Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411528 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 01:12:46 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsFirst Flight - Sidescrolling Dodge 'em Up
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
Print
Author Topic: First Flight - Sidescrolling Dodge 'em Up  (Read 22219 times)
hyperduck
Level 10

Music and Noises

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2009, 11:56:16 AM »

Do you want it sustained? How long?

sereneworx
Level 10

What a terrific duvet!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2009, 02:08:59 PM »

As long as you can, of course.
Iamthejuggler
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2009, 02:58:16 PM »

I love the look of this. Make sure that he has to pause briefly mid scream to take in a deep breath, before continuing to scream in earnest :D
hyperduck
Level 10

Music and Noises

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2009, 03:54:44 PM »

I have the lungs of a whale. Prepare for excellent screaming.

jkd003
« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2009, 06:57:22 PM »

Wait- so, you are this out of control little guy screaming at the top of his lungs as he travels faster and faster in the air, tearing up the sky in a hilarious manner, and you are supposed to avoid the asteroids?
Perhaps its just the sadistic nature in me coming out, but wouldn't be fun to have objects that you intentionally try to to smash into?

Dodging asteroids while driving yourself into various power ups to keep you going sounds perfect. As long as the power ups explode and shatter in a glorious and noisy manner.

And as a alternative to dodging asteroids at times you could have the player fly INTO a hole in a giant asteroid passing by, narrowing the players area of movement.
hyperduck
Level 10

Music and Noises

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2009, 11:37:17 AM »

I've been toying with this idea all day. My throat is sore, and my brain is swollen. I'm thinking to myself 'as long as possible yes, but how does it sound in the game?'

Is the scream going to be a consistent thing from the moment you begin moving or just at the beginning of each change of speed? If it was like a shocked burst that trails off at the start when you begin moving, that then has a level 2 intensified shocked yelp/scream that trails off, ending with a horrified shocked scream at level 3 of speed, it might be more realistic.. I only say this because after managing to loop a level 1 scream, I realized how annoying a 10 second scream that is looped with a *Deep breath* at the end of each loop,

could be!

Feedback on scream durations and looping, who woulda thunk it.

Iamthejuggler
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 05, 2009, 12:01:57 PM »

Yeah, there is a fine line between it being cute/amusing to being seriously irritating.
Zaphos
« Reply #47 on: August 05, 2009, 12:08:59 PM »

If the screams are to be digitized, you could try modulating the pitch to make music out of the screaming noises ...
John Nesky
Level 10

aka shaktool

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: August 05, 2009, 12:17:00 PM »

If the screams are to be digitized, you could try modulating the pitch to make music out of the screaming noises ...

hyperduck
Level 10

Music and Noises

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: August 05, 2009, 12:34:55 PM »

That is what i tried, I used the cubase studio 5 pitch shifter to shift the voice into a different shape and transpose the pitch. But yes, there would be a line between haha and .. please stop screaming. And that youtube video was switched off in.. 2 seconds, nice!

sereneworx
Level 10

What a terrific duvet!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: August 05, 2009, 02:24:35 PM »

I think a burst of a scream, as you suggested, might work best.
hyperduck
Level 10

Music and Noises

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: August 05, 2009, 03:06:39 PM »

I've mailed 3 screams over to Michael, but yes I am feeling the burst of a scream is the best route to follow. I will be in scream action soon.

KennEH!
Level 10

"What, me worry!?!"

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 05, 2009, 04:42:07 PM »

I hate that thing more every time I hear it.

Madness takes its toll please have exact change.
John Nesky
Level 10

aka shaktool

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: August 05, 2009, 04:47:27 PM »

I hate that thing more every time I hear it.
Yeah, I was trying to say that I thought it was a bad idea. I probably should have added a warning.
Zaphos
« Reply #54 on: August 05, 2009, 05:24:18 PM »

Yeah, sorry, it was a terrible idea.
Quicksand-S
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: August 08, 2009, 12:27:57 PM »

That's a great character design. I love the look of pure terror on his face in the animations. Good color and font choices on the title-screen and I really like the artwork.

Actually, I'd like to see stuff like that in the actual game. You know, grass. Maybe you could make wind as you rush over grass and trees, and if you're going fast enough the wind could rip all the leaves off the trees (or rip the trees out of the ground?). I don't know.

My Old Game: We Want YOU - Join the Fight for Freedom

Twitter - Mostly comments on games, old and new.
sereneworx
Level 10

What a terrific duvet!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: August 10, 2009, 01:07:51 AM »

We're working getting gameplay mechanics down at the moment.
Zaphos
« Reply #57 on: August 10, 2009, 01:17:05 AM »

Looking lovely Kiss

The powerups seem a tad out of place stylistically, perhaps?  not sure though.
JaJitsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: August 10, 2009, 09:45:29 AM »

I think the powerups look fine, but maybe a bit bigger.

Loren Schmidt
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: August 10, 2009, 10:27:58 AM »

Ah, this is looking pretty good! Great colors, Serene. What are the rocks, by the way- are they raster or vector / flat shaded polygons?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic