Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411511 Posts in 69375 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 01:00:15 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsLet's Play IVAN!
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Let's Play IVAN!  (Read 40938 times)
Skyleak
Level 0

View Profile
« on: November 21, 2007, 04:53:04 AM »

Hey everybody I thought we could all have a friendly competition in a High Score Derby,

The game:
IVAN - Iter Vehemens ad Necem or a Violent Road to Death.
http://ivan.sourceforge.net/index.html

This game is a very well done graphical roguelike.  Except unlike others there's no special races or classes, or even skills.  You start off as a human banana farmer sent on a quest to take a letter to the High Priest.  That's where the trouble starts, from this point on you will find nothing but bloody, terrifying, hard, suicidal, unforgiving roads of pain, hunger, and possible limb loss... Humor then ensues.

Thread Rules:
I figure to help keep the thread somewhat tidy and easy to see how good everybody is doing make one post and use it as your Head Quarters.  By that I mean keep all your notes, comments, and screen shots of your score board on it; modifying your original post every time you wish to update.
Feel free to post or comment, but keep all updates on 1 post.

Requirements:
An account to post with
A webspace to upload screen shots with
A PC (sorry macs)
The game http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/ivan/IvanWin050.zip
new rule Please install a fresh(or another) copy of the game, old high scores don't count.
I think that's it...

Rules for the competition:
This starts NOW but ends on the 28th, Wednesday.
NO SAVE SCUMMING - Save scumming is backing up your current game and then reloading it when you die. (when you die your character and saves are erased.  So be careful  Wink )
Each time you start a new hero change his name (done so in the configuration menu)  Duplicate hero names will not count as they could possibly be "scummed" games.
Please don't hack saved games, I want this to be fun and fair.
Your latest edit is your latest entry (easy way to see how people are progressing) .

Prize:
If I can get a decent amount of people playing I'll buy the winner a copy of an indie game they want.  EG:more than 10 people.

Hints:
If you haven't played the game before I'll give you a few hints to help out, anybody else may feel free to post hints but just remember your strategy is now fair game.

Hint 1 - Put potions in cans to stop them from breaking!
Hint 2 - Playing while burdened wears you out quickly but it builds stats faster as well(depending what your doing).
Hint 3 - Be kind to your gods!!!! I had both my arms cut off in battle and was near death.  I prayed and my god gave me new arms made out of adamant and I was about 5x as strong as I was originally.

Have fun and send me any questions or comments!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The area below this is an example of a way to update your post.  Feel free to include more screen shots or funny happenings. Just make sure to have your updated scoreboard posted at all times.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GAWDED DAMNED IT!
No ultra high score this time.  My game at work got up to about 30k

I can read this fine, if you can't- or if I can't read yours please adjust it.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 12:34:34 AM by Skyleak » Logged
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2007, 05:34:12 AM »

I'm in.

Pacian
Text Heavy
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2007, 10:29:36 AM »

My top score is 49.  I'll join in if you want someone to make the rest of the competitors look good.

Update:
This time I found a big axe.

Update 2:
I feel sorry for Dr Allcome.  He must have lost about ten different limbs before being crotch-bit to death.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2007, 06:27:43 AM by Pacian » Logged

(\ /)
(O.o) - Achtung, baby!
(> <)
Stij
Level 3

the world's tallest dwarf

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2007, 02:29:39 PM »

Aw hellz yeah. I love this game.

So, how exactly does this work? Do we just start a new game and then try to score as much as possible? If so, I think I'll need to clear my scoreboard.
Stij
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2007, 04:58:14 PM »

Woo, almost 5000! Unfortunately, the stupid Enner Beast killed me. :/ I should've gone back and got the right equipment before facing him...You need a Scroll of Dectect Material to find out where he is first, that makes things a LOT easier. I think I should try putting my potions in boxes or pouring them in cans next time, too, because he can shatter glass.

I had some awesome stuff too, like an Ommel Bone longsword.

EDIT: Updated. Bah, my hero Derek Yu had some great equipment (and a genie!) but I died because of a stupid self-inflicted lightning bolt. That happens waaay too often.

EDIT 2: Still no luck...

EDIT 3: I HATE YOU, ENNER BEAST.

EDIT 4: Yay, high score!
« Last Edit: November 28, 2007, 03:15:16 PM by Stij » Logged
Skyleak
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2007, 09:45:45 PM »

Pretty nice Stij just watch those name duplicates.  More than one high scoring name(s) are not a valid entry.

Oh and next time you post a score modify your last post with your new sheet.  This is too keep the thread from being cluttered with 24132524362565 different high scores.

I think I'm going to add a prize because nobody wants to play  Lips Sealed
Blaster
Pixelhead
Level 1

*wiggle*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2007, 01:25:42 AM »

I think I comfortably take the lead. Wink

I too got killed by an Enner Beast, which is a real pain, because I really think I could've taken it down easy if it weren't for the fact that I got teleported away from my two bitchin' angels. I also had the most awesome equipment after taking out the shop keeper in the gloomy cave. :D
« Last Edit: November 22, 2007, 04:59:48 AM by Pita » Logged

Pixel Art: Portfolio || Twitter: @pita_akm || Tumblr: silver deluxe
Skyleak
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2007, 04:58:04 AM »

You have taken the lead.  The enner beast can be tough but he's not as hard as some of the later bosses who'll kill you up in two hits.
Stij
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2007, 09:23:43 AM »

Pretty nice Stij just watch those name duplicates.  More than one high scoring name(s) are not a valid entry.

Oh and next time you post a score modify your last post with your new sheet.  This is too keep the thread from being cluttered with 24132524362565 different high scores.

I think I'm going to add a prize because nobody wants to play  Lips Sealed
Whoops, sorry. Forgot to change the name.

I got to the Enner Beast a second time, but he was right next to me and completely destroyed me with a few screams. Next time I should bring a light source other then a lantern, I guess. :/

Does anybody know if he can be polymorphed? That would make things a lot easier...

Also, there's a room in Gloomy Cave level...something with a wall of meteoric steel guarding something. Anybody know what's behind it? Pickaxes can't cut it, but maybe a blast from a wand...

EDIT: Fireballs do nothing to it, neither does lightning or a wand of striking. Aside from getting a really strong pickax or using TeleControl to teleport there, I dunno how you couild get there.

Also, praying to Silva (the nature goddess) is very handy in the minefield level, because she'll call down an earthquake that will detonate most of the mines. :D

« Last Edit: November 22, 2007, 04:22:21 PM by Stij » Logged
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2007, 06:38:39 PM »

Hell Yeahs! Never played this but it sounds awesome! I am definitely down with this Smiley

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
Skyleak
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2007, 07:34:12 AM »

Hey Stij it's much better to make a wish than have a pet genie.
PoV
Level 5

Click on the eye and something might happen..maybe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2007, 11:46:40 AM »

This game is quite fun.  I didn't noticed the "no same names" rule (I set a default name), so I'll sadly have to restart.  My highest was only about 165.

Edit: Better, but my crashing character is higher.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 08:38:53 PM by PoV » Logged

Mike Kasprzak | Sykhronics Entertainment - Smiles (HD), PuffBOMB, towlr, Ludum Dare - Blog
Stij
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2007, 08:57:51 PM »

Hey Stij it's much better to make a wish than have a pet genie.
I never know what to wish for, though...any tips?

Also, I'm gonna find out what's behind that meteoric steel wall if it kills me. D:
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2007, 04:18:08 AM »

Uh, can we have more time? I haven't managed to start yet.

edit... wait, sunday 24th... of December?

Skyleak
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2007, 03:33:58 PM »

I've extended it till Wednesday for late people since nobody wants to play, even with a decent prize. 
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2007, 02:18:58 AM »

I've extended it till Wednesday

Awesome Smiley

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
Stij
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2007, 06:10:02 PM »

Sweet, I'll play a few more games today. I think Pita has us all pwnt, though.
Blaster
Pixelhead
Level 1

*wiggle*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2007, 06:26:28 PM »

I can't get remotely close to my own top score :D

My second best effort is now just over 2000.

Pixel Art: Portfolio || Twitter: @pita_akm || Tumblr: silver deluxe
PoV
Level 5

Click on the eye and something might happen..maybe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2007, 08:34:38 PM »

I think I'm in the 2k neighborhood, but I seem to have discovered a consistently reproducible crash.  Yarg.  Ah well.  Still, I've had fun with the game.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 08:37:41 PM by PoV » Logged

Mike Kasprzak | Sykhronics Entertainment - Smiles (HD), PuffBOMB, towlr, Ludum Dare - Blog
Skyleak
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2007, 11:08:37 PM »

I can't get remotely close to my own top score :D

My second best effort is now just over 2000.

You must have killed an Elite character, they offer huge bonuses.
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic