service could share some light in this matter.

Nevertheless, thanks for your opinion!

Working on HeliBrawl
Martin 2BAM
Level 10

@iam2bam

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 10:31:13 AM »

Anyone else has any opinion on this? Are there other more viable ways to add banners to games?

I understand that fully exploit could mean make the most profit from banners, and sublicense could have to do with the distribuition program they have (placing your game at different sites).

But perpetual and, specially, irrevocable seem a bit fascist. Prepare derivative works takes any kind of brand you could develop away from you.

Please, any law-savvy could help me interpret this licence?

Thanks.

Working on HeliBrawl
Triplefox
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2009, 01:46:35 PM »

This has come up before.

But I humbly suggest that you look at the business and not at the contract, because dollars will always trump the letter of the law.

• We already know that Mochiads, as-is, is legit and not a confidence scam.
  • Its leadership is likely to change hands because it's a VC-funded company and likely headed towards an IPO in the future.
  • They currently use this clause to allow your game to be distributed and promoted over their systems.
  • Even if they wanted to do something with your IP, it costs time/money to do so, which subtracts from their current business.

So the risk you run, at most, is that Mochiads gets new executives with the stupid idea of getting out of the "Flash game infrastructure business" and into traditional publishing. Not only is that a waste of their core competency, the result would almost certainly be a class action lawsuit from angry developers. It would be business suicide and you might stand to profit from their stupidity.

That said, under the current leadership I would expect the right decisions to be made. (I've met some of them in person. They do genuinely care about the business they're in.)

Martin 2BAM
Level 10

@iam2bam

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2009, 01:59:38 PM »

Thanks man!

Working on HeliBrawl
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic