Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411525 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 04:28:04 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe Song of Awakening
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: The Song of Awakening  (Read 2508 times)
Noeski
Level 0

View Profile
« on: September 04, 2023, 10:48:39 AM »

The Song of Awakening

Concept
The Song of Awakening is a 2D action RPG metroidvania set in a world where music creates magic and instruments become powerful weapons.

Gameplay
Combat
The player is equipped with an instrument that doubles as a melee weapon. There are a variety of instruments that can be found, each with its own attack style, range, and damage. Players will need to experiment to find the right instrument that suits their combat style.

The player is also initially gifted with the ability to dash, providing a brief window of invincibility, and the ability to parry, deflecting certain attacks that leave enemies vulnerable to counterattacks.

Songs
Songs can be found throughout the world and once learned they give the player the ability to recite them to produce a variety of magical effects.

Platforming & Exploration
Initially the player can run, jump, and climb to explore the world and new movement abilities are discovered as the game progresses.

RPG Elements
There are a variety of items and equipment that alter the player's stats or abilities. These can be mixed and matched to create different builds for different playstyles or to overcome specific challenges.

World
In the world of The Song of Awakening there exists two primary Gods - Lyra is the goddess of music, and her powers extend to the very fabric of existence, shaping the world around her through her melodies. Those who are gifted with her power are called Lyramancers and are able to use music to create powerful magic. Haedra is the god of silence, and his powers extend to the very absence of sound, shaping the world around him through the void he creates.

The kingdom was once ruled by Lyramancers who use their music-magic to create an abundance of joy and prosperity. The king, who was the most powerful Lyramancer of all, and his family had served the realm for generations. But then the king's wife had fallen ill, and he had been desperate to save her. Haedra, the god of silence, had whispered in his ear, promising that if he silenced the Lyramancers he could save his wife. The king had done as he was told, and the world had fallen into darkness. The cycle of life and death had been broken, and everything had become stagnant and corrupted. The king had been controlled by Haedra ever since, unable to break free from his guilt and his shame.

1000 years later a mysterious hero emerges, granted with the ancestral gift of Lyramancy, they must use their newfound talents to take down a malevolent force of a silent god and bring back harmony.

History
I originally started this project in 2016. I didn't really have an idea for a game, I just wanted a fun side project to work on and I knew I wanted to make a platforming engine in Unity. Between 2016-2020 most of my time on the project was focused on the fun, technical problems like collision, physics, level editing tools, etc. In 2020 is when I started to develop some more ideas for what a game could be that used everything I've built so far and decided I wanted to make a 2D action RPG platformer. This is also around the time I started coming up with the core concept for what the world of the game would be. I was thinking about the Bard archetype and how it's so often represented as a supporting character or something comical like the jester. I wanted to create a world where that character would be the hero and central to the story. Between 2020-2023 I worked more on the design and ideas for the game as well as updating the engine to support everything it would need. Beginning in 2023, I created a feature list for what I would want to show in a demo and started refining the overall design to support this. Around this time is when I started working with artists and animators to bring the concept to life.

Devlog
This devlog will be mostly focused on the technical and design side of things and will be updated to show off anything interesting or general progress as the game continues development.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2023, 01:12:49 PM by Noeski » Logged

Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2023, 08:06:27 AM »

Hey Noeski! Song of Awakening looks cool so far. Great animations and I love the art style. Keep us posted!

hannahontrek
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2023, 02:59:16 PM »

Looking good so far!
Noeski
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2023, 03:43:31 PM »

Ghosting
I've been wanting to add a `ghost trail` effect to the game engine for a while now and this week I was able to spend some time implementing it.

A `ghost trail` is an effect where we periodically take a snapshot of a character and then tint/fade them out which creates a really nice effect combined with movement.

For sprites this is pretty simple and can be achieved by maintaining a pool of `SpriteRenderer` objects and spawning a new one with the current frame of the character when needed. In The Song of Awakening we use Spine (https://esotericsoftware.com) to render our characters which makes this effect much more difficult. Rather than a single quad that fades nicely, Spine creates a 3D mesh that may have several areas that overlap which makes transparency very difficult.

In order to fix this we need to create an intermediate render target that we can render the mesh to and then use that render target as our 'sprite'. Spine actually has some examples (https://github.com/EsotericSoftware/spine-runtimes/tree/4.1/spine-unity/Assets/Spine%20Examples/Scripts/Sample%20Components/SkeletonRenderTexture) of how to do this, but I created a modified version of their `SkeletonRenderTexture` that can target any `MeshRenderer` and only render a single frame on demand. This intermediate step is much slower than the simple sprite route, but the effect looks quite nice!

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2023, 01:00:22 AM »

This has some impressive art, I will say! And I do like what you've described of the setting and plot! ^_^

If I may, let me ask two things regarding the gameplay:

First, is this planned to be a Soulslike at all? (e.g. A resource dropped on death and lost on subsequent death, grinding of stats through multiple enemy-resets, etc.)

And second, how challenging do you intend the platforming to be?

Noeski
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2023, 07:45:15 AM »

It has some Soulslike elements (bonfires, enemies respawn on rest/death) but I haven't designed what the consequences of death are yet. There are stats, but everything comes from equipment and upgrades so there is no leveling/grinding in that sense.

The platforming is fairly easy for the most part but there will be some specific challenge areas that focus only on platforming.

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2023, 12:49:07 AM »

Okay, that's fairly reassuring to me, at least! I will keep an eye on this, then, I think!

Thank you for the answer! ^_^

mobilelast
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2023, 02:16:00 PM »

Great character and animation. Looks like a hippie late from his gig. He definitely needs bell-bottom trousers with detailed cloth simulation. And perhaps some crazy psychedelic backgrounds and progressive soundtrack.

https://youtu.be/cO3r40Fq9vU?t=142

Avaruustaistelupeli (ATP) - a space combat game
- Free download from itch.io or IndieDB
- Dev diary here
BestFriendStudio
Level 0

One man studio with ton of pixels

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2023, 02:44:43 AM »

I really like how a bard is main focus of the game, and that modified lute is just perfect. Smiley Art style is quite memorable.

Do you have some overall plans regarding enemies, will they be a human soldiers and such, or they are all creatures and demons?

I think that adding short lute playing frames between attacks during the combo would contribute a lot visually, and really make everything stand out even more. Smiley

Noeski
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2023, 04:25:17 PM »

Songs
Songs contain powerful magic in the world of Awakening and some of these songs can be used in combat. To play a song, first the player's energy bar must be filled either through attacking or successful parries.

Once filled, the player can briefly stop time around them and play their instrument.

Playing each note successfully will increase the power of the song and unleash its magic.

Various songs can be found while exploring and can be equipped or swapped out for the right situation.

Noeski
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2023, 04:29:49 PM »

I really like how a bard is main focus of the game, and that modified lute is just perfect. Smiley Art style is quite memorable.

Do you have some overall plans regarding enemies, will they be a human soldiers and such, or they are all creatures and demons?

I think that adding short lute playing frames between attacks during the combo would contribute a lot visually, and really make everything stand out even more. Smiley

Thank you!

Enemies will be a mix of humans/monsters - in the current state of the world everything has grown increasingly corrupted and malformed over the past 1000 years so 'normal' looking humans will still have various levels of corruption showing.

artemdemo
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2023, 12:11:49 AM »

Looks very cool. Keep it up!  Smiley
Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2023, 01:21:42 AM »

Oof, I will confess that the rhythm minigame scares me a bit--I'm bad at those, I fear! ^^;

But it is a cool mechanic and fitting to the character and setting, I do feel! ^_^

But yes, good work thus far, I do think! ^_^

Flenn
Level 0

Composer musician

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2023, 10:11:02 AM »

Hello, I like your game The Song of Awakening, it has an interesting theme and great graphics, I would like to participate in the soundtrack of the game, I leave you my previous works:
https://www.instagram.com/flen__campos/?hl=es-la
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic