Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411493 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 29, 2024, 05:04:09 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralUnity run time fee
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Unity run time fee  (Read 6220 times)
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2023, 03:26:02 PM »

We should be sus of human error, but because its an "alogrithm" we aren't supposed to be sus of errors, nepotism and bad arbitrary decisions? And if the algorithm decides that our game is only worth a few hundred dollars, its great that there is no way to appeal?
No that's me speculating about why they wouldn't wanna be public about something like that. Most people probably feel it's more acceptable that everyone's subject to the same blind machine decisions than some guy looking at your game and dealing out ranking scores based on whatever is happening in his particular head in that particular moment.
But the point about opaque algorithms: it's probably an unfortunate inevitable reality with search rankings. There used to be an arms race between SEO spam sites and google before google just gave up. That war would have been lost before it started if the algorithms had been public.

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
Golds
Loves Juno
Level 10

Juno sucks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2023, 12:58:36 AM »

I've decided on moving to Unreal. Here's the YouTube playlist I used to get started.

@doomlaser, mark johns
Alex N.
Level 1

game dev!? so you play all day?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2023, 01:12:59 AM »

I've decided on moving to Unreal. Here's the YouTube playlist I used to get started.
"How to leave unity."  Cheesy Cheesy
A description that I liked was using Unreal for small to medium projects (a Spelunky2 level of difficulty let's say) feels more like trying to hammer a nail with a sledgehammer. However there's a smaller chance for Unreal to pull any crap like Unity did because they are also risking the fire to spread on to epic games store.

2D Artist & Animator - https://www.behance.net/AlexNae

I used to be here often:
The Underground King  > https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=60979
Game Of Foot  > https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=58338.0
Golds
Loves Juno
Level 10

Juno sucks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2023, 02:00:57 AM »

A description that I liked was using Unreal for small to medium projects (a Spelunky2 level of difficulty let's say) feels more like trying to hammer a nail with a sledgehammer

I've actually been following the newest generation of indie devs as well as I can, and quite a few are using Unreal to make really cool small-to-medium sized games. Here are a couple examples:

Pseudoregalia by rittz: https://store.steampowered.com/app/2365810/Pseudoregalia/

The Chameleon by Merlino Games: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1493970/The_Chameleon/

Photoshop and Blender are professional tools but can also be used to sketch out art at a MSPaint level if you want Smiley

@doomlaser, mark johns
michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2023, 04:42:18 AM »

Not to be too tangential but if google, valve, facebook, anyone wanted to crack down on spam, the way to do this is to USE HUMANS. Set up an office and hire a hundred or so people who sift through content and mark up what is and is not crap. If [GIANT COMPANY] doesn't want to fork out a sub 100k salary to a few hundred (or even a thousand) content mods, which is really not too much in the grand scheme of things, then they can charge people to get their site reviewed before listing it. If each website had to pay between 100 and 1000 dollars to get a ranking on google, that would cut down on spam quite a bit. Same thing with any of these giant companies.

The big problem is that you need to address the human element of having a staff of moderators. Make sure they have health care. Make sure they behave professionally. Have a hierarchy of oversight so that decisions are checked and possibly appealed. Its a business. But none of these arrogant monopolies feel like shelling out the dough and time to design such a system even though it would provide the highest quality results anyone has ever produced.

We should be sus of human error, but because its an "alogrithm" we aren't supposed to be sus of errors, nepotism and bad arbitrary decisions? And if the algorithm decides that our game is only worth a few hundred dollars, its great that there is no way to appeal?
No that's me speculating about why they wouldn't wanna be public about something like that. Most people probably feel it's more acceptable that everyone's subject to the same blind machine decisions than some guy looking at your game and dealing out ranking scores based on whatever is happening in his particular head in that particular moment.
But the point about opaque algorithms: it's probably an unfortunate inevitable reality with search rankings. There used to be an arms race between SEO spam sites and google before google just gave up. That war would have been lost before it started if the algorithms had been public.

pelle
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2023, 10:20:20 AM »

One major advantage of game-engines is cross-platform compatibility, of course. But that should be covered by upcoming SDL3 (except for consoles, I gues). It effectively upgrades SDL2 by a cross-platform vertex/fragment-shader. That's plenty of power for sophisticated visuals.

Raylib has a pretty insane long list of supported platforms and bindings for all the programming languages. The API seems pretty nice as well, even if I mostly just poked at it a bit from test-programs (in C and Rust). Maybe I am getting old and lazy, but I like having a few more built-in features than what raw SDL provides. But I am not sure I saw any very successful games made with Raylib, to my surprise. Maybe there is some reason not to use it?
J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2023, 05:37:51 AM »

Raylib was supposed to be just a weekend project, providing basic building blocks and wrappers for math, rendering, audio and such. It possibly grew over time but the spirit of programmer-oriented development certainly remains. The good thing about building your own technology is freedom. You can choose and use the libraries that you need, or write your own. You can still use SDL and mix in the math functionality of Raylib, for example. Assuming the functionality Raylib provides works as intended (no bugs etc.), the (code-related) quality of a game is almost entirely determined by all the code above and around it.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic