Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411522 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 09:43:07 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallFateless Night - a 2D action platformer with the combo-based rewards
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Fateless Night - a 2D action platformer with the combo-based rewards  (Read 1069 times)
ashpdewan
Level 0

Platformer Lover

View Profile
« on: November 05, 2023, 03:44:52 AM »

It's hard to believe that I've been developing this game for a seven years. And it's even harder to believe that I'm going to release it on Steam next week! But let's talk about everything in order.

First of all, here's the game trailer:

Now, you might wonder what the heck is the "combo-based rewards"? You see, if you defeat an enemy, there's a 30% chance they will drop a shard - the local currency. However, defeating enemies also fills the combo meter and the higher it is, the greater the chance of shard drops. At x7 shards drop with a 100% chance and at x9 (maximum combo) you will always get a double shards. In other words, if you play really good, take no damage and defeat enemies quite fast, the rewards will be much higher.

But wait, there's more! The highest combo achieved in each of the completed stages are summed up. And depending on the total sum you can unlock access to the extra-levels and extra-bosses if you wish to obtain some useful goodies. These goodies are called "amulets" and basically they works in the same way as the charms in Hollow Knight.

Yeah, I know. The previous two paragraphs sounds too dull and convoluted. I've regretted so many times coming up with such a confusing combo system, because explaining how it works every time is such a pain in the butt.

Also, enemies here are randomly generated. No, it's not a rogue-lite. Such randomization should increase replayability of the game and make players improvise on the fly instead of just memorizing each enemy placements.

Fateless Night is not released yet, but you can still play a free demo (which is, like, 30% of the entire game) on Steam:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2067330/Fateless_Night/
« Last Edit: November 09, 2023, 08:28:43 AM by ashpdewan » Logged
ashpdewan
Level 0

Platformer Lover

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2023, 05:54:05 AM »

The game comes out tomorrow and I'm too worried about it. I mean, this is my first release on Steam - I have no idea what could go wrong or how I can prevent it.

Looks like I can only hope for the best Shrug.
ashpdewan
Level 0

Platformer Lover

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2023, 11:03:03 AM »

Good news, everyone! I'm proud to announce that Fateless Night is out on Steam now! I still can't believe that after all these years the work on this game is actually finished. Like, wow! I can't even describe what I'm feeling right now. I guess I need a few days to calm down and analyze what I did right and what I did wrong with this game.
ashpdewan
Level 0

Platformer Lover

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2023, 12:56:29 PM »

So, there is a youtube video where bosses (and midbosses) from my game are being defeated without getting hit. I'm always excited to see how other people are playing my games, especially when they are playing really great. Perhaps you are not excited about all of that as much as I am, but here's that video anyway, in case if you are still interested:

P.S. Normally these guys requires much more time, but the player upgraded attack A LOT and used some magic items to improve it even more. I still can't believe how easy these boss battles looks on the video Concerned.
ashpdewan
Level 0

Platformer Lover

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2023, 03:26:22 AM »

I can now proudly declare that Fateless Night is available on Steam! The fact that this game's development is now complete after all these years still amazes me. As in, whoa! My current state of emotions is beyond words. I suppose I'll need to give this game a few days to settle down and assess what went well and poorly.
Yup, just like that.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic