Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 05:46:04 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingGame Name Clinic - I will rate your game's name
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 155
Print
Author Topic: Game Name Clinic - I will rate your game's name  (Read 612344 times)
Maud'Dib Atreides
Level 4

Obsessed with space

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2320 on: March 11, 2013, 04:06:41 PM »

LoveCraft

A Voxel based sim-dating action game with crafting and building in the same setting as Minecraft. As a matter of fact, it would pretty much just be Minecraft with these added features.

Your character has a short lifespan of 5 minutes so you must constantly search for a suitable mate in order to have a child that will continue the game. The child then repeats the process as it ages into adulthood.

You attract mates by crafting valuable objects.

Possible obstacles include rejection and potentially other violent suitors (This would be an multiplayer game)

I just finished a game I call Heartography.  It was something I started as part of the global game jam 2013.

whoo hoo! Global Game Jam 2013!

Thank you very much for the feedback in advance.

FINISH THAT GAME.

Guy: Give me all of your money.
Chap: You can't talk to me that way, I'M BRITISH!
Guy: Well, You can't talk to me that way, I'm brutish.
Chap: Somebody help me, I'm about to lose 300 pounds!
Guy: Why's that a bad thing?
Chap: I'M BRITISH.
caribou
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2321 on: March 12, 2013, 11:54:55 PM »

Hello,

I'm doing a little moba game, it's about fighting, managing its own tower (moving / repairing), and pushing the team towers to the enemy base.

The project name is "Xaxa" aka random letters smashed on my keyboard; but i want something definitive.

Other grabbed ideas are :

Push as hell
PushPushPush

Something with obelisk in the name (as in the fighting towers i'm using in the game), War of the obelisks (hoho)...

After the feedbacks i got i tried to go on another path, something in that idea :

Obelisks of Mazolar
Pillars of Cineda
Columns of Oroca

How does that sound ?

keon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2322 on: March 13, 2013, 01:01:03 PM »

I dunno, caribou – too many proper nouns. When I see those titles I ask myself, "what and/or who is this Mazolar/Cineda/Oroca?" Unlike, say, Skyrim or Middle-earth, those names appear to be completely a priori rather than a combination of existing words. Besides, the whole structure just reeks of fantasy cliché. It's the same feeling as Kingdoms of Amalur: "Oh look, medieval-ish thingies of some name with the exact same phonology as every other stock fantasy world." Now, I have absolutely no clue how original this game is but the first impressions from the title aren't that great. I mean, when was the last time we saw something like Palaces of Lán Shān or Ruins of Aavikko, maybe even something crazy like Conquest of Mböksa? It's always pseudo-Elvish.

My advice is keep it original-sounding, and if it's a non-English language you should probably keep the title to one word or one short phrase.
caribou
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2323 on: March 13, 2013, 01:36:13 PM »

That's the best feedback i've had, thanks a lot !

I completely agree with the way too clichy sounding of the title and that frustrate me even more since my first ideas were trying to avoid that. I like your more scandinavian sounding, i'll come back with more ideas. Smiley

Sir Raptor
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #2324 on: March 19, 2013, 09:12:10 AM »

A Dangerous Venture

An action adventure game inspired by Zelda a Link to the Past and Dungeons and Dragons, in which the DnD elements push the game to rogue-like mechanics and play.

Thank you very much for the feedback in advance.

Drop the "A "..  it makes it sound generic. And no listings you're going to be trying to get higher up on are going to be alphabetic anyway.
I thought the "A" was intentional. A D. Venture, you see.

LoveCraft

A Voxel based sim-dating action game with crafting and building in the same setting as Minecraft. As a matter of fact, it would pretty much just be Minecraft with these added features.

Your character has a short lifespan of 5 minutes so you must constantly search for a suitable mate in order to have a child that will continue the game. The child then repeats the process as it ages into adulthood.

Possible obstacles include rejection and potentially other violent suitors (This would be an multiplayer game)
The name Lovecraft already has its own particular connotations, so I'd say no.
mattroks101
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2325 on: March 20, 2013, 09:48:40 AM »

LoveCraft

Lovecraft is usually associated with H.P. Lovecraft. And this game sounds like it has nothing to do with good ol' H.P. A name like this would throw a lot of people off, so I would go with something else.
siskavard
« Reply #2326 on: March 20, 2013, 01:53:05 PM »

LoveCraft

MATE-OR-DIE

YERWELCOME
rek
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2327 on: March 21, 2013, 08:52:51 AM »

LoveCraft

Call it Mayfly.

(Some Mayfly species have an adult lifespan measured in minutes, but some species live a few days.)
SF
Level 0

Game Builder Club and 3d Game Birds Gameapp Maker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2328 on: March 22, 2013, 02:08:04 PM »

First time I've talked about these high concept plans in a very public space. Interested in people's reactions in general:

Skye the Streamertail

An at-first-glance harmless deconstruction of 16-bit era mascot platformers and 90s popular culture that turns into a horror game by the end.

Let's Firefighting!

Heavily stylized game about cybernetically enhanced firefighters competing to rescue the wealthy in a fully privatized Libertarian dystopia. This one is the most likely to have its title changed.

Sepia Showdown

1 on 1 Japanese-influenced fighting game set in a ridiculously over-the-top WW2 setting, meant to parody the cartoonish representation of war in video games in general. Think Inglorious Basterds meets King of Fighters.

Bordello

A "sim" genre game in a fantasy universe where you play a mistress building a successful whorehouse. Unapologetic darkness juxtaposes the typically lighthearted genre. Keep their bellies flat and their spirits broken!

I'm starting to think I might be weird.

It's a bad day to be travelling, but it's a great day to drink it!
xrm0
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2329 on: March 24, 2013, 03:35:00 PM »

I'm finishing a game where you work in a "pixel factory" creating pixels by mixing different amounts of Red, Green and Blue. It's called "Another pixel worker from sector 169".

More graphics at http://mulitasoft.com/games/apw/microsite
And a teaser video at

TPathuis
« Reply #2330 on: March 27, 2013, 04:08:51 AM »

I'm working on 'RedplusBlue' which is what I call a '1-player co-op puzzle-platformer'.
The goal of the game is to get the 2 playable characters together; when they touch, they conjoin. The video will (hopefully) explain better:

Curious to know what you think about the name of the game (and game itself).

Thomas
Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2331 on: March 27, 2013, 04:35:41 AM »

I'm working on 'RedplusBlue' which is what I call a '1-player co-op puzzle-platformer'.
The goal of the game is to get the 2 playable characters together; when they touch, they conjoin.

The name doesn't look very appealing. It sounds cool though. I'd play around with some extra spaces there. Or replace "plus" with an actual plus sign.

Red+Blue

GreenflyStudios
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2332 on: March 27, 2013, 11:40:23 AM »

I'm quite happy with the name of our game QuickDraw however I would love some thoughts on the game mode names.

Currently I have:

Gentleman's Walk - all players stand back to back, take paces to the church bell and turn/fire
Mexican Standoff - all players are in a circle facing each other. Upon the draw sound, everyone fires.
Outlaw's vs Sheriffs - players are in teams but played like above. The average score from each team determines the winner.

TIG Thread: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=32439.0
Video:

thinlikenate
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2333 on: March 27, 2013, 04:21:54 PM »

TRIGGER HAPPY HUSTLE

Don't wanna give too much away, but it's basically a classic NES-style platformer shooter with some... surprises. Tons of guns, enemies, bosses, levels, characters, items, upgrades, etc. This is an actual screenshot, so ignore the black box with a 5 in it. It's for iPhone.

rek
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2334 on: March 28, 2013, 05:55:41 AM »

Outlaw's vs Sheriffs

Lose the apostrophe and you're good to go.
madruse
Level 0

deep in code

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2335 on: March 29, 2013, 08:47:34 AM »

Vortex is the working title.  Here's the game in one long sentence:
You're part of an independent, intergalactic, space mining ship crew that travels from galaxy to hostile galaxy collecting powerful elements that you cash in by transporting thru matching vortexes to a greedy space corporation.

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=32500.0

Other names that we have thrown around:
VortX, Vortrox, Vortrax, Vortrix, Vorticity, Vortronic, Vortronauts, Marauders, Galactic Marauders, Space Marauders, Galactic Raiders, Galaxy Raiders, Space Raiders, Space Miners, Galactic Miners, Galaxy Miners, Orbtex, Orbex, Orbalatic, Orbtrix, Orbtrox

« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 08:17:15 AM by madruse » Logged

Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2336 on: March 29, 2013, 09:39:29 PM »

Vortex is way too overused
Carefree games
« Reply #2337 on: March 31, 2013, 12:33:14 PM »

@TPathuis: Do what Eigen suggested. Red+Blue is a much more appealing title. The game looks sharp! Great use of colors.
HemoGoblin
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2338 on: April 02, 2013, 07:09:47 AM »

I am creating an indie puzzle game called Block Buster, what do you think about this name?
The game looks like this:

The only thing i am worried about is that maybe i could get into some trademark conflicts with BLOCKBUSTER company. It's not exactly the same name but...
ananasblau
Level 2

dressed up

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2339 on: April 02, 2013, 12:32:24 PM »

Vortex is the working title.  Here's the game in one long sentence:
You're part of an independent, intergalactic, space mining ship crew that travels from galaxy to hostile galaxy collecting powerful elements that you cash in by transporting thru matching vortexes to a greedy space corporation.
Other names that we have thrown around:
VortX, Vortrox, Vortrax, Vortrix, Vorticity, Vortronic, Vortronauts, Marauders, Galactic Marauders, Space Marauders, Galactic Raiders, Galaxy Raiders, Space Raiders, Space Miners, Galactic Miners, Galaxy Miners, Orbtex, Orbex, Orbalatic, Orbtrix, Orbtrox

Judging from the video tt's guitar hero for people who live in an astroid belt and like their space things nice and tidy. I would have suggested something Kuiper but someone's been faster at claiming the name: http://www.newarcade.net/game/4571/Kuiper.html

But maybe Kuiper Belt Hero does work for you.

Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 155
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic