Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411522 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 11:23:19 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingNEW DEMO MARCH 8 2024 - Cards vs. Dungeons
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: NEW DEMO MARCH 8 2024 - Cards vs. Dungeons  (Read 1464 times)
cards-vs-dungeons
Level 0

View Profile
« on: November 05, 2023, 11:08:49 AM »

Realtime deckbuilder Cards vs. Dungeons!

DEMO:
https://professorobsessor.itch.io/cards-vs-dungeons

FOR MORE UP-TO-DATE INFO ON DAILY DEVELOPMENT, JOIN THE Cards Vs. Dungeons CHANNEL IN THE DISCORD HERE:
https://discord.gg/modlands

There are a bunch of time-based mechanics, like cards that have Riposte or Parry doing extra damage or interrupting attacks if you play them while enemies are attacking, Knockback increases the delay before the target enemy attacks, etc.

Also now there's a designed world map so you can try different paths across the continent, visiting towns and shrines while fighting ambient combat encounters.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2024, 02:26:34 PM by cards-vs-dungeons » Logged
DarkGran
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2023, 10:38:40 AM »

Hi!

First of all, the name is pretty discouraging. Tongue But I understand that this is just a prototype.

That being said - interesting concept! I was sceptical at first, but then it turned out to be fun. Kind of a "think fast" thing. Mana capping the top speed. Smiley

I don't have any notes really, except maybe I wasn't very sure what Resource value means. Maybe make the cards clearer, so the attack cards say "damage", healing cards say "heal" etc.

And the illustrations are really nice! The game reminded me of old dungeon crawls too, I wished I could go explore already. Smiley I do hope you keep working on this! I'd like to see where it's going.

Cheers!  Coffee
jbarrios
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2023, 09:23:35 PM »

Hey cards-vs-dungeons,

I tried your demo.

Obviously it's a little light on content.  But what was there is pretty good.  The animations were nice.  And the time mechanic is something I haven't seen in card battlers.

My major complaint is it didn't need a lot of strategy.  The only time I really used my brain was to save area of effect attacks for when the enemies first appeared.  I'd like to see more cards that require thinking.

It's a good start!
cards-vs-dungeons
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2023, 11:51:29 PM »

Thanks! There will be more content soon - the next demo I put out will have 3 character types to choose from and 3 missions Smiley I'm also going to make the other missions significantly harder, and add class-specific booster packs you open as your character levels, so there's more of a choice of character progression within a run
« Last Edit: November 17, 2023, 09:37:32 PM by cards-vs-dungeons » Logged
cards-vs-dungeons
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2023, 09:36:14 PM »

NEW DEMO IS UP!!!
3 heroes, 3 missions, more cards and monsters, class-specific booster packs
and a lot of gamefeel enhancements Smiley

cards-vs-dungeons
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2023, 09:42:58 PM »

A bunch of updates this week!

New progression : find Warp Key cards and play them to advance to the next level, eventually looping around. Smiley
Loot system has been updated to give you variable number of loot cards and you get all of them (instead of a choice)
Lots of FX, transition effect, and sound additions as well as various requesting pieces of polish
Can right-click on cards that don't require targeting to play them instantly
Lemme know what you think!
deathraydreams
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2024, 08:52:26 AM »

Hi. The concept is great. But since it's time based the clarity of what the cards do and what cards are in my hand should way be better at a glance. I've ended up frantically shuffling through my hand when it was full of cards. Maybe limit maximum cards on the hand or try a different layout? Since you're trying something new, it's a tough nut to crack, but I think it's worth it!  Beer!

cards-vs-dungeons
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2024, 12:14:37 AM »

Thanks!

There's a big update up now - I added a Mario 3 / SMW-style world map, with shrines and towns and ambient combat encounters. The game mechanics are updated a lot as well.

cards-vs-dungeons
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2024, 11:06:25 AM »

BIG UPDATE!

TONS of changes added in this new build!!!

Including:

Level-Up screen lets you upgrade stats and skills
Cards scale with character stats
Character classes now have their own skill trees you can upgrade as you level up
Fire and Ice effects on Enemies and on Player's Cards (cards in hand can burn - discard them before they fully burn, or they turn into debris! cards can also freeze - discarding them clears the elemental status)
Lots more enemy types; encounters are rebalanced across the entire game and get stronger as the player does, while maintaining recognizable health levels of each individual enemy type
Gibs! :D
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic