Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411522 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 06:56:39 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallWhere's the Boat - island survival game
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Where's the Boat - island survival game  (Read 609 times)
Niki
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: November 15, 2023, 05:09:05 AM »

Hi everyone!
I'm new here so I hope it's ok to post what I've been working on with my team in the last few months.
This is the first playable version of the game.

The idea for the game is to make a more detailed/realistic survival experience but still make it fun and not too difficult. The main challenge was to make a game loop that's contained on small islands and avoid the player getting softlocked (and dying a slow death). Since real life islands are full of garbage from all over the world, the game constantly spawns garbage everywhere so you can find things to help you survive. Also I really like simulation games so I try to simulate almost all plant and animal life in the entire world.

Here's the game page: https://ketagames.itch.io/wheres-the-boat

I hope somebody likes it and any feedback is appreciated.
Schrompf
Level 9

C++ professional, game dev sparetime

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2023, 02:20:56 AM »

He, this looks nice! I lack the time to try something right now, but the video sure looks cute. I like the art style with the handdrawn plane elements and their soft shadows. The garbage generation is a fitting idea to keep the player afloat, Raft did a similar thing back then.

Is there some closure planned at the end, or is it OpenEnd island after island until I'd get bored?

Snake World, multiplayer worm eats stuff and grows DevLog
Niki
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2023, 06:12:02 AM »

Hi! Thank you so much for taking a look at it, we really like the style and it was quite difficult to make 2D and 3D elements fit well together but I think it was worth it.
Regarding some sort of ending it's a must for me, the thing I feel is missing in most survival games is an ending to the story. The game is envisioned to be a survival experience where you create your own story with a specific ending depending what happens.
Currently we are working only on the survival aspect but also on some parts of the adventure like hidden treasures and puzzles that move events forward.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic