Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 27, 2024, 02:12:59 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingNeed expert opinion on Block Puzzle
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Need expert opinion on Block Puzzle  (Read 1924 times)
PuzzleMan
TIGBaby

View Profile
« on: September 04, 2023, 06:18:19 AM »

Hi everyone. Did you know that the main audience of Block Puzzle is adult women? I won't say for all block puzzles, but in ours for sure. They are a great audience, but unfortunately it is very hard to get feedback from them.

We are currently experiencing difficulties with the retention of the first day. It's gone up a bit since adding the mech with COMBO, but it's still quite low at around 15%. Crash rate for the last month is in the neighborhood of 2%, ANR 0.63%. From a technical point of view there shouldn't be any problems. Most likely it's about gameplay.

What do you think could be improved? Maybe some mechanics seem unintuitive, some are missing or on the contrary, some are superfluous? Perhaps you face some difficulties during the game? If you can let your grandmother or anyone else play the game and get feedback from her, that would be amazing).

Game link https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.viter.puzzle.game.classic.blockpuzzle.blockpuzzlegame.sudoku.blocks.block.tetra.cube.juggle.premium.nopuzzle.relax

If you don't have a chance to familiarize yourself on Android, attached a video of the first 5 minutes of gameplay.

michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2023, 12:56:54 PM »

So I've watched your video. Its a competent, well made, puzzle game but I've seen a lot of puzzle games like this with spammy incessant advertising. So you are fighting against a lot of well advertised games that have a lot of people looking at them.

If you want to increase retention, you need to add some kind of meta-game. I know they require a lot of dev cost, but something where every level you beat earns cash so you can fix up a house, or unlock a narrative, or just generally progress something that gives your game context. Achievements are a good start but they aren't enough to get people coming back. Even just a story:

A: Oh I'm going to be mayor of blockland.
B: You'll never beat me, you need to unlock 1000 blocks to be mayor.
A: I'll show you!

Then after unlocking the blocks

A: Now I can be mayor.
C: Yes, I'm your advisor, we need more blocks to solve the crippling block shortage that is killing the block people.
A: Ah I'll unlock more blocks!

Etc.

Something to pull the user along.

Also, games are super competitive and everyone is making them. Also also, the algorithms are usually not super friendly to people who don't have a sizable fan base already warmed up to get their stuff.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic