Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 01:45:43 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingGame Name Clinic - I will rate your game's name
Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 155
Print
Author Topic: Game Name Clinic - I will rate your game's name  (Read 620019 times)
zenith77
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2260 on: January 17, 2013, 04:10:02 PM »

I have a real challenge for you. I've been writing my game for many years, and the concept of a name has always stumped me... so hopefully you can help.

I'm writing an online Football Manager game. Which just about makes it impossible to come up with an original, non-generic and relevant name.

Just to give you some idea of it, it's online, single or multiplayer, and has both retro and modern databases. It's generally got a retro feel to it too, and will be playable on it's own website and through Facebook.

Anyway - the problem of the name - I currently got with Tenth Art Championship Soccer - where Tenth Art is the name of my company. Either that or On The Ball Championship Soccer (as On The Ball are 'the words' of my favourite team). Neither are very good. There was also a game call On The Ball many years ago, which further makes it more difficult.

The biggest problem is that most of the names are either they take the format;

Football/ Soccer/ Championship/ Trophy/ Tracksuit(!)/ Pitchside/ Striker - Manager/ Director/ Boss/ Arena/ Hopeful

Some of which have a suffix; Ultimate/ Online/ Super/ Mega

Of which every combination has been used to death, or they use a popular phase from the game;

On The Ball/ The Double/ The Dugout/ Hattrick/ Funny Old Game/ Game of Two Halves etc.

Again, all of which are either used or rubbish.

So... there you go - consider me totally stumped. I guess this the Ultimate Online Funny Old Game Manager Naming Challenge.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 04:32:09 PM by zenith77 » Logged
rek
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2261 on: January 17, 2013, 04:46:11 PM »

I have a real challenge for you. I've been writing my game for many years, and the concept of a name has always stumped me... so hopefully you can help.

I'm writing an online Football Manager game. Which just about makes it impossible to come up with an original, non-generic and relevant name.

Question 1: Football or Soccer?
Question 2: You said you have modern and retro databases – do you intend to use real world team names/logos and real player names?
Question 3: How faithful do you want it to be to the real world in terms of leagues/names/locations/etc?
zenith77
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2262 on: January 17, 2013, 05:04:39 PM »

Question 2: You said you have modern and retro databases – do you intend to use real world team names/logos and real player names?
Question 3: How faithful do you want it to be to the real world in terms of leagues/names/locations/etc?

1) Football *is* Soccer (to 99% of the world) Wink Soccer is officially Association Football (Soccer comes from a play on 'assocation'). The best and classic game of the genre is called 'Football Manager'. Worth pointing out, most people who support (non-Aussie/non-US) Football hate the term Soccer - as only Aussie and Americans use that term - so should be avoided if possible.
2) Yeah - real world players and names. Although the game will intended to run off historic data (from 1996), the option of modern data is there.
3) Pretty faithful, although I'll have to avoid copyrights etc. where I need to. So I may have to muddle them, I'm not sure.
rek
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2263 on: January 18, 2013, 07:38:22 AM »

1) Football *is* Soccer (to 99% of the world) Wink Soccer is officially Association Football (Soccer comes from a play on 'assocation'). The best and classic game of the genre is called 'Football Manager'. Worth pointing out, most people who support (non-Aussie/non-US) Football hate the term Soccer - as only Aussie and Americans use that term - so should be avoided if possible.
2) Yeah - real world players and names. Although the game will intended to run off historic data (from 1996), the option of modern data is there.
3) Pretty faithful, although I'll have to avoid copyrights etc. where I need to. So I may have to muddle them, I'm not sure.

1) I know football and soccer are the same game, but the two terms will appeal to (or confuse) different audiences. If you're aiming for mostly North Americans (Canadians call it soccer too) and Aussies, use Soccer in the name because football means something else; otherwise, use Football.

2) Is using real player names legal? (Calling something from 1996 "historic" makes my joints ache, you whippersnapper!)

3) This could work in your favour, if you use in-game names that evoke real-world counterparts. With that in mind, what soccer-related names are the most appealing to you?
Nathan Cash
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2264 on: January 18, 2013, 10:14:49 AM »

Its funny how in American Football you hold the ball rather than, well... kicking it. Hold/Tackle ball would be a more appropriate name than Football since your feet are not used to control the ball. But anyways, if you are making a soccer manager game just call it that. Soccer Manager. Americans will know what you mean and so will all other countries. They just might get annoyed.
zenith77
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2265 on: January 20, 2013, 04:17:04 PM »

1) I know football and soccer are the same game, but the two terms will appeal to (or confuse) different audiences. If you're aiming for mostly North Americans (Canadians call it soccer too) and Aussies, use Soccer in the name because football means something else; otherwise, use Football.

2) Is using real player names legal? (Calling something from 1996 "historic" makes my joints ache, you whippersnapper!)

3) This could work in your favour, if you use in-game names that evoke real-world counterparts. With that in mind, what soccer-related names are the most appealing to you?

1) I reckon my audience is totally *not* Americans (although I'll have American teams in there... from the very first MLS, as well as about 10 to 15 other nations).

2) haha! Smiley By historic, I mean "not now"...! I am 35, myself. Don't let the baby-face good looks fool you... Wink

3) Yeah - part of the reason is this - normally, you play a manager game for 10 seasons... and by that time you have no connection with any of the opposition as none of them possess a side you are vaguely familiar in real life. Hence starting the game early - you then, after 10 seasons are totally familiar with the teams and squads you are playing. Clever, huh? Wink
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 04:40:56 PM by zenith77 » Logged
zenith77
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2266 on: January 20, 2013, 04:18:05 PM »

Its funny how in American Football you hold the ball rather than, well... kicking it. Hold/Tackle ball would be a more appropriate name than Football since your feet are not used to control the ball. But anyways, if you are making a soccer manager game just call it that. Soccer Manager. Americans will know what you mean and so will all other countries. They just might get annoyed.

There are 100s of games called Soccer Manager - or a variation on it. Hence why it's such a struggle to come up with anything unique... or anything where the domain name hasn't long since been snapped up Sad
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 04:40:33 PM by zenith77 » Logged
tnr
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2267 on: January 21, 2013, 06:40:59 AM »

Hi everyone. I'm very new to TIG as well as to game development in general. I'm an artist/animator but no programmer. I'm in the process of making an animated mock-up of a rhythm based RPG in hopes of hooking up with a programmer to actually execute it. Wish me luck?   Cheesy

Anyway, the name for the game has always been in my head, but I'm open to feedback on it. Ready?

Battle Beats

DUN DUN DUN!

Holy crap. I actually have a project I've been planning called Battle Beats that was a rhythm based RPG. It was supposed to be the sequel to my current project.

We should discuss this.
kessler
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2268 on: January 21, 2013, 10:21:55 AM »

This is a fast paced 2 button 1 screen platformer that I have been working on. I have named it Raaahhh.

Shackhal
Level 9

Like a child with toys

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2269 on: January 28, 2013, 10:58:17 PM »

This is a fast paced 2 button 1 screen platformer that I have been working on. I have named it Raaahhh.

If the game is with monsters, then the name is awesome! If not...well...I don't know.

PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2270 on: February 02, 2013, 07:41:56 AM »

I am making an Android top down 3D racing game. I thought to call it Touch Race, but I saw there is already a game called Touch Racing Nitro.

Do you have any suggestions? :/

Master of all trades.
shay.yizhak
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2271 on: February 03, 2013, 06:08:26 AM »

Hi All,

My name is Shay Yizhak and I'm CEO and Lead Programmer for a new indie game studio New Retro Studio. Currently, we're working on our first game, and despite having all of its design finished months ago, we have yet to find it a proper name. So, I'm looking for suggestions.

About the game: it's a space combat sim, resembling Freespace 2, and games like TIE-fighter and X-Wing alliance.

The problem with naming the game is that the setting is not constant. Everything in the game can change: the ships, the story, the characters, the settings and so on. So, we're looking for a general name. One that fits the game, and will fit any type of setting and campaign we use (at the moment, there are 3 planned campaigns, with a linking storyline. More will come later).

Any assistance you guys can give will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
-Shay

Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2272 on: February 03, 2013, 06:13:22 AM »

Zyxer
Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2273 on: February 03, 2013, 07:48:32 AM »

I don't get it; if everything in the game can change, why do you need to fix a name now, beyond a working title? Anyway: Blue Gemini.

siskavard
« Reply #2274 on: February 03, 2013, 08:45:57 AM »

Quantus
rosholger
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2275 on: February 03, 2013, 10:13:15 AM »

I don't get it; if everything in the game can change, why do you need to fix a name now, beyond a working title? Anyway: Blue Gemini.

i think he means that the setting in the different campaigns will not be constant
shay.yizhak
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2276 on: February 03, 2013, 10:19:35 AM »

i think he means that the setting in the different campaigns will not be constant

I meant, EVERYTHING in the game can change. Playing one campaign may look like one game, and playing another campaign may look (and feel) completely different. The story, the characters, the general look - can all change. That's why the name we're looking for can't be specific to one campaign, or any of its elements.

PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2277 on: February 03, 2013, 10:28:29 AM »

Call it "Indie CEO, the game"

Master of all trades.
shay.yizhak
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2278 on: February 03, 2013, 11:58:24 AM »

Call it "Indie CEO, the game"

I like. The rest of my team won't. But I do. Maybe I should just fire them all...

zalzane
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #2279 on: February 03, 2013, 12:35:23 PM »

make everyone on your team think up at least one name per day for a week or two.

at the end, pick the best name.

Can you post some screenshots so we can get a better idea of what you've got?
Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 155
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic