Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 27, 2024, 01:55:32 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingDynasty - A Narrative Social Deduction Roguelike. "Singleplayer Secret Hitler"
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Dynasty - A Narrative Social Deduction Roguelike. "Singleplayer Secret Hitler"  (Read 1954 times)
Vino
Level 3

View Profile
« on: July 28, 2023, 09:22:42 PM »

Dynasty
A Narrative Social Deduction Roguelike

Dynasty is a narrative social deduction roguelike in which you must rule your kingdom through your advisors, who you are unsure whether you can trust. Your advisors hold the keys to power. You must please them enough to keep them loyal and grant them the power to administrate your kingdom. But beware-- the more power you grant them, the more they may use that power against you.

There is no installation. Click here to play now in your browser.

Gameplay

You must survive 40 turns without being assassinated. If you have not been assassinated by your advisors by turn 40, you win.

There are six primary advisors:

• Seneschal Belmin: The majordomo of your palace. Through him you can curry the loyalty of your other advisors. He can help you expand your palace and staff, and with enough power can learn the true loyalty of your other advisors.
  • Captain Niri: The Captain of your Crownguard. She will help you discover and foil assassination plots. If you suspect another advisor of plotting against you, you can have her arrest them, to be replaced by another hopefully more loyal second.
  • Treasurer Chaddik: Of the Royal Treasury. He safeguards your income and manages your coffers and expenses. Through him you can purchase the loyalty of other advisors.
  • Minister Elenda: Of the Ministry of the Commons. She represents the will of your subjects. Without her resourceful solutions to the problems your kingdom faces, there would surely be unrest and revolts.
  • Ordinal Alesanvi: The highest religious officiant. The piety of other advisors only offers her more power, though she tells you that her power comes only from the heavens.
  • General Higan: The commander of the Royal Army. Through his military might you can command fear and obedience. Beware that you do not turn your kingdom into a military dictatorship.

There are three additional characters:

• Consort (Placeholder Name): Your Royal Consort. You will meet your Royal Consort on turn 12 and marry them some time later.
  • Concubine (Placeholder Name): Your Royal Concubine. You will meet your Royal Concubine on turn 20.
  • The Heir Apparent, (Placeholder Name): Your Son or Daughter. They are born around turn 24 and become politically active on turn 28.

I have completed a first pass of gameplay for the Seneschal. Most of his programs (programs are the primary way by which you assign power and gain new abilities) have been implemented. Many of his abilities rely on the abilities of other characters, which have not been developed yet, so he can't be fully completed for the time being, but the game is now playable from front to back if you are willing to focus on the Seneschal's abilities only.

I love feedback and I generally always try to address it if I can so please share your thoughts here in this thread, whether you like or dislike it. I'm also happy to answer questions about the direction the game is headed.

The devlog thread is here: https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=74772

Thanks for playing!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2023, 08:47:40 AM by Vino » Logged
flowerthief
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2023, 09:00:25 AM »

Pretty interesting. The narrative is intriguing but I don't think I grasped the game system. Am I reading it correctly when the minutes say "New Mandate: Treasurer -10 Power"? Does that mean the advisor's power is diminishing because of a mandate I enacted?

What might be useful is a simple diagram showing the game flow.
Vino
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2023, 04:58:53 AM »

Hello, thanks for playing!

Yes it does mean that. The Treasurer (and all other advisors) lost 10 power because of New Mandate. It's a good note, I've been making a lot of changes to try to better present/explain how Power works.

What sort of diagram did you have in mind? Might give me a better idea of what you're struggling with.

Edit: Would this description have helped? I added it to the game recently and I've been marking the difference between Base Power and Bonus Power everywhere that Power is referenced.

• Base Power vs Bonus Power. Base Power is your advisor's power rating before any Bonus Power is applied. An advisor's final Power rating is Base Power + Bonus Power. Base Power is not transferred to replacements, but Bonus Power is.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2023, 06:03:12 AM by Vino » Logged
Vino
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2023, 08:31:11 PM »

Hey, everyone. I have just published a version of the game that I am hoping to get feedback on. In fact, I've sorta published two versions, since I introduced a feature called "Game Mode" that skips all of the story. This makes it much easier to play the actual game.

I've put a lot of effort into the game itself being fun to play, and there are currently two advisors with programs that are worth playing, Seneschal Belmin and Captain Niri. Getting feedback on those would be great. Just play through the game on Game Mode and focus acquiring the programs of one or another of those advisors.

Also, I've written the story up through Chapter 4. Getting feedback on the story would also be amazing.

You can play it here. Thanks
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic