Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411520 Posts in 69380 Topics- by 58436 Members - Latest Member: GlitchyPSI

May 01, 2024, 03:29:39 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsR for Revenge - Hotline Miami with skills
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: R for Revenge - Hotline Miami with skills  (Read 2564 times)
TienLee21
Level 0

TienLee

View Profile WWW
« on: October 16, 2023, 01:20:55 AM »

Greetings! I'm thrilled to officially announce my new game project - R for Redemption. This top down shooter/brawler hybrid has been months in the making and I think it has real potential.

Inspired by the legendary Hotline Miami, R for Redemption cranks up the action with breakneck gunplay and brutal melee combat. Clear out hordes of enemies before they clear YOU out. With permadeath on the line, every second counts.

Here's a sneak peek at some implemented gameplay so far:
  Toast Right Intuitive keyboard/gamepad movement gives you full control of the arena. Strafe, turn, and pull off precise maneuvers amidst the bullet chaos.
  Toast Right Dash with style, leaving enemies in the dust. But make sure you have a plan, because the dash meter wasn't infinite.
  Toast Right Get up close and personal with punching. Fighting them like a gorilla sure will save you some ammo, but expose you to damage. Risk reward!

I recently finished the sprite art for the main character, Ryan. Wearing a penguin hat and gripping a pistol, Ryan's gritty pixel art sets the tone for this tale of a hitman seeking redemption.

R for Redemption is my passion project. I'll be sharing regular dev updates and would love your impressions and ideas
Stay tuned for more details coming soon!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2023, 11:54:21 PM by TienLee21 » Logged

Tien
TienLee21
Level 0

TienLee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2023, 06:35:07 AM »

New Dev Log - Guns in R for Revenge  Beer!

Greetings! For my second dev log update, I've been laser focused on fleshing out the core gunplay mechanics to deliver that satisfying visceral feel you'd expect from this genre.

https://youtu.be/TIovdv2yylE?si=Luo_VNESqmLvhgMo
So far players can choose between a trusty sidearm for accuracy or a shotgun to wipe out crowds in close quarters. But variety is key, so I'm dedicating the next week to expanding options significantly. My goal is to create 8 distinct weapons to encourage experimentation.

Some concepts I'm excited to implement include an assault rifle for midpoint damage, an SMG variant to tear through multiple targets rapidly, and an accurate powerful handgun for players who like sniper. I also want to include rarer variants that reward exploration (like a banana gun lol). Nailing the risk vs reward of each will be a fun design challenge.

Here are some additional details I could provide about the gun system in R for Revenge:
  • Toast Right Weapons will have fixed ammo amounts per level rather than reloading. The shotgun for example may only allow 3-4 shots before needing to find a new one.
     Toast Right Downed enemies drop guns and their gun might not be fully loaded
     Toast Right Gun customization like scopes or extended magazines could be unlockable upgrades from the skill tree over time.
     Toast Right Defeat bosses also drop unique weapons that players can acquire as loot on victory.  Toast Right Those guns will be unlocked in future gameplay.
    Most importantly, I want each gun to feel satisfying to fire with responsive feedback/sound design. Visceral gunplay is a top priority!

I'm excited to continue refining the gunplay mechanics and roll out new weapon reveals in future dev logs. Let me know if you have any other questions! As always, thank you for your support and feedback so far.

Tien
TienLee21
Level 0

TienLee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2023, 10:55:44 PM »

Hello Agent,

For the third devlog of "R for Revenge", I wanted to give you all an update on one of the key skills I've been working on - the time reverse ability.
https://youtu.be/9RpRodKYzyY?si=psipSMsihyODNsZF
As some of you know, I took a lot of inspiration from Hotline Miami with the top-down, brutal gameplay of "R for Revenge". However, I wanted to add some unique mechanics that twist the formula and allow for more expressive and strategic player skills. That's where the idea for time reverse came from.

Players can now rewind time by 5 seconds and return their character to their previous position on the map. This opens up some really interesting possibilities for retrying risky moves or changing tactics on the fly. Players can now approach encounters in a more aggressive fashion, testing the limits without the risk of permadeath if they mess up.

Of course, time reverse isn't without its dangers. Players will need to be careful about position, reversing back into enemies didn’t seem like a good idea so careful planning is required. You can't just mash the button to automatically win fights.

I've been playtesting the skill extensively and am really happy with how it influences moment-to-moment decision making and adds another layer of strategy. Skillful use of time reverse to outmaneuver AI or retake favorable positions feels incredibly satisfying.

Let me know if you have any other questions! I'll be polishing and balancing this ability over the coming weeks. I think with further iterations, time reverse can truly set "R for Revenge" apart from other top-down action games. For the next major skill, I've been playing around with the idea of a "bullet time" mode that allows players to slow the passage of time for a brief period. More updates are coming soon!
« Last Edit: November 03, 2023, 11:01:47 PM by TienLee21 » Logged

Tien
TienLee21
Level 0

TienLee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2023, 01:37:23 AM »

Dev log - Bloody deaths in R for Revenge ‍

Hello agent, for this dev log I wanted to provide an update on the enemy death and gore system I have been developing for R for Revenge.
https://youtu.be/Cvox80arRo0?si=kcU5hXO5kd0szNMP

Authentic, visceral violence is an essential part of the game's identity because you can’t spell “Hotline miami” without the gruesome, bloody graphics. So I've put a lot of effort into making the various ways enemies meet their demise feel suitably brutal and gruesome.

First up, I hand-painted a vast library of death sprites showing enemies falling, covering wounds or being torn apart in dozens of unique poses. Besides that I also separate the upper body and the lower body to mix and match various death positions. Now no two deaths will look the same, keeping things randomly horrific.

Blood effects have also received an overhaul. It runs, smears and coagulates on floors, weapons and the enemy themselves. When the violence occurs, blood spatter is rendered to match the fatal wound.. Nothing breaks immersion like levitating blood blobs! ✍️

Perhaps my favorite touch is some enemies attempting hopeless last gasps as they fall. Gurgles and choked final pleas help emphasize the true cost of violence. It's a darker touch but fits the gritty theme.

I'm very pleased with the progress made on the new death and gore systems. While there is still work to be done tweaking the balance, I'm confident these changes elevate the visceral violence to match the overall intensity of R for Revenge. Thanks as always for your continued support and feedback!

Tien
TienLee21
Level 0

TienLee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2023, 11:52:46 PM »

Dev log - AI Behavior in R for Revenge
Hi agent, in the last dev log I shared an update on the blood and gore effects. This time, I want to discuss the improvements made to the enemy AI.

Having intelligent, responsive enemies is crucial to generating tension and providing a challenge. So I’ve been refining the way they detect, track and combat the player.

Utilizing the NavMeshPlus system, patrol paths have been customized for each map area. This allows natural movement patterns to emerge. When enemies spot the player, the chase is on. They smoothly transition from patrol to pursuit, firing continuously. If line of sight breaks, they will cautiously sweep the last known location before returning to their patrol position.

In upcoming development iterations, my goal is to introduce more diversity to how different enemies behave and can be engaged. Currently there is just the patrolling guard type, but in the future there will be other enemy archetypes with distinct movement patterns like random movement. Regardless of movement style, all enemies will retain the ability to notice, chase and engage the player once aware of their presence.

I'm excited to introduce these new strategic layers, where different enemy types demand distinct tactics to overcome. It should result in even more dynamic, tense encounters tuned to each level layout. Work now begins on implementing this expanded AI framework - thank you all for your patience and support as development progresses!

Tien
Flenn
Level 0

Composer musician

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2023, 05:06:29 AM »

Hi, I'm a musician composer and sound designer, I like the way your game R for Revenge is coming out, if you need audio, I would like to participate in the creation of your game.
TienLee21
Level 0

TienLee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2023, 06:46:44 AM »

Devlog - Slowing Down Time in crisis ⌛

Hello agent! For our intense top-down shooter "R for Revenge", survival in chaotic firefights is crucial. Players will face off against tough enemies with fast reflexes and deadly aim. But I wanted to give our main character an edge to turn the tables in dire situations and help players feel like they hold the power to manipulate time itself in the heat of battle.
https://youtu.be/Csri7xzGAkc?si=35EAnivdARs-YYNH
Enter "Last Stand" - a passive ability that kicks in when health drops below 25%. Time seems to stop as everything slows to a crawl. Enemies move in sluggish motion while bullets fly by at a snail's pace. From their perspective, the player dodges and retaliates with inhuman speed.

This is more than just a gameplay mechanic - it’s a chance to feel like a true master of assassination! Even on the brink of defeat, the main character seizes control by bending the laws of physics. A few precious seconds are gained to seek cover, line up a perfect killshot, or plan an escape.

Testing has been intense trying to get the slow motion effect just right. It needs to be slowed down enough to be tangible, but not so slow that it removes all sense of risk. I've found that making everything else run at around 10% speed achieves that balance of enhanced perception and urgency.

Of course, Last Stand won't save the player indefinitely. It only buys a few precious seconds to turn the tides. But I hope providing an epic slow motion moment to wipe out enemies will make for some memorable and cinematic gameplay sequences. Let me know what you think of this experimental new ability - any feedback is welcome as we tighten up the design. Stay tuned for more dev updates on "R for Revenge"!

Tien
TienLee21
Level 0

TienLee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2023, 11:42:05 PM »

I'm happy to share an update on "R for Revenge". I've added an enemy stun mechanic that allows throwing weapons to freeze enemies briefly. When stunned, a melee attack can be safely landed. This has added a lot of strategy during playtests - do you rush in or stun first? It creates some really intense moments deciding which tactic to use.

Thank you all for your continued support of this project. Please keep providing feedback as I work to polish and balance and wish you all the best going into 2024!

https://youtu.be/kINe9N068nM?si=uVhug80blqSAMKBY
« Last Edit: January 10, 2024, 01:46:06 AM by TienLee21 » Logged

Tien
TienLee21
Level 0

TienLee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2024, 11:22:50 PM »

Hello agent,

As many of you know who are familiar with R for Revenge, timing and movement are crucial skills in these top-down action games. I wanted to add an ability that plays with expectations and creates opportunities to outwit enemies. The new skill I've been prototyping allows the player character to temporarily duplicate themselves, spawning a clone. ✖️
<url>

</url>
Here's how it works - with a tap of the button, your character will split into two identical copies for a few seconds. The clone will instantly run forward making enemies that spot it will try to engage, taking valuable time to realize it's not the real player. This distraction can be used to flank opponents, draw fire away from yourself, or slip past unseen. It really encourages players to engage in taking risks and thinking one step ahead of your confrontations. ☣️

Balancing the clone has been tricky. It needs to be convincing enough to bait enemies but not too durable that it becomes overpowered. Right now the clone only lasts for 3-5 seconds before dissipating. I'm playing around with how much health/defense it should have if attacked as well. Right now the clone is purely a distraction, baiting enemies but not posing any actual threat. But what if later in the game, the player could upgrade their skills to allow the clone to fire their currently equipped weapon?

Let me know what you think of this addition! As always, feedback is highly appreciated as I work to refine mechanics and balance for the full release. I'm really excited about how this duplicate ability could add another layer of strategy to the mayhem. Stay tuned for more dev logs detailing other innovations in "R for Revenge"! ❣️

Tien
TienLee21
Level 0

TienLee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2024, 01:07:19 AM »

Devlog - Enhanced Enemy Reactions and Tactical Gameplay

Hello agent,
Welcome back to another solo devlog for "R for Revenge"! I'm excited to share the latest updates and improvements. In this week’s update, I'll be discussing the enhancements made to the enemy reactions and the introduction of a new type of weapon - the one with silencer!
https://youtu.be/xcdSAaDWRm0?si=Hl1jNEdL17kBOgAM
In the previous version, enemies would react to any gunshot. Additionally, they would respond to the death of any enemy, even if the kill occurred behind a wall or out of their line of sight. I felt that these behaviors needed refinement to improve realism and strategic gameplay.

In the latest update, enemies now only react if they witness or hear another enemy being taken down. This means that if you eliminate an enemy without being detected, the remaining enemies will continue with their regular patrol routes or behaviors. This change encourages players to employ careful planning.

With the introduction of this new enemy reaction system, I aimed to enhance the overall tactical gameplay experience by introducing silence weapons, including a small pistol and any other melee weapons. You, as the player, now have more control over your approach, allowing you to carefully eliminate enemies one by one without alerting the entire group. ️

Thank you for joining me on this journey for "R for Revenge." I believe that the enhancements to the enemy reactions and the introduction of a more tactical gameplay element will make the game even more engaging and immersive. Stay tuned for future dev logs, where I will continue to share my progress and provide insights into the ongoing development. ⌚

Tien
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic