Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411519 Posts in 69380 Topics- by 58436 Members - Latest Member: GlitchyPSI

May 01, 2024, 02:14:06 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingGame Name Clinic - I will rate your game's name
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 155
Print
Author Topic: Game Name Clinic - I will rate your game's name  (Read 620636 times)
Bennett
Jinky Jonky and the Spell of the Advergamez 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: April 02, 2008, 07:59:38 AM »

"G"

I quite like this name. It sums up the game's hook, it's short, and there aren't any other games called 'G' that I know of. I hope you picked a cool typeface for the name.

"IMPACT!"

Well, this isn't so good. Impact could describe just about 99% of the games out there. And you lost the descriptive quality of the first name. If you combined the ideas of 'impact' and 'gravity' you could still have a winner... something like:

'The Harder They Fall'

"The night of The Puppets" - failed

I think this one failed because the name was too uninspiring. It's like a temporary working title for a game: the most obvious description of your game design. Since you already abandoned it I'm not going to bend my brain to think of a better one though.

"POLPETTE" - in development

Yeah, in English it's called a 'meatball' or a 'rissole', but you don't need to translate it because most anglophone countries have Italian restaurants. Why did you capitalize it?

To address the title - I'm in favour of choosing a name from non-English languages for your title. I think at least for indie gamers, there's nothing too offputting about using an Italian word (for John Madden fans it may be another story). I think this title is good, so long as the style of the game is fairly cute and funny. If the style is serious, then 'Polpette' is inappropriate.

So, I think you can either call it 'Polpette', or 'Meatball'. I agree with fartron that 'Meatballs' (the plural) can't be used as it will remind people of that movie. I think 'Meatball' is a slightly better choice, but then I'm not Italian.

I'm working on a corruption of a 4X game, but confined by the laws of physics: no faster-than-light, all inside the solar system, no alien races to fight. Planets are huge resources and long-term investments, and lots of people living in space habitats. A tycoonish game with the goal of colonizing the system, with various political-economic power struggles. Displeased colonies attempting independence, pirates in the asteroid belt, brazen multiplanetary corporations.. I want to play with the idea of architecture as politics, the technological and infrastructural choices of the player having long term consequences.

Did you ever play 'Deuteros'? This sounds similar (that's not a bad thing, by the way).

Final Hegemony

No, this name is waaay too overthought, and it sounds bad.

Heliocracy?

Meaning that the people are ruled by the Sun? This sounds like a name for a caveman simulator or an RPG about being a rooster.

Solar Dynasty?

This is better, but I think unless you are emphasising the royal family's significance, the word 'Dynasty' is kind of a wasted word... it's there because it sounds cool, but it doesn't do any other work.

I think the hook of your concept is that humanity is alone in space, fenced off from the universe by an untraversable void and slowly devouring itself. You need to capture this in the title... something like:

'Four Rocks and Five Balls of Gas'

Well, that's a little long. Ok, here's my actual suggestion - I know it looks fairly basic, but it's a neat double-entendre and it describes your game well.

'Solar Revolution'

New Disciples Of Our Violence Future

No, that's kind of a mess. The English is broken in an uncool way - you can correct that by saying 'Violent' instead of 'Violence', but it's still a title which fails to evoke any coherent image in the mind. DIT is correct - it needs to give a bit more to the person who reads it. You totally broke the 4 word limit as well, and I think you can get across the idea in a more economic way. I have a radical and excellent suggestion for you, an edgy double-entendre:

'Riot Race'
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 08:02:05 AM by Benzido » Logged
FARTRON
Level 4

the last man in space

View Profile WWW
« Reply #241 on: April 02, 2008, 10:06:35 AM »

I agree with Benzido, I like the names G and Polpette though I suspect a lot of English speakers will think it rhymes with "rosette" despite the prevalence of Italian restaurants.

The Harder They Fall was a Bogart movie, but it's still a good title.

Thanks for the pointer to Deuteros, I'm going to have to track down a copy and try it out. I've been wrestling with Final Hegemony for a while.. I know it doesn't exactly flow off the tongue unless you read as much political-economic theory as I do, so it's sort of a working title.

I'm not quite feeling Solar Revolution since revolution is essentially a losing condition of the game. Splinter colonies and black markets are wounds in the side of the solar government. Dynasty doesn't quite work since I'd been playing with the idea of making the player a single near-immortal leader. An old name I'd forgotten was Star Chairman.

Everything that was once directly lived has receded into a representation. - debord
Bennett
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: April 02, 2008, 10:36:12 AM »

Star Chairman loses the whole aspect of evoking the insularity of the solar system.

I think you are reading too much political-economic theory. Revolution may be a losing condition of the game, but when it comes to videogame names, 'revolution' is a selling point, not a catastrophe. In any case, you could always tweak it to something like 'Stop The Solar Revolution', which maintains the neat double-entendre.

If you really can't go with that, how about this double-tweak, which produces a triple-entendre:

Evolve Around The Sun
DIT
Level 0

O_O"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #243 on: April 02, 2008, 12:00:38 PM »

Solar revolution is working, but I do not find it extremely attractive.
"Evolve around the sun" is really clear, but also a little boring in my opinion.
Something like "Evolution Sun" or "Revolution Sun", it has almost no meaning, but sounds cool to me. Or parhaps it does not. Shocked

Brainstorming a little ... with the help of the mighty Wikipedia...

- Solar Core
- Eris Frontier
(Eris seems to be the furthermost (known) celestial body in the solar system and personification of strife and discord in greek mithology)
- Solar Frontier

Dunno.  Smiley

Benzido thanks for your feedback too, very appreciated.

G - I think I used a cool typeface, but we were quite in a hurry for this game.

IMPACT! - The Harder They Fall would be awesome, but in the game nothing is
falling. Just to understand what G and IMPACT are about:

However i like your suggestion, i will think about some variant.

The night of The puppets - it failed cause it was too huge for a 4 man team.
If it will ever be resumed we already have a different game concept, so we will find a new name. Again, just so that we know what we are speaking about:

World Editor

Polpette, no capital letters intended, it was a mistake.
However is a cute game where you have to whipe our every opponent in the map. By ... strategy and "natural selection". From what you are telling me, this title will be ok. Smiley

Thanks again for your advice guys, it was really precious.  Grin

Marco Di Timoteo | Studio Evil | Twitter: @evilredpenguin | My game on Greenlight
Bennett
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: April 02, 2008, 12:50:13 PM »

Looks cool! I would have called that something like 'Tractor Beam' or 'Attractor'. In the early 1980s, if this game had come out for the ZX Spectrum, it would have been called:

Attractor Attacker!
FARTRON
Level 4

the last man in space

View Profile WWW
« Reply #245 on: April 02, 2008, 02:05:22 PM »

I'm still not satisfied.

Orbital Empire? Has a nice ring, but I worry it's a little dry. I wish Spielberg/Ballard hadn't taken Empire of the Sun because that's a great title. Perhaps just Heliosphere?

Everything that was once directly lived has receded into a representation. - debord
Bennett
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: April 02, 2008, 02:50:15 PM »

Why not call it Empire of the Sun? Look, there are something like 30 songs called 'Rendezvous'. There are six films called "The Visitor". And there are at least two games called 'Off the Wall'. Just go for it.
Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: April 02, 2008, 03:06:39 PM »

Empire of the Sun sounds too similar to Sins of a Solar Empire to me...  Undecided
december
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: April 02, 2008, 07:03:37 PM »

Damn, Riot Race is smazzy.  Thanks!

Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBC code and smileys may be used in your signature.
Bennett
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: April 02, 2008, 08:21:51 PM »

Damn, Riot Race is smazzy.  Thanks!

Hooray, a happy customer!  Smiley
DIT
Level 0

O_O"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #250 on: April 03, 2008, 04:58:49 AM »

Attractor Attacker!

Shocked Awesome.
Just a name like this and you warp 20 years into the past.

Empire of the Sun sounds too similar to Sins of a Solar Empire to me...  Undecided

I was about to say the same.
However I find that Empire of the Sun works pretty well for your game.

Marco Di Timoteo | Studio Evil | Twitter: @evilredpenguin | My game on Greenlight
necromian
Level 2

ʘ_ʘ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #251 on: April 04, 2008, 11:49:04 AM »

A puzzle game about OCD called perfection
Technicality
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #252 on: April 04, 2008, 11:51:54 AM »

I'm working on a little shoot em up where you fly into huge invading ships and blow them up. The plan is to have the emphasis on the surroundings trying to kill you, with the hordes of enemies playing a less prominent role.

I've been thinking about calling it "Into the Machine", but I'm wondering if its a bit long and abstract for a simple shooter.
Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: April 04, 2008, 06:42:11 PM »

I've been thinking about calling it "Into the Machine", but I'm wondering if its a bit long and abstract for a simple shooter.

I think it's awesome. Smiley
Bennett
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: April 04, 2008, 08:47:37 PM »

A puzzle game about OCD called perfection

Nice one... aren't all puzzle games about OCD?

Into the Machine", but I'm wondering if its a bit long and abstract for a simple shooter.

No, it's not too long or too abstract. An evocative name can add a lot of flavour to a simple shooter game. And this is an effective, evocative name.

It's a shame it's taken, but Shoot The Core would have been good, too.
DIT
Level 0

O_O"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #255 on: April 05, 2008, 01:35:40 AM »

I think "Perfection" is a very good name for a puzzle game. Smiley
It reminds me of shiny things and order.

I like a lot "Into the machine" it reminds me of "the chaos engine" and this a really a good thing.

Technicality
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #256 on: April 05, 2008, 03:45:26 AM »

Excellent! Thanks for the votes of confidence, they have calmed my concerns considerably. Now its full steam ahead, and hopefully I'll be making a feedback thread for it in the next week or two.
DestronPrime
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: April 06, 2008, 04:59:15 AM »

I thought of Every Other Colour, as a name for a sidescrolling shooter *without mouse control*. I chose this name 'cause it sounds poetic.
For a series of games I choose Gunmetal as it's name, so it would be like Gunmetal Axe or something. I also  made up the name Seductive Hero for a series about a super hero powered by women.
necromian
Level 2

ʘ_ʘ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #258 on: April 06, 2008, 07:07:33 AM »

A lateral thinking puzzle game called linearity or simplicity
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: April 07, 2008, 04:34:36 AM »

I thought of Every Other Colour, as a name for a sidescrolling shooter *without mouse control*. I chose this name 'cause it sounds poetic.
For a series of games I choose Gunmetal as it's name, so it would be like Gunmetal Axe or something. I also  made up the name Seductive Hero for a series about a super hero powered by women.
Every Other Colour... wow. That's gotta be one of the best names I've ever heard, for anything.

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 155
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic