Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 27, 2024, 03:43:34 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Any tips on testing/debugging roguelites?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Any tips on testing/debugging roguelites?  (Read 3785 times)
BlooBaba
TIGBaby

Manga Enthusiast Lvl -> 999

View Profile
« on: August 02, 2023, 06:20:11 AM »

Hey, working on a roguelite with the usual moving pieces. I'm running into a problem where I'm fixing bugs, but given the nature of a roguelite, I have to find a specific upgrade to meet the test conditions.

My initial thoughts would be to just use a dev console to force these conditions, but maybe there are other options to consider that I haven't thought of. Would be dope to hear any other insight.
Menwyr
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2023, 02:56:17 AM »

It's useful to have a separate 'test level' environment. They physics are the same but you can simply place interactive objects wherever you like. Then once the system works on a small scale you should be able to simply copy it over into the final system. Some MMORPGs use developer mechanics like teleportation and other cheats to test out specific story elements and locations in the final build. It may sound like more work, but in the end you will save yourself much time.
yokcos700
Level 0

Fishticuffs | @yokcos700

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2023, 07:57:18 AM »

I'm perhaps not one to talk because I almost never do it, but yeah a dev console is a great idea in roguelikes. especially in roguelikes because of the random chance. fool that I was, when I was making mine I would just change the code to give me the required item whenever I needed something.
I can get on board with menwyr's idea of a specific testing environment too

Fishticuffs guy and also Omnigon guy
MrErdalUral
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2023, 04:28:21 AM »

All of the above + use deterministic seeds so if one of your testers finds an unexpected bug or unbeatable zone you can check it out yourself using the same seed.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic