Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411528 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 01:38:49 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs5 Star Fishy - A Dark Humor Filled Aquatic Metroidvania
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: 5 Star Fishy - A Dark Humor Filled Aquatic Metroidvania  (Read 2526 times)
SoupOrWorm
Level 0

View Profile
« on: July 24, 2023, 03:01:29 PM »

Most Recent Update:

Hello again Fishies! Today I did a bunch of bug fixes, polishing work, and smaller tweaks, but I also added emotions to the Kasey conversation,

made it so you can destroy jellyfishs with the right techniques, and varied the biting sprites.

Ight cya.

Hey welcome to the first TIG devlog for 5 Star Fishy! If you haven't heard of 5SF, let me get you up to speed.

5 Star Fishy is my dark humor filled aquatic metroidvania project that I've been working on for just over a year now, but I've still got a ways to go. Here is my YT channel documenting the development so far if you're intrested: https://www.youtube.com/@superwormthedev/videos

Since the last devlog I've released a demo for the game on Steam (hit "Download Demo" on this page to play it if you're intrested https://store.steampowered.com/app/2371040/5_Star_Fishy/). Oh also slap wishlist of course!

So that is what I've done up to the demo release, but I'm now onto making the full game!

Today I protyped the startup cutscene. I wanted a more quiet opening that is juxtaposed to the loud, chotic main menu, so I made a slightly over the top poem to show throughout the cutscene. Here it is:

Tears don't show in the W.A.T.E.R.S.
The U.G.N. kicked him down
Not even safe from the otters,
Fishy was left out to drown.
He wanted them to disappear
With that declaration of his,
"If I am not safe here...
... then nobody is."
 Cry Hand Clap

I know truely devastating.

Anyways, I also begun work on the second area of the game: The Testing Labs! I just took my time setting everything up and preparing to block out the map so I don't shoot future me in the foot again.

That's all I got for now. I'll leave updates here in a day or 2 but until then (enter obligatory Finding Nemo reference here)!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2024, 06:43:51 PM by SoupOrWorm » Logged
bleeks
Level 0

GunnSwitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2023, 04:26:02 PM »

Hey. So are you using Construct 3 as well?
Interesting concept. I would say maybe make the pink fish player sprite a little bigger. Is the game controlled using a mouse pointer or an 8 way movement behavior? Like the dive in and out of the water like Eco the dolphin.
The music from the trailer is really good too.

Cheers

Kelsey Cidade
Cidade Art Productions
http://www.cidadeap.com
SoupOrWorm
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2023, 11:58:37 AM »

Hey. So are you using Construct 3 as well?
Interesting concept. I would say maybe make the pink fish player sprite a little bigger. Is the game controlled using a mouse pointer or an 8 way movement behavior? Like the dive in and out of the water like Eco the dolphin.
The music from the trailer is really good too.

Cheers

Thanks for the feedback, and I am using Construct 3 to make 5SF. As for Fishy's size, I'm trying to balance readability while also making him really small because I personally find a tiny pink fishy unleashing mayhem to be a really funny sight. Maybe I can add a glow to him or smth to make it a bit easier to see.

The game is controlled primarily with a mouse, or controller. Glad you like the music!
SoupOrWorm
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2023, 02:10:43 PM »

Hello again. Today I got kraken on this game right away (not sorry for pun). I blocked out about half of the testing labs. Here's a screenshot:

Ight cya.
SoupOrWorm
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2023, 06:28:02 PM »

Wow that was fast. I sure just made a splash in the game's development by finishing the Testing Labs prototype in just 2 days! Here is a screenshot:

Okay cya.
SoupOrWorm
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2023, 01:58:01 PM »

Hey Fishys (Fishies?) today I just fleshed out the map a bit more and did some performance optimisations. Here is the current Testing Labs:

Ight cya.
SoupOrWorm
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2023, 05:00:27 PM »

Today I didn't really do anything in Construct 3, but I instead did something far more valuble. I created the official 5 Star Fishy Developer Sketchbook!

Here it is in all of it's glory:

And here is an example of a page (blurred a zone that I'll announce later):

Ight cya.
SoupOrWorm
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2023, 02:57:34 PM »

Hello again! Sorry for the lack of updates, as I've been doing a lot of game jams lately which took up some Fishy dev time. Anyhow, today I improved the transition between the labs and the shallows, patched some bugs, and finished doing some basic planning for all of the zones in my sketchbook. No images of the former because it isn't very exciting, and none of the latter because spoilers... but I am working on it I swear.

Ight cya.
SoupOrWorm
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2023, 03:25:16 PM »

Hello hi hey let me show you what I did today (not sorry). Today I changed to a consistant font for the menus and started working on an extras menu (bottom half blurred because it is unfinished, and I want to reveal it later).

Ight cya.
SoupOrWorm
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2023, 01:55:33 PM »

Hey... it's been a hot second. Don't worry, I didn't quit. I was on a vacation for a while, then I got sick, then I made a YT devlog (

), and then I just procrastinated BUT I'M BACK.

Anyway I got what I think is a great idea while on vacation; the blood bar. The blood bar is a bar that fils as you damage enemies and gives you blood notches, which can be spent to heal or use an ability. This also allows me to make meat only used a a currency, and it replaces the dumb and hard to read radioactivity gauge in the demo.

Here is what the old HUD looked like:

And here is a visual draft of the new one (not yet implemented):

Ight Cya
SoupOrWorm
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2023, 01:46:11 PM »

Hi again. You know, the previously mentioned bloodbar is a pretty complicated UI task so I better plan this out carefully and think about-JUST KIDDING I did the whole dang thing today! Here is a gif of it in action (still needs some polish):

In case you missed the last devlog, the blood bar is basically my game's equivelent of the soul meter from hollow knight. Boy am I glad it's done (aside from the previously mentioned polishing) because I hate UI tasks and I really just want to work on the Testing Labs.

Ight cya.
SoupOrWorm
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2023, 02:48:21 PM »

Helllllllo again. *sigh*... I need to make art for the TL now. I procrastinated a bit by doing some polishing, but I eventually had to work on the art, so I started with the vents. It took a hot second, but I came up with a design for them.

After that, I took a break by exercising and sketching concept art outside.

Ight cya.
SoupOrWorm
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2023, 12:06:37 PM »

Hey again. School has started up again for me so progress is slowing down, but I'm still pushing foward. Today I just made some art for the TL, but also made the first TL enemy, the Bristle Worm Puddle (if you don't know what bristle worms are than I would not suggest looking it up).

Ight cya.
SoupOrWorm
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2023, 01:12:24 PM »

Hey, today I just worked on implementing the lore for the testing labs. Here's an example:

Ight cya.
SoupOrWorm
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2023, 06:56:49 PM »

Hello again, I'm still alive!

Been rly busy with school and motivation issues, but we dont give up in this household no-no.

Today I gave the clam (Gilbert) an attack for if you attack him. He summons these bubble things that float up before launching themselves at you.

Ight cya.
SoupOrWorm
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2024, 09:59:03 PM »

What's good?

Today I spent a while doing something I've been dreading, but knew I must do at some point: the tilemap for the Testing Labs. It is about 75% finished, and I'm fairly happy with it, but I am oviously biased so I'll let you judge for yourself (note that on top of the missing tiles there are also missing sprites, backgrounds, enemies and more details so this is not done).

Old Version:

New Version:

Ight cya.
SoupOrWorm
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2024, 08:14:34 PM »

Helllllllllllllo! I am keeping up my productivity streak today! I made the art for the labs:

And a new enemy: the spit slug:

Ight cya.
SoupOrWorm
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2024, 05:22:24 PM »

Soup fishies. I'm running out of start-of-post-jokes.

What I am not running out of though is motivation (for once). Today I darkened the reserves a bit and added in another new enemy: the Industrial Popworm.

Oh also I added this, uh, thing:

Ight cya
SoupOrWorm
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2024, 08:02:28 PM »

Hi. Today I added decent background to the Tropical Shallows:

...and started remaking the tutorial (with some sick breakbeat music of course):

So today was super productive!  Beer!

Ight cya.
SoupOrWorm
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2024, 05:04:39 PM »

Hi.

Today I (mostly) finished the new tutorial. I think it turned out really well!

I also added the greatest achievement known to man:

Ight cya.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic