Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411422 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 10:59:15 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingGame Name Clinic - I will rate your game's name
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 155
Print
Author Topic: Game Name Clinic - I will rate your game's name  (Read 618197 times)
handCraftedRadio
The Ultimate Samurai
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #200 on: February 17, 2008, 11:46:07 AM »

Pokémonocole

carbon
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #201 on: February 26, 2008, 09:52:37 PM »

This sounds pretty interesting. Are you still willing to criticize and offer feedback on game names? I'd like to participate. Smiley

My current game (in development anyway) is a top-down, multiplayer shooter that isn't going to be too kiddy but not too violent, either. Guns, grenades, etc. but not so much blood and hideous sounds. The main premise of the game is going to be a terrorism-counterterrorism spiel.

I've named my game Destrike.

Eragard in alpha development.
team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #202 on: February 27, 2008, 11:36:11 PM »

This sounds pretty interesting. Are you still willing to criticize and offer feedback on game names? I'd like to participate. Smiley

My current game (in development anyway) is a top-down, multiplayer shooter that isn't going to be too kiddy but not too violent, either. Guns, grenades, etc. but not so much blood and hideous sounds. The main premise of the game is going to be a terrorism-counterterrorism spiel.

Man your forum is plagued by Langly. The only problem with Destrike is its a quite apparent rip of Counter-Strike.
A name has more to do with content and story then Gameplay and features. All we know about the story is that there are terrorists and counter-terrorists. Why are they fighting? Who is Fighting? Where are they fighting? What are they fighting about?

It would be easier to come up with an answer if you answered those questions. Unless you really wanted something Generic like "Neutralizer"(s) or "Obcured-Front"

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
carbon
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #203 on: February 28, 2008, 10:00:43 AM »

It's not a game with a story. There isn't going to be a single-player mode. The name I was going to use before Destrike was Onslaught. Something generic that fits the gameplay.

EDIT: Langly is a friend of mine that thought trolling my forums would be funny. I've taken care of it for now.. lol.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 12:26:36 PM by carbon » Logged

Eragard in alpha development.
Bisse
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: March 02, 2008, 04:25:06 PM »

Super Banana Nababa

Very hard SNES-style boss fighter with focus on WOW-factor and quality over quantity.

Topic

Rapte me
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #205 on: March 02, 2008, 04:55:10 PM »

There's not alot to say about Super Banana Nababa. It's pretty much an SNES version of an NES game, so it's quite apt. Plus it don't sound bad.

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #206 on: March 09, 2008, 12:33:12 PM »

Tangerball? argh

Basically you control a tangerine ball, trying to avoid some shit. It's my first flash game Tongue

fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

cant spell selfish without fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #207 on: March 13, 2008, 12:33:30 PM »

i would just call it tangerine.

its a much prettier word than "tangerball"

i dont get tangerine from tanger.
i get "whats a tanger?"

jwaap
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #208 on: March 13, 2008, 12:51:19 PM »

"the hangover"

Matt Thorson
Level 7

c'est la vie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #209 on: March 16, 2008, 11:31:48 PM »

"F(L)aiL"

Hardcore kinda-physics-based platformer.

(By the way it's too late to change the title because it's already woven into the story and such, I'm just curious.)

Radnom
Level 8

BANNED

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: March 17, 2008, 12:54:37 AM »

"F(L)aiL"

Hardcore kinda-physics-based platformer.

(By the way it's too late to change the title because it's already woven into the story and such, I'm just curious.)
I don't like it  Sad
brackets around one of the lett(E)rs? rAnDOm caPitaLiSatION? I realise it's hard to come up with names these days but raping the English language is never a good way out.

just my opinion :p I'm not liking this recent trend of doing weird stuff to the letters in a game's title.

Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #211 on: March 17, 2008, 02:13:47 AM »

How about Circle?
means Circle Is Random Colorful Little Emotions, and is an abstract sim-strategy game with a simple-to-learn-hard-to-master gameplay i'm working on

F(L)aiL sounds like flOw, but more complex

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
Matt Thorson
Level 7

c'est la vie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #212 on: March 17, 2008, 10:13:35 AM »

Yeah, "F(L)aiL" is the full title but it's a bit much to swallow so I'll probably refer to it as "FLaiL".

team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #213 on: March 18, 2008, 06:25:55 AM »

How about Circle?
means Circle Is Random Colorful Little Emotions, and is an abstract sim-strategy game with a simple-to-learn-hard-to-master gameplay i'm working on

F(L)aiL sounds like flOw, but more complex

I love recursive names, but they are a bit nerdy. So I say roll with it.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
Bennett
Jinky Jonky and the Spell of the Advergamez 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: March 25, 2008, 07:10:30 PM »

Sorry for dropping the ball on this, everyone. OK, what have I missed?

Is this because it's a DEmake of CounterSTRIKE? I think you can do better, since Destrike doesn't really mean anything or evoke anything - it won't even evoke counterstrike without an accompanying screenshot. You should call it something like

"Ticking Timebomb Scenario"

Super Banana Nababa

Yeah, it's a remake, so you don't have all that many choices here. This name does the job. For more naming opportunities, don't make a remake! (It's ok to make the occasional remake, of course)

Tangerball

No, this is horrible. The ball may be tangerine-coloured and ball-shaped, but that can hardly be the point of the game. The awful 'tangible' pun doesn't make the worthless name worthwhile, because tangerines are ALL ball-shaped. It isn't so bad if you 1) call it 'Tangiball' and 2) make sure it was obvious that the player is a tangerine rather than just an orange-coloured ball. In fact, you should do 2) no matter what name you choose, and add splashes of juice and a couple of small green leaves. Then pick a name which does something extra with the tangerine theme.

Something like "Tangerena"

"F(L)aiL"

Yeah I'm not so much into the punctuation names, but if you had just called it 'Flail' it would have been a pretty cool descriptive double-entendre, and you could have maintained your nice triple-entendre by calling it 'Flailure'.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 07:22:15 PM by Benzido » Logged
Bennett
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: March 25, 2008, 07:21:04 PM »

How about Circle?
means Circle Is Random Colorful Little Emotions

Yeah, recursive names are nerdy, so nerdy that you can't use them unless your game is Linux-only. EVERY name for Linux software is recursive! But you don't really want to be that nerdy. No, really. No. No, really. I know, I know, but really.

I think the word 'random' is a bit of a no-no in videogames, even in games where the gameplay has a random element. It has a ring of arbitrariness, which is death for good gameplay. Observe:

Avoid the Random Sniper Strike

Dungeon of the Random Deathtrap

Random Score Attack!

I think we can usefully trim down your title, which is 1) a too-long acronym, 2) abominably overnerdy, and 3) containing the word 'Random'. You should call it

Colorful Emotions
Or just call it Circle and forget all that other crap.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 06:14:48 AM by Benzido » Logged
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #216 on: March 26, 2008, 05:28:10 PM »

Hey Benzido, do you have any favourite titles from the VGNG contest? Smiley

Bennett
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: March 27, 2008, 06:24:14 AM »

Hey Benzido, do you have any favourite titles from the VGNG contest? Smiley

The names in that competition, I should point out, are doing something subtly different from the job of a name in an ordinary situation. These names have to inspire the author to try making the game, and also I think in many cases people are trying to make a game which plays humorously on the title which was generated, rather than doing flat-footed interpretations of the title. For example, when i hear 'Obsessive compulsive penguin simulator' I expect it to be an obsessive-compulsively accurate simulator, not a simulator for OCD penguins.

So I have a favourite title on its own - completely ignoring the game - which is:

ROM CHECK FAIL (not surprisingly, since it wasn't generated by the VGNG)

And I have a favourite concept-title combination:

Super Mario vs. Programming in China

But my favourite game to play so far is Morbidly Obese Workout Man
[platypus]
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: March 28, 2008, 10:15:27 AM »

I thought long and hard when would be the best time to say something. It seems that first comments in here are rated, but I give up, and just decided to join the group of fabulous gentlemen.

My upcoming game is called "A wistful delirium".
It's an adventure game. The protagonist, a 6-year-old girl, finds herself from a train, leading to oblivion. She has enterd a macabre world of strange low-lifers, and she now must find out, why/how she is there, and how to get out.

I'll make a blog out of this game, when I find the time.

It feels good to finally be a member of TIGsource.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 11:08:25 AM by [platypus] » Logged
MultiPigeon
Level 0

Executive Walrus

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: March 28, 2008, 10:34:35 AM »

I can't resist. My name already breaks one of your rules but here we go.

Sanja
It's a platforming action/puzzle game about a a girl named Sanja.
The reason for choosing that name is because I'm from Sweden. When making something in hope of it finding succes on internet, I always take some time to think about how to promote Sweden. Sanja is a swedish name, just so you know.

I'm also planning to have full voice acting in the game in swedish. Don't worry though, there will be both english and swedish subtitles and I plan to have to two voice settings, swedish and english, recorded with the same cast for the characters in both languages.

I'm very happy with the name so the chances of changing it is slim.

And the story? It's about saving the world from a mad scientist or something. I dunno, I've spent most of my time thinking about the gameplay.

My creative side is as big as my lazy side.
The possessor of many ideas.
The accomplisher of few.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 155
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic