Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 09:50:47 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingTata Fantasy Firefighter - A game about a firefighter cat.
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Tata Fantasy Firefighter - A game about a firefighter cat.  (Read 3475 times)
Illgib81
Level 0

View Profile
« on: July 18, 2023, 04:00:48 PM »

Hello everyone, I'm presenting you a demo of my work-in-progress project, Tata Fantasy Firefighter.

https://illgib81.itch.io/tata-fantasy-firefighter

The game takes place in a small village and you make use of your magic to help extinguish fires.

Who's Tata, and why a cat you may ask?

I always loved firefighting games but I struggled to find some good ones until I decided to make one myself and even learn game development with Unreal Engine.

When I was working on the fire mechanics, the most important in those games, different settings took shape in my head until I decided to model the protagonist after our cat, Tata, as our daughter used to call her.

There's no story at the moment or interactions with the npcs; there are several different houses to set on fire, and once all are done the game shows a winning message.

I built it with UE5, i'm trying to make use of Lumen to get soft dynamic lighting that's not too heavy on the gpu.

I'm still relying on premade assets, but I've modeled some of the furniture and the characters, and as development goes on I'll try to gradually substitute the assets with original models.

Pity I don't yet have a requirement table since I still need some feedbacks at regards, i'm using my working PCs with a Ryzen 9 5950x, Rtx 2060 Super and 32GB Ram.
I've only briefly tested it on an old laptop without a dedicated GPU, and it wasn't exactly a smooth experience, so any detailed info about performances on your rigs is definitely welcome.

I've already worked on optimizations in the first update and should run smoothly on a fairly range of rigs, in any case there are three levels of details to choose from.

Only mouse and keyboards are supported.

What else? I'm open to suggestions, criticism, and whatever you may want to ask.

Well, happy firefighting and stay safe!
Cheers   Beer!

Illgib81
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2023, 05:08:01 AM »

Just a general question, how can i resize the images in the post? They are pretty small to see them.
jbarrios
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2023, 05:06:11 PM »

Hey Illgib,

I played your game:

Illgib81
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2023, 08:00:43 PM »

Thank you, i really appreciated the video review.
I can confirm that most of the "complaint" are alredy on my to-do list, i'm actually working on the rebuild part were you gather wood and stones and rebuild the houses.
Npc's are the next ones, i would like to remove the ! mark and have someone calling or pointing at the house.
At the moment the village and the buildings are pretty empty 'cause i didn't know yet how to deal with spawn/despawn or change animation of npc's and having a dude chillin' in the fire wasn't very visually interesting XD

I thinked about building collapsing, and i had a previous test were instead of several flames spawning around, the modular pieces took fire but i had problem mainly with the fire counting and with the timing too, resulting in almost never spreading fire or incontrollable one, so i come back to the spreading flames.

I tried to have at least the roof pieces to set off but had the same problem, some times the game counted some other don't so some mission couldn't be completed, and i had to sacrifice that part, i have decreased the health so they burn pretty quicly (are made of straw afterall).
In the end i prefered a visual effect of the burned building or else if i had all the wood parts to collapse, the player could simply wait and let the fire set by itself or get stuck in the building dying or unable to reach some flames, that are static and you can notice in that build that some float when furnitures brake, i resolved the issue removing collisions against flames on the destructibles, previous i tried with physyc enabled fires but frames tanked a lot even in smaller houses.

In the end i'd like to keep things simple, i'm not really going for a simulator, i'm targeting younger players aswell.

I have a bit of story alredy in mind and a villain/boss, so the fires will have a sense, i'll try set a missions like system instead of the random one.

But you know, before adding the sauce i need a solid fundation underneath.

For the record, what's your specs and have you tried to see how much fps you get? The video seems pretty smooth though.
If you don't have one you could open the console with ~ or \ depending on your keyboard, and use Stats FPS to see them, you could even use Stats Unit to have some more informations like frame time and such, but those are more useful when i'm profiling.

Anyway, thanks again for the video and the review, i really appreciated :D Beer!
jbarrios
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2023, 08:23:26 PM »

My FPS sits around 90 without recording software going.

I have a decent rig:
Intel i7-10700F CPU, 2.9 GHz
2 Cores
16 GB RAM
Illgib81
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2023, 05:41:44 AM »

Hello everyone, after a long and a bit rough post summer, the new update it's finally arrived.
Hope you'll like the new stuffs i added and, as usual, feedbacks are welcome.
Cheers!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic