Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411493 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 29, 2024, 10:22:33 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralThe battle of Baldur's Gate 3
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: The battle of Baldur's Gate 3  (Read 4354 times)
michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: August 17, 2023, 11:21:23 PM »

Here is one side of the battle:

https://www.ign.com/videos/baldurs-gate-3-is-causing-some-developers-to-panic

Essentially "why shouldn't we have nice games we all enjoy?"

Here is the other side:

https://www.gamedeveloper.com/blogs/yelling-is-not-journalism

Essentially "by telling off devs when the make something you don't like, you are harassing them."

This debate has to do with an incendiary tweet saying that Baldur's gate 3 is not representative of what players should expect from RPGs. The IGN guy, Destin Legarie, says, why shouldn't gamers want good games? Another hot take. Brandon Sheffield, (is he working on anything?) then chimes in with an article titled "Yelling is not journalism." The hot takes won't stop coming. Though I can't find a way in which Destin was yelling. He seemed pretty calm and calculated in his video.

But just to be clear, I don't think any of this whole thing, including this post, is "journalism." Furthermore, is the guy who made the tweet that started this battle gonna be upset for getting tons of views and visibility? Usually people posting on twitter kind of want their posts to get seen and discussed.

In conclusion:

"Oceania has always been at war with Eastasia. Since the beginning of your life, since the beginning of the Party, since the beginning of history, the war has continued without a break, always the same war."

michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2023, 12:42:42 AM »

I love how big a deal not harassing devs was as part of this controversy, but then the very same people started saying literally "fuck you" to unity.

I just want to know who it is ok to harass!

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2023, 12:02:54 PM »

Don't harass workers but do harass board of directors, that's the rule

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2023, 02:08:23 AM »

Anyway is it actually unclear to you how the unity situation isn't equivalent or comparable to anything that could possibly be the situation with a new video game or are you trolling

michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2023, 08:07:36 AM »

I get that unity's fee structure is unfair and bad, but in the grand scheme of unfair things in this business, its not even close to top of the list.

Also, I'm not trolling in that it would be nice if the game industry wasn't seething with rage just under the surface. We want to yell and kick and scream like kids whenever we are allowed to because it feels nice to throw a tantrum, and as a result the game industry is like a high school. Cliques of devs who behave like they want to go to prom with a cool kid. I don't like that.

michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2023, 08:21:51 AM »

If you want money for minds that hate, All I can tell ya brother is ya have to wait.

This is video games, not game of thrones.

If we are all angry would be dictators who want to rule the world and play power games irl full of rage the industry will stink, and also that will explain why women have such a hard time here because they usually won't put up with that shit.

Keep the power games in the fantasy world, not irl.

michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2023, 08:33:54 AM »

Its hard enough to make a game, now you guys are saying that in order to be in the community of devs you have to throw away the easiest tool to use in the business because they are making moves that slightly impact super rich and powerful devs?

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2023, 10:30:36 AM »

the unity move as first announced was gonna torpedo the sustainability of a wide bracket of studios most of which aren't making anyone super rich or powerful but whatever
« Last Edit: October 03, 2023, 02:44:43 PM by Schoq » Logged

michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2023, 01:16:30 PM »

I understand that it wasn't just super rich and powerful devs who got torpedoed, but if your attitude is that global twXtter rage is a tool to get what you want, then you should expect game fans to use it, and political parties to use it, and everyone to use it because apparently the flaming of big targets is effective and powerful. Apparently when someone like trump becomes powerful you just gotta sit around writing hateful tweets to stop him.

Love apparently doesn't trump hate.

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2023, 02:57:54 PM »

if you're back to talking about whatever is happening with baldur's gate I can't comment because I don't know what that is.
I don't think outrage culture is good or even actually effective, but it's probably inevitable when it's such an easy way to vent frustrations (probably general and mostly unrelated to the outrage target), especially when there's like three whole generations online that grew up depressed and angry.

rukikimi700
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2023, 12:16:34 PM »

Dude, developers, no matter how hard they try, often face dissatisfaction and discouragement. I appreciate the case of Digital Animals, who make an effort to regularly publish their development diaries and be honest with the community about failures. However, I'm sure that someday there will be someone who will nitpick at them
michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2023, 12:46:49 AM »

if you're back to talking about whatever is happening with baldur's gate I can't comment because I don't know what that is.
I don't think outrage culture is good or even actually effective, but it's probably inevitable when it's such an easy way to vent frustrations (probably general and mostly unrelated to the outrage target), especially when there's like three whole generations online that grew up depressed and angry.

You don't know what baulder's gate is or you didn't read my post?

michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2023, 12:48:00 AM »

Dude, developers, no matter how hard they try, often face dissatisfaction and discouragement. I appreciate the case of Digital Animals, who make an effort to regularly publish their development diaries and be honest with the community about failures. However, I'm sure that someday there will be someone who will nitpick at them

ok, I don't understand the connection here.

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2023, 03:08:00 PM »

You don't know what baulder's gate is or you didn't read my post?
I read it but it makes no sense without a bunch of context I'm absolutely not interested in reading up on, so if that's important to the conversation I won't meaningfully contribute. You made the comparison of mad about game not meeting expectations to mad about changes to the payment structure of monopoly status creative tool so I commented on that. Then you went on to outrage culture in general so I commented on that.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic