Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411502 Posts in 69379 Topics- by 58435 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 30, 2024, 06:34:01 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsChrono Blazer - Timeloop shmup with upgrades and exploration
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Chrono Blazer - Timeloop shmup with upgrades and exploration  (Read 1933 times)
AdamM
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: July 20, 2023, 04:24:59 AM »

What is it?

Chrono Blazer is a 2D, side scrolling shoot-em-up with an upgradeable ship, set in a time loop. Collect resources and defeat deadly foes, all while outrunning a cataclysmic blast.

Chrono Blazer blends the fast paced action of an arcade shooter, the exploration and gated progression of a Metroidvania, and the run-based, upgrade focused experience of a rogue-lite. Direct influences include Fantasy Zone, Metroid, Zelda (Majora's Mask, A Link Between Worlds), Lords of Thunder, R-Type, Rogue Legacy and Outer Wilds.

Explore a hand crafted world as you upgrade your ship, and your own skills, to increase your chances of survival. The game is being designed to support different play styles and skill levels, with an open ended approach to progression.

How far along is it?

Chrono Blazer has been in development since early 2022 using Game Maker. It is primarily a solo effort by Adam McDonald (https://adammcd.com) with music and sound effects by Juan Santana. All elements of the game are pre-alpha and subject to change. This is a hobby project for the time being, worked on in the spare moments of our busy lives. If all goes well, it will be released commercially in some form.

Currently, we are targeting a playable vertical slice demo for the first half of 2024.

Does it have a story?

Yes! Details on the story will be shared in future updates. The journey of the player character and the state of the world are important parts of the game.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2023, 07:02:47 PM by AdamM » Logged

AdamM
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2023, 05:34:59 AM »

Here's some raw uncut gameplay footage:

AdamM
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2023, 04:52:36 AM »

Playtesting

I was at my second Full Indie event in Vancouver (in Richmond this time, actually) since their post-pandemic return in 2023. Similar to the first one, I had a lot of conversations introducing myself along the lines of "I work in the game industry, and I also have an indie project I'm working on..." followed by questions if I could show it to them. This time I at least had a video, unlisted on YouTube. But nothing playable.

I had conflicting feelings on showing the game. On one hand, the content I've actually created is quite short. Just a handful of rooms. Most of my work has gone into figuring out the core gameplay and making things functional, and becoming more comfortable with pixel art. I am a level designer by trade and think a lot about the way I want the game's world to flow, but very little of that had made it to the game yet.

One comment resonated with me, from someone who always brings his game to these events for feedback. He talked about how Valve does playtesting super early, referencing a recent Game Maker's Toolkit episode on the topic. To add fuel to the fire, that same evening I played another developer's game that was an Advance Wars-like game with no working enemy AI yet. He just wanted to get feedback on what was there - building and controlling your own units.

So, at my third Full Indie I brought Chrono Blazer.

I sat a little bit awkwardly with a laptop, sitting on a barebones "Press A to Start" main menu. I had printed out the controls for the game, thinking that if for some reason I can't pay attention to the setup people could at least figure out how to play. After a few minutes, I glanced up and made eye contact with someone. He came over and played, and once gameplay was on the screen people kept coming over.

There was a pretty steady stream of players in the first hour of the event, leading up to presentations by a couple of speakers. I saw that some elements of the game "just work", which was great. Other things were clearly too hard, and other things were very unclear. And a handful of people ran into the fact that I just haven't made much content yet.

I'm not a stranger to playtesting. Something my work in the game industry has given me is the understanding that nobody (I really mean nobody) is a good game designer in a vacuum. Showing your work to other people is crucial. Still, there is something quite humbling about realizing something is wrong with your assumptions and then having to sit there for an hour and have it proven over and over. In the moment, I started to feel a bit flustered with playtesting. I think some people thought I was showing off a demo to impress them, when really this was a rough-around-the-edges work in progress.

On reflection, what was I really trying to learn with playtesting? And what were the main takeaways?

The player is expected to die, and they will be restarting the game each time (for now - I plan to implement checkpoints). There is no procedurally generated content, so it's the same each time. Do people find that annoying? Tiring?

Luckily, no! Everyone I asked said they didn't mind. One person said he would want to "grind it out". I also had two paths the player could take set up, so people would tend to bounce between the two. However, some people would die once and hand me the controller thinking that was it.

The ship movement is also a little weird. My main inspiration for that is Fantasy Zone, which features a small ship that can move in 8 directions and never stops moving. When you stop pushing a direction in Chrono Blazer, the ship will idle at a slower speed in the last direction you input. You never fully stop. Will that feel weird to people?

I had no comments about the ship feeling weird to control, and whenever I asked the response almost seemed like confusion. It just works and people seemed to vibe with it immediately.

You collect something I'm calling Flux Crystals to use as a currency to buy upgrades for your ship. Will that be clear to people?

Yes, but my "economy" was way off. Some people played for a while and could never afford a single upgrade. I also think the pacing of the real game (which will have some story sequences and tutorialization interspersed with the opening moments, not just dropping the player in cold) will help. The game was also really hard (more on that later) so without upgrades, people would lose their motivation to continue.

You need to shoot a special object to collect a special resource to "Level Up". Will that be clear to people?

Absolutely not. Nobody understood this. I think dialog and tutorials can support this better. There is nothing in the game telling you about this object at all, and the object you need to shoot takes a few hits. When you're trying to survive (the game has time pressure!), it's something easy to deprioritize. It's not trying to kill you and it's hard to kill. It makes sense people will skip it.

Is the difficulty right?

It was too hard. I do have to be a bit conscious of audience here though - some people got the hang of it quickly and burned through everything I had to show in a few minutes. Others probably could have played what I had to show for an hour and not get through it all. Who am I targeting? Is this game for more hardcore audiences? Ultimately, I think I do want it to be manageable and fun for a variety of skill levels. The game will be hard, but I want to give people a chance to find their footing and push through.

In one kind of embarrassing moment, I had an experienced developer very calmly explain that one of my hazards needs a "tell". I knew it did but put it in anyway, thinking I'd just show everything I have. It shows that certain things probably can be playtested too early. Everyone got hung up on that hazard. On that note, a little bit of polish helps. Some of my rougher tile work seemed to make certain areas harder to read, and I had a couple of bugs I've known about for months but people kept hitting. They're easy for me to ignore, but it's confusing for someone who's just been handed the controller to suddenly lose their cursor on a menu or have the camera pan over to reveal the empty space beyond what they're supposed to be seeing.

What's next?

The playtest was ultimately really motivating for me, and I made some changes almost immediately. Enemy fire rates were reduced. Cost of upgrades was reduced. The giant explosion that follows you everywhere shakes the screen (as a warning) a bit earlier.

There are some other things I have been working on since or plan to work on soon to address some issues and lead to more fruitful future playtests:

Some helpful items to buy early in the game.
-This serves two purposes - gives players something to spend their money on if they've maxed out the upgrades at their current level, and makes the game easier.
-Ideas for this are a deployable shield and a "stasis bomb" that freezes enemies in place.

Get some rough narrative in.
-I always saw this as a "later" thing, but I think onboarding players into what they're doing and why is important.

More content!
-This is time consuming, but it needs to happen. I have enough pieces working now that I should be able to double what I have now within a reasonable timeframe. Some players may still reach the "end" of what I've got.
-Ultimately, the game world will have to be finite. So this is an interesting problem to explore.

I also toyed with a rewind mechanic after this, with the idea being that players struggling with the game have a safety net but it uses the same resource as some of your other abilities, so you're sacrificing your ability to use them. I got a basic version of this working, and pretty quickly realized it broke a lot of what I'm trying to accomplish with this game. It may come back as a late-game upgrade, but for now it has been shelved.

nathy after dark
Level 8

Open Sourceress

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2023, 11:25:47 AM »

This combination of genres sounds pretty great. I'll stay tuned!

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2023, 06:10:30 AM »

Nice to read you had such a good time with the public playtest, I imagine that must have been nerve-wracking!
AdamM
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2023, 04:42:09 PM »

This combination of genres sounds pretty great. I'll stay tuned!
Thank you!

Nice to read you had such a good time with the public playtest, I imagine that must have been nerve-wracking!
Yes, it’s always hard but better than waiting too long and realizing the game just isn’t fun and it’s too late to fix. One of those “eat your vegetables” game dev moments.

AdamM
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2023, 05:49:35 AM »

Here's another wordy post. Hoping to post fun stuff like gifs in the near future!

Inspiration - Part 1

In the fall of 2021, I had a lot going on. My daughter was only a few months old, my son had just turned two. My family had just moved into a new home. It was less than a year after my mom had died. In all that chaos, things were starting to settle back into something resembling normalcy, at least as much as they could during the COVID-19 pandemic. This was after dealing with the immediate aftermath of a parent's death (though the grieving process was, and still is, far from over). This was after welcoming our second child, and all the sleepless nights and worries that come with a new baby. This was after working hard to get our chaotic home ready to list, house hunting in a brutal market, and then somehow getting the packing and the move done with a newborn, a toddler and a dog.

When I was still in the thick of the first half of 2021, I found myself turning to retro games. Initially, the ones from my childhood. I distinctly remember firing up Yoshi's Island and feeling like I stepped into a time warp. Three key moments in my life came to mind when I played it:

At a friend's house, he had just rented it. I'm about seven. He's a few months away from moving away and our friendship ending.

At my dad's house, my parents have just split up. I'm nine. I dragged my dad to the local used game shop and saw this game I had always kind of wanted for $10, just the cartridge.  He's probably thinking about how he just bought us a Nintendo 64 a few months ago and now I'm buying a Super Nintendo game.

At my mom's house, I'm a teenager. I'm revisiting my SNES a lot. I've become entrenched in thinking and reading about the "greatest games of all time" and decide to finally go back and beat Yoshi's Island. I'm in my bedroom and finally reach the credits. I can practically feel myself there. The smells of home. Our dog, long passed, probably watching me or sitting on my foot. Maybe I'm being called for dinner.

-----

My experience with Yoshi's Island was mixed. It's still a great game, and I had that amazing time warp feeling. But I was playing it on my modern TV, via Nintendo Switch Online. For the first time ever, I found the buttons just didn't quite do what I expected. Something was off.

I went down a rabbit hole of learning about input latency, display latency, emulation errors. Where it took me was MiSTer FPGA, a device for hardware emulation (as opposed to software emulation), with the appeal being game performance and presentation extremely accurate to original hardware, with the best possible image quality you can get (I still have my SNES and games, but composite signal on a flat panel isn't great) and any latency you might experience is down to your own controller or TV, with lots of resources for finding the controllers and TVs that have the least latency. I could even hook it up to a CRT, if I had one.

In the fall of 2021, I still had retro games on the mind. Though I had moved away a little bit from reflection and more toward discovery. I was waiting for my MiSTer to arrive, shipping from Europe to Canada. I found myself listening to reviews and retrospectives about classic games on YouTube while working, mixed with retro tech discussions and general MiSTer news.

When I wasn't working, the kids dominated. Our routine at the time was that my wife would go to bed with our son, our daughter turning out to be a relatively easy baby who had just recently moved out of a bassinet and into her own crib. I would have an hour or so by myself, then my wife would leave our son's room after he fell asleep and we'd hang out for a bit, then we'd go to bed. I never really knew what to do with my hour alone. I'd do some cleaning up, then I'd sit there overwhelmed by my options. I had been so busy for so long that I really didn't know what to do with the time. I had just recently stopped being the parent my son wants with him at bed time (and soon after, I'd become that parent again and remain that parent to this day).

For some reason, after moving I had decided to charge my 3DS in the living room. I was not a frequent user of my 3DS at the time. This one evening, I picked up the 3DS. I can't even remember what my intent was. Maybe to dive back into an eShop game I never finished. What ended up happening was seeing a game I had completely forgotten I ever bought, Sega 3D Classics Collection. With retro games firmly on my mind, it was an obvious choice.

After trying out a few of the games offered in the collection, I finally landed on Fantasy Zone II and played for a while. I had always been curious about the Fantasy Zone games, but had never played them. One of those 80's "arcade classics" that didn't seem to stick around into the 90's arcades of my childhood. It's a sidescrolling shooter series with infinitely looping stages filled with surreal imagery. You play as a tiny winged ship that shoots at enemies and takes out their bases to cause a boss to appear, and move on to the next stage after the boss is defeated. Almost like Defender on acid (and a lot more approachable than I'd ever found Defender to be, personally).

A standout element of the game for me was the shop feature. You collect money in the game, and when you encounter a shop you can purchase upgrades for your ship. It got me thinking - it's fun to save up some in-game money to buy items, but it kind of sucks to have to restart that whole loop after running out of credits. Surely that's arcade game design - you've sunk the cost in to upgrade, why not put in some more quarters and keep going? In a world without credits, how could this design evolve? My mind immediately went to rogue-lites like Rogue Legacy, which let you upgrade your character (or lineage, in this case) between runs and progress along the upgrade path is saved.

I've lived much of my life with game ideas floating around my head, and occasionally I try to make them. At this point in time, it had been a while since I'd put serious effort into any of them. In 2019, I was very much into fighting games and decided to try to make a basic 3D fighter in  Unreal. I made some okay progress on a camera system and UI, then started to do some animation and felt good seeing it on-screen, but I pretty quickly lost steam. I had this idea that I'd animate one character, only allow local PVP, and release the game as a 1.0 version on Itch.io and if I wanted more (or the game somehow found an audience) I'd slowly add features in sequels. Even with that relatively small scale, the thought of animating one character and then trying to code everything in Blueprint (or learn C++) was daunting. The bit of Blueprint scripting I'd done already was feeling super complicated for something meant to be "simple". I remember trying to work on this a bit when my son was born, thinking I'd have time during parental leave, and then just dropping it and never coming back.

In the fall of 2021, I was inspired again.

AdamM
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2023, 09:29:26 AM »

The promised fun stuff! My general plan for dev logging is to chronicle the process so far, and then once I get to that point I'll start doing the more usual "what I got done this week" type of stuff.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2023, 01:39:16 PM »

So just sat down to read the wordy post Wink

I never heard of Fantasy Land, but since you mentioned it I looked it up and I can see the inspiration Smiley. Making it a roguelite with an upgrade path sounds like it could be fun!
AdamM
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2023, 07:50:14 AM »

So just sat down to read the wordy post Wink

I never heard of Fantasy Land, but since you mentioned it I looked it up and I can see the inspiration Smiley. Making it a roguelite with an upgrade path sounds like it could be fun!

Thanks for giving it a read! I’ve had some positive comments from a few people on this (also posted elsewhere), which feels good because I wasn’t sure if anyone would read it!

AdamM
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2023, 04:14:56 AM »

Inspiration - Part 2

The Notes app on my phone is filled with snapshots of ideas. Some are short and concise, like this idea for a Caillou-inspired game I had written down in June 2021 and forgotten about until finding it just now:

Each Day I Grow Some More
Play as a Caillou-esque little boy. Engage in activities in a small environment to complete a "day", the next day you're a bit bigger. Eventually larger than Earth, larger than the solar system, eating galaxies. Growing up is not so tough... except when I've had enough!

(now I feel inspired to make that as a side project)

Others are long, stream-of-consciousness dumps of whatever comes to mind, trying to figure out the core of a game and all the important elements. For this Caillou game it might be a paragraph about how the little boy would control, what exactly you'd do to "grow up", how long the game would be.

By winter of 2021, I had received my MiSTer FPGA in the mail and had dove in deep on classic games, mostly ones I had never played or played very little. I beat Sonic the Hedgehog 2, one of just a handful of Sega Genesis games I owned as a kid (the pack-in with my console!), for the first time in my life. I also discovered how great the Bonk games are, and that set me off down the rabbit hole of PC Engine/TurboGrafx-16 games. Anyone familiar with that library knows it's stacked with one genre in particular – 2D shooters.

My own history with 2D shooters/shoot-em-ups/shmups was limited. A friend of mine had Raiden Trad for the Super Nintendo, a top down shooter that seems to be a decent conversion of a good arcade game. I also remember playing R-Type DX on a different friend's Game Boy Color, finding it extremely hard and then deciding I don't like side-scrolling spaceship shooters as a result. I dabbled in things like Darius over the years, but for the most part stuck to top-down games. Select ones. I was drawn to Treasure's Ikaruga because of its polarity mechanic, and honestly probably the fact that it was a Dreamcast game ported to GameCube (being a proud owner of both a Dreamcast and a GameCube). I bought Radiant Silvergun as soon as it hit the Xbox 360, its first official English-language version, mostly motivated by it being developed by Treasure as well. I'd drop a few quarters into top-down shooters in the occasional instance I visited an arcade, games I can't recall the names of but in retrospect some of them were almost certainly developed by Cave.

Having enjoyed my time with Fantasy Zone so much, I decided to give more horizontal scrolling shooters a try. I had a nugget of an idea to do research for, so the research was always in the back of my mind. As I delved into the genre (subgenre?) more and more on MiSTer, here are some games I remember standing out:

Cotton
This broke the "side scrolling" curse for me in a big way. I think swapping out a tiny spaceship for a big sprite of a witch on a broomstick helps, and the levels really feel dynamic and interesting.

Magical Chase
Continuing the theme of a witch on a broomstick. This one has a shop mechanic! That was practically the holy grail for me during this research. The main character also has a beefy health bar, which is interesting in the genre - usually the norm is dying on a single hit. I sat down and played through most of this game in my first sitting with it, but something kind of bothered me as I got deeper into it. I kept collecting resources to power up my character, and upon dying I could basically just keep using them. It started to feel like this was simply going to be a war of attrition, where eventually I power up my character enough that I just brute force my way through the game. This didn't seem fun to me, so I opted to end my playthrough instead.

R-Type
The original R-Type is probably my #1 touchstone when it comes to pacing, enemy variety and overall gameplay feel and the flow I want the player to feel. For a while I would sit down and play R-Type every day, seeing how far I could get. It was one of my first real attempts to "learn" an arcade shooter, although to this day I have not finished it or even really come close. It's kind of the opposite of Magical Chase in that you don't get to keep anything when you die, so it can be a frustrating experience to be a few levels in and now you're back to basics. The game is fairly good about giving you some power ups at the start of each level, at least.

Lords of Thunder
This game is infamous for its over the top presentation and CD-enhanced heavy metal soundtrack. Although it retains the usual arcade-style game loop, there is quite a lot of choice from the player - they can choose from several armor sets with different abilities, choose which level to attempt first, and choose how to spend their money after completing a level or dying. Another game with a shop! This shop feels nicely balanced for the game, giving the player a leg up but still requiring some level of mastery of the game mechanics. Something really interesting to me is that even your health needs to be purchased. You're always able to choose if you want to enhance your defense or offence, and you have a few ways to do both.

---

Development of Chrono Blazer started at the very end of 2021, in my Notes app. I wrote a note called "Shooter thing" and started with basic mechanics - "Go back in time and collect a resource. Come back to the 'present', upgrade ship. Side view, free movement left and right with vertical scrolling as well." Eventually I started writing about the story: "All part of some pivotal apocalyptic moment. Player controls an amnesiac pilot slowly piecing things together..."

I recall having this vision in my head of something quite close to Fantasy Zone, with free scrolling in an infinite loop and a boss at the end. However, thinking about actually working on this isn't that exciting to me. Fantasy Zone already exists. The recent remasters of the games add some of the mechanics I had in mind already and, as much as I was inspired by them, they're not even close to something I'd consider among my favourite games of all time. Those spots are held by games like Zelda and Metroid.

There's also the consideration of skillset. Creating levels manually is time consuming. The iterative process can be grueling. In many ways, it's simpler to just have open space with enemies that spawn in. They can even be procedurally spawned. But I don't know how to do that. I do know how to make levels, and have done it as my full time job for years. I know it can be grueling, but I also know I'm equipped to take that on.

So I decided the game needed designed spaces with walls, obstacles, cool hand-crafted moments. The idea being that a single run through feels like an arcade shooter, like R-Type or Cotton, but that you would retry after upgrading your ship. Next time, you'll be stronger and better at the game, and potentially unlock new paths with your upgrades. Which is where the inspiration from games like Metroid comes in.  It seemed obvious to me that the game should take place in one large world, gradually uncovered by making expeditions in new directions.

By this point, my one hour of free time at the end of each day had come to an end. I was more likely to go to bed with my son around 9 PM, pass out on his floor, and wake up at 2 AM with a sore back. Sometimes I'd go back to sleep, sometimes I couldn't. During a lot of these sleep-deprived nights, I'd just lay awake thinking about this "shooter thing". I didn't always write things down, as there are some pretty key ideas that aren't present in any of my notes from that time.

One of these ideas was the concept of a giant explosion that's perpetually on your tail. Whether or not I should try to cater to a hardcore shmup audience, I do find it insightful to hear their perspective on why they like the games and what they consider to be the essential hallmarks of the genre. Watching a video by YouTuber The Electric Underground (see below) planted the seed in me that there needs to be something compelling you forward, something he considers essential in a shmup. If you put the controller down, the game doesn't stop. Things are going to play out without you.  A giant, slowly growing explosion does the trick. Particularly when paired with a ship that can never fully stop and will move at a slower "idle" speed when you aren't manually pushing a direction.

However, I wasn't just blindly trying to make sure my game is "shmup" enough (though I do see value in respecting what works about the genre and not straying too far from it). It happens to solve a problem I had  – I want the player to die and retry a lot. What if they just hang out and try to get the most out of a single life? I had already decided against auto scrolling, so the explosion thing slotted in nicely. Something about the idea of it is striking to me too. I thought it would be impactful and dramatic and add a lot of needed tension to the game.

So, I had nailed down some essentials:

• 2D shooter with 8-way movement in all directions.
  • Earn currency, buy upgrades after death.
  • Large interconnected world with hand-crafted level design.
  • Giant explosion trying to kill you.

And during one of those sleep deprived nights, I decided to start making it.

(the video referenced above)

« Last Edit: August 03, 2023, 04:44:32 AM by AdamM » Logged

AdamM
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2023, 01:24:41 PM »

I removed “metroidvania” from the thread title and replaced with “adventure”. There is a degree of gated progression planned, but I think trying to make sure it feels Metroid-y was causing me to make decisions that don’t serve the game very well. My current thinking is that it’s better to give the player the ability to make choices, feel things out, and progress as they see fit. Some items may be required to make that happen, or may make things easier, but I’m really not looking to creat lock-and-key setups with one answer. I also think it’s best to make most of the possible abilities available early, so that players have a lot of choices in what to spend their funds on when they’re thinking about upgrades.

AdamM
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2023, 11:15:54 AM »

One of my big issues when playtesting was people not realizing they need to shoot a specific object to essentially gain experience and level up. It's meant to be something that breadcrumbs you through the game and forces you to make progress, not simply grinding in one area until you've fully upgraded and then taking on the rest of the game. Leveling up unlocks new types of upgrades as well as enhanced versions of your existing upgrades, all of which still need to be bought with currency.

I was questioning myself on this a lot and thinking about if that system even makes sense. Should I just let people buy whatever? That very same object (I had been calling them "anomalies" at one point) used to simply give a one-time large cash bonus, and I considered going back to that.

However, for now I think I've landed on something that works pretty well. I have walls associated with the anomalies (I guess I'll still call them that), which are destroyed when the anomaly is destroyed. So it becomes a lock and key thing, that you only need to do once for each, and it gives you an important reward.

I'm planning for bosses to be similar, using the same visual language as the anomalies (black, crusted object with a glowing white core) and blocking off progress forward until they're defeated. I very much don't want players to have to defeat bosses more than once each. I also prefer giving XP as a reward over money for defeating bosses, because money is dealt with a multiplier for how long you've been alive. I don't want players riding that out and killing the boss (which you only do once each) at the last possibly second. So it all kind of wraps it up in a nice little package.

The lock and key portion also telegraphs an anomaly in the room, which is a nice bonus! I can plop an "anomwall" down, and it signals to the player that "hey, you should look around for an anomaly to shoot". Overall I'm feeling very encouraged by my solution to this problem right now. Let's see if it all comes crashing down next time I have someone play the game  Cheesy

AdamM
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2023, 06:07:41 AM »

Playtesting 2 - Still hard, now fun

This past July, I brought Chrono Blazer to the monthly Full Indie event in Richmond, BC and watched people play my game for the first time. I wrote about this experience, and although it was painful in some ways it gave me a lot of insight and has helped direct me in the intervening months.

Part of me didn't want to bring the game back in September. I had already missed the August meet up, because I wasn't feeling well that day. I'm not sure I would have brought the game even if I was healthy, or maybe I would have kept my laptop in a backpack and only brought it out by request.

I just felt like there wasn't enough stuff in the game, that people would see it all and say "that's it?"

However, my concern over the game coming across undercooked or too early or too sparse in content was being overridden by something else. I knew just how valuable it was to see the game played by strangers back in July, how it changed my approach to the game and led me to decisions I would have never reached otherwise. So, in September I brought Chrono Blazer back to Full Indie.

What was new?

Part of my response to the July feedback was to agonize over the design a little, try out a big new idea, scrap it, and then try out some smaller ideas.

I agonized over what to do about the player's progression. As I write this I realize I've never written about the design in much detail, so here's a bit of a breakdown:

- The player collects a currency to buy upgrades for their ship. The most basic are things that improve damage output and movement speed. There are also new abilities, and in the past month or so I've added consumable items.
- Not all upgrades are available at once. The player also has a Tech Level, and reaching the next Tech Level will unlock more things to buy for the ship.
- The Tech Level is upgraded by shooting and destroying an object in the game called an Anomaly. Anomalies do not respawn and appear scattered throughout the world. I plan for bosses to also be a form of Anomaly that can fight you, making it clear to the player that killing a boss means you will get a big boost to your Tech Level progress, and that killing a boss is permanent.

During the previous playtest, people saw Anomalies and shot at them. They take a few hits though, so when players didn't take them out immediately they'd usually move on. Unthreatening little ball, jiggling in place, while a giant wall of death is closing in. Easy choice.

I had a lot of thoughts about what to do about this, including completely redesigning the progression system, and decided on a fairly simple solution instead. Anomalies now have a wall associated with them, so each time you see an Anomaly there is also a similar looking wall beside it. This stops the player from simply blowing past the anomaly, and also introduces a mechanic that I think has some meat on it. Early on, anomalies will be obvious and directly in the player's path, near the wall associated with them. But later on, I can put the walls in and then hide the Anomaly and players will know they need to seek it out.

Aside from the lack of leveling up I saw at the first playtest, it was also clear the game was generally much too hard. I immediately, live at the venue, started tweaking values to make things easier. I reduced firing speeds for enemies, reduced how fast the death wall catches up to you, reduced the number of enemies in some areas. In the intervening weeks, I undid a lot of these changes. The game didn't need to be easy moment to moment, the player just needed the right tools to overcome the challenge.

One tool I experimented heavily with was a rewind mechanic. I did some research into how to do this in Game Maker, and was relieved and excited to find it broken down quite clearly in a forum post. I had to make some changes to get it working, and even once I "got it" there was a lot of busy work involved (every object needed fairly significant edits to account for a rewind mechanic). Ultimately though, I felt it ran counter to the game design. I want players to die often, buy upgrades and retry. A rewind mechanic lets them retry where they stand, and I think the brisk loop I want is completely lost. I do, however, think this could be a great mechanic to introduce late in the game to switch things up. So it's not quite dead yet.

I ended up introducing the concept of items instead. I implemented two items - the Shield and the Stasis Bomb.

The Stasis bomb was the harder of the two to implement, both in terms of design and technical considerations. I messed around a lot with what it looks like, how the player uses it, and how it affects enemies. What I landed on is a little bomb that shoots out in front of the player, explodes into a large circle, and every enemy caught in that circle is frozen briefly. It looks like this:

The Shield was fairly straight forward. It was weirdly hard to get the sprite to look right, something I thought was going to be extremely simple. I had known for a long time I wanted a Shield item and that it should enter a "deactivation" state when the player is hit, in which it remains active for a few more seconds but it's clear it's about to go away. Luckily, this general concept works and felt good right away. It begins deactivation after one hit, but after that one hit you can take several more hits as it is deactivating. It looks like this:

During the last playtest, I had electrical hazards in one area. I had built the area hastily the day of the playtest, wanting two paths to be available. I decided to theme the area around the electrical hazard, which is something I had created months before that but never really built gameplay around. It had issues, most of which was not having a proper tell. Lots of people got hung up on them. Rather than improve the electrical hazard (something I still want to go back and do), I added a new type of hazard to theme the area around - Proximity Doors. These doors begin to close when you come near, requiring the player to use their Boost ability to get through. They look like this:

I also made various tweaks to the level design, fixed some egregious bugs (big ones being the camera failing to follow the player properly in specific situations and the store UI becoming unresponsive), adjusted the store economy and progression (and added text to the items saying what "type" they are - item, upgrade, new ability), a little bit of level art (some areas looked quite rough last time), added new level content, improved some of the enemies, and added a health upgrade to the store.

The items are cheaper than upgrades and new abilities, and the health upgrade is the most expensive thing in the store by a wide margin. I felt it was important to have cheap expendable items that the player has to buy continuously, as well as something expensive to aspire toward.

I also updated the music in the Shop, with a song provided by my audio partner Juan months ago but never implemented by me (it ultimately took about 5 minutes).

Playtesting

Full Indie used to take place in bars in downtown Vancouver or the front lobby of Vancouver Film School. As of a few months ago, it takes place at The Gaming Stadium in Richmond, a suburb of Vancouver (known as the home of Vancouver International Airport and some of the most amazing Chinese food you can find in North America). The Gaming Stadium, at least the part of it used for Full Indie, is a big room with a projector screen and a bunch of gaming setups scattered around. I chose a desk, moved the keyboard and mouse out of the way, and plopped down my laptop with an Xbox controller and headphones attached.

Someone came by to try it out almost immediately, and from there I had observers who would jump in one after the other in fairly quick succession. I was nervous, but did my best to manage it. As people played, my nerves melted away. The game still has some rough edges, but it's fun!

Everyone that played, even people who said they "don't usually like this kind of game" or are "bad at games" kept playing for a while. They'd retry hard sections over and over, saving their currency to buy that next upgrade that's just out of reach. I had several comments along the lines of "I want to keep playing but I'll let someone else try". Some of this comes down to being respectful and polite during what is partially a networking opportunity. But last time, I could see people's frustrations more clearly. I could tell some people just didn't "get" the game. There was none of that this time.

The game is still a bit too hard. I talked about this a lot with people playtesting, and actually got some comments like "don't make it easier, I just need to get better." But I think the store economy is still a little off, some of the enemy placements are a little bit unfair to players, and collision on the player character could be more forgiving (I had made it a little forgiving already, but noticed people hitting things they thought they shouldn't). I ultimately didn't need to worry about lack of content because nobody was seeing it all anyway (except the one guy that did, a repeat player from last time).

Items were interesting, because people bought them but they didn't really use them. Or they'd try them once but never again. I think I'll lean toward making them even cheaper, so they're almost a no-brainer to try at least once and see what they're about. They both have a bit of a learning curve, so I could see their cost during this playtest (roughly half the cost of a permanent upgrade) being too steep. The health upgrade was great though - it meant that even when the store was otherwise completely bought out, playtesters had that extra little carrot on the stick to work toward.

The Anomaly wall was practically a non-factor, since I put Anomalies near the ends of the two main paths and hardly anyone got there. There are also a handful of "hidden" ones, but nobody noticed those either. And when people did reach the main Anomalies, they were so flustered (suddenly at a wall when trying to make forward progress and survive) that they didn't really know what to do. So, I think I'll put one in an easy spot close to the player's initial spawn. I still think the idea is solid, players just need the opportunity to learn. I told the one repeat player what to do when he reached one of them and almost destroyed it before decided to try ramming straight into the wall instead. He then collected two and became the only person to reach Tech Level 2, which unlocks the "Flux Orbs" (two powerful balls that fire diagonally) and Boost abilities for purchase as well as new levels of everything else.

I am thinking of trying out giving a small bit of Tech Level "experience points" every time an enemy is defeated. I had wanted the prospect of leveling up to be a huge driving factor in exploring the world, making progress and finding new Anomalies/bosses to defeat, so in a way this flies in the face of that a little. I just think it kind of sucks to have this progress bar that never fills until you find a very specific item. I'll see how it goes. I still think some narrative would go a long way to explaining to players what they should be doing and how the systems work, and that's very much not in the game yet.

Proximity Doors were kind of confusing to people, because nobody had the Boost ability yet. It might be fine. Maybe the "ah-ha!" moment is worth it. But I think I'll adjust how I introduce them, maybe bring back the electricity hazard again and make some needed improvements to it (like a tell before it activates, and a consistent pattern instead of a custom pattern on each instance).

What comes next?

I think the game is in a good place to make some tweaks and adjustments, and then bring back for more playtesting in October! I'll plug away at more content and the improvements mentioned above. I also had some art-minded players give me some feedback on backgrounds, which I want to try to implement to some extent (mainly to make the game as readable as possible).

I'm feeling good about the project right now. I do want to integrate narrative in the near future, and I want to have checkpoints and bosses in this game at some point too. My goal is still to have something closer to a "demo" early in 2024.

AdamM
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2023, 10:26:47 AM »

Some newer screenshots! This project is very much alive, I've just been bad about posting updates. I just drafted a lengthy update, probably the last super long one, covering a lot of my game dev history, how I ended up using Game Maker, and what I've accomplished so far.

I wanted to post some screenshots first though! Check out my itch.io page (in my signature) for larger versions.

AdamM
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2024, 05:51:42 AM »

I was going to post this update directly here but kept putting it off. I think I just don't think these long-form posts are right for TIG Source. So here is a link for anyone interested in what I plan to be my last long text-based update for a while:
https://adammcdonald.itch.io/chrono-blazer/devlog/653004/getting-started

That's from about a month ago.

As for more current updates, I have been very focused on UI and usability.

• Tutorial system added! Some tutorials added to the start of the game.
  • Button callouts now exist and have gone through some revisions as I've started implementing them. Just Xbox for now but the system is designed to support Nintendo and PlayStation style buttons as well (with the ability to choose which you prefer on PC). Keyboard/mouse will likely be a whole other beast.
  • Added new Cockpit screen, with WIP art from an artist helping out with the project! The first art in the game that isn't by me.
  • New "Enhancements" menu replaces the old store. Designing and coding this has been the bulk of my work in the past couple of months.
  • The player now starts with 3 of the each of the two items that are in the game.
  • Item stocks have button callouts.
  • The ability to lock your facing direction is now expressed in the UI with a button callout and lock/arrows icons.

Everything mentioned above can be seen in this video:

The reason for the cockpit is as a venue for narrative, so something I'd like to start on soon is figuring out dialogue in the game. I'm also itching to go back in and improve some of the level design though, so I may do some of that to give myself a break from spreadsheets full of text and UI coding.

Naeval2
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2024, 02:29:58 AM »

Hi! This game looks pretty good! Do you know Astro Aqua Kitty? It shares things with your project, can be useful for you. Also The Knightwitch.
AdamM
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2024, 12:20:37 AM »

Hi! This game looks pretty good! Do you know Astro Aqua Kitty? It shares things with your project, can be useful for you. Also The Knightwitch.
Hi! I think I had heard of Astro Aqua Kitty, but don't think I had looked into it because I definitely see similarities! I may have to give it a try.

I have tried The Knightwitch, the demo, because I thought it could be quite close to my game. But I found it was actually very different in a lot of ways. Interesting game though!

AdamM
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2024, 10:36:11 PM »

In the last month or so, I've had a few things going on with this project.

Boss Fight

I have never really made a boss fight, but I know I want this game to have them. I made an attempt to start making boss fights two times previously for this game, and both times I felt like I couldn't really get a strong foothold and quickly decided to focus on other things instead. This time, it feels like things are sticking and I'm making progress. I started with an initial idea for a stationary weak point with a variety of defences to test the player's skills and require a sampling of their toolkit. As I started blocking that into a level, trying to see how it feels to engage with a fight like that, the fight quickly evolved. I have landed for now on a pair of boss enemies that move on the sides of the screen and fire at the player in the middle, with a couple of electrical hazards to make things interesting.

Here is a video of the early WIP. Check out the sick music! My audio guy went ahead and composed a boss tune a while ago, and I think it slots in nicely here.

It may not look like much so far, but under the hood I have set up a state machine for a few different attack patterns and I know exactly where the tips of each turret are and where they're pointing. I need to create the actual projectiles for the attacks, get those states switching based on some kind of logic (likely a pattern that increases in speed/intensity as the fight goes on), and then from there do a lot of testing, validating and revising. This will be my main focus for dev work for a little bit, but hoping it doesn't drag on too long.

Art Stuff

I brought the game to Full Indie in Vancouver this past February, and got some great feedback. A couple of people well-versed in UI/UX were able to give me a lot of great feedback on the UI stuff I had been doing. One note I continue to get is on art, mainly that the background and foreground are not clearly separated. I made some attempts to remedy this, but decided to enlist some help from an artist friend who is beginning to help on the project. I have already implemented his sketch of the "cockpit screen" (see February update), but let him know that background art is a higher priority than polishing that piece. I spent a decent chunk of time this month just making sure I get him some strong reference and direction for how I want the game to look and feel, as he is basically beginning to contribute art to the project just now.

Looking back on my past year of progress, a lot of it is actually art related. Though I've learned a lot, I'm not totally happy with the look of the game and I would rather spend time on designing and coding the game.

Giving a Talk

At the monthly Full Indie event, two volunteer speakers will get up on stage and give talks. I had an idea for one floating around in my head for a while, and decided to bite the bullet and sign up. The general idea I had was talking about how I keep hobby game dev interesting and fun with a busy life. This was a bit of a roller coaster for me, as my confidence in my idea quickly took a nose dive as I sort of lost the plot and almost turned it into basically a career biography about myself, my failed indie games and my career in the game industry. I ended up narrowing my focus and landing on the ideas of working consistently and sustainably within a busy schedule, breaking down what has worked about my workflow in the past couple years and why I seem to be able to keep pushing on this project with seemingly endless motivation. Despite confidence in the topic, I really started to doubt myself about it. Do I really have any authority on this? I haven't even finished a game using this method. I've never done much public speaking... can I even hold it together and hold people's attention?

The talk seemed to go well though! I got laughs where I hoped to get laughs, got lots of great questions at the end, and had several people come up to me at the event (or message me afterwards) saying it was a great talk. There should be a video posted at some point, as they typically do post videos of the talks and I know it was recorded.

Looking Forward...

Some notes on what I have planned for the next little bit.
  • Continue to work on the boss fight and get it feeling fun to play.
  • Revising items as a concept. Currently they are expendable and need to be repurchased. I tried out increasing their count to 3 (instead of 1) and giving them to you right away (instead of forcing you to buy them), and I think that helped a lot. But you still have to buy them again when you run out. I want try out a more Estus Flask-like concept, where you get them back after you die. There's a twist I want to try though - not giving them back on checkpoint reload. You have what you had when you got to the checkpoint. I want to encourage returning to the start of the game as part of the game flow, using repeat runs to learn/try new routes, gain currency for upgrades, find new paths forward, etc. Right now, with one checkpoint in the game, people I've seen hit the checkpoint have no interest in going back to see what they missed.
  • To revise items, I need to do some fairly minor reworks of how they're purchased and change up the layout of the store UI again (though in this case, I'd be simplifying it).
  • To support the concept of revised items, I want to have a proper checkpoint select screen that really makes it clear what to expect when loading a checkpoint. Not only showing your item count, but likely some kind of representation of where the checkpoint is on the map relative to the blast.
  • Before making a map, I want to remedy some level design issues I am painfully aware of. The level design also factors in pretty heavily in how the game progresses in general, naturally, so there are some considerations around when the player can gain access to certain upgrades, and I'd like them to be naturally funneled to the first checkpoint after gaining an item that lets them progress in a new way. To be sure that the concept of "new routes will open up based on your abilities" is very clearly taught.
  • Story/dialogue stuff would be great to get stood up at some point!
  • All of this ends up being kind of important for the boss fight too, because it's meant to be a culmination of everything you've done and learned so far. So I think I can do it first still, I know what my intent is and there can be a benefit to working backwards, but it's starting to feel like I'll wait a few months before bringing my game out of the shadows for playtesting. That being said, if I can find a reason to get people to play it I'll probably do it.

I think I said something in February about quick updates each month. This one feels kinda long. Oh well.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2024, 10:46:02 PM by AdamM » Logged

nathy after dark
Level 8

Open Sourceress

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2024, 11:14:42 AM »

Huge congrats on giving that talk!!  Hand Fork Left Hand Knife Right

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic