Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1412104 Posts in 69453 Topics- by 58486 Members - Latest Member: holdamech

June 27, 2024, 05:42:37 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsAero [Multiplayer Physics-based Arena Fighter]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Aero [Multiplayer Physics-based Arena Fighter]  (Read 1228 times)
Koru
Level 0

View Profile
« on: December 18, 2023, 05:15:22 PM »

Aero
A multiplayer arena fighter driven by explosive aerodynamic combat!

In Aero, the players control spherical mech suits that use explosive otherworldly energies to fight in an arena. These suits are equipped with an energy cannon that emits explosive forces. Shooting their cannon both fires a projectile, and knocks them backwards. In this way, the player must use this force to both move around the level, and fire at enemies.

Planned Features
  • Local Multiplayer Modes: Deathmatch (Team and FFA), Aeroball
  • Online Multiplayer Modes: Deathmatch (Team and FFA), Aeroball
  • Singleplayer Modes: The Tower (Roguelike), Target Practice
  • A variety of characters with unique abilities/styles
  • Character customization/unlocks
  • 18 Handcrafted arenas with 6 unique biomes (containing 2 Deathmatch and 1 Aeroball levels per biome)

Game Modes
  • Deathmatch: A classic FFA or Team-based Deathmatch in which players try to rack up as many eliminations as possible in the time limit.
  • Aeroball: A take on soccer reminiscent of games like Rocket League in which you need to bounce an Aeroball into your opponents goal, and rack up as many goals in the time limit as possible.
  • The Tower: A roguelike singleplayer mode that takes you through a gauntlet of different biomes, enemies, and difficult variations until you reach the top of the Tower.
  • Target Practice: A classic target practice mode in the style of Super Smash Bros to try and get all the targets in the fewest moves/shortest time.

Socials
« Last Edit: May 21, 2024, 03:47:21 PM by Koru » Logged
Koru
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2024, 07:04:06 PM »

Things are moving along well with Aero! The Local Multiplayer game modes for Deathmatch and Aeroball are nearing completion, and focus can shift to the creation of more abilities, levels, and the creation of the online versions of these game modes. A video will be posted shortly to show off an example of what you can expect from a basic 1v1 Deathmatch!

In the meantime, here is a preview of the concept of the basic Mech that the player will be piloting.

The core Mech available in Aero, codenamed: MM-22 (Mining Mech 22)

The mech is made up of multiple key pieces that will be represented on every version of the mech! These features are:

• The three energy indicators on the top of the mech. This will be lit up in game and represents the current available energy, and will drain in color as the player uses their energy.
  • The cannon on the right side of the mech in which all abilities and projectiles are shot from
  • The visor just above the cannon that the pilot resides
  • The bottom sliding door/gate that rises to let pilots enter the mech

Other designs are currently being concepted for alternative cosmetics for the mechs, but this is the base form!

Stay tuned for the upcoming video preview of Deathmatch, and further updates on new levels/abilities.

Koru
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2024, 12:02:07 AM »

A gameplay video sneak peak of a 1v1 Deathmatch on one of the Sky Temple levels
« Last Edit: January 23, 2024, 12:25:15 AM by Koru » Logged
Ramos
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2024, 12:36:49 AM »

Nice project but you might want to check Google SEO because "AERO" is very used and you might want to avoid confusion for your fans when searching for your game name

Gentleman

Koru
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2024, 12:51:32 AM »

That is a fair point! My original title was going to be Aero: Space League, but I very much enjoy more simple names. But that is valid that Aero is a very common term and may get lost in the google search space.
Koru
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2024, 05:34:01 PM »

Added a new level, and some destruction mechanics to the environment and player!

The next steps for me are focused on creating more dynamic abilities for characters and modeling new player mechs to pilot. In addition, I am continuing the process of setting up online play.

Abdurrahman
Level 0

Excellent Falafel eater

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2024, 09:27:52 AM »

Hello man! Good luck with your project!
Since we are also making an arena fighter (in a sense), I am interested in seeing how this will develop.

Hey everyone! I am making a competitve party top down shooter. kindly check my devlog:
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=73729.0
Koru
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2024, 02:05:46 PM »

Hello man! Good luck with your project!
Since we are also making an arena fighter (in a sense), I am interested in seeing how this will develop.
Thanks for taking a gander at my project, your arena fighter also looks really interesting! It'll be exciting to see where we both end up with our projects!
Koru
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2024, 02:17:05 PM »

Been a little bit since I posted an update on this blog, but progress is still heavily underway! Currently setting up an online multiplayer system using Unity Game Services, and experimenting with different lobby setups for quickplay and custom lobbies. In addition, I have been working to make the menu system smooth to navigate! Here is a preview of the main menu in motion.

All art is temporary currently.

The next big updates will be on introducing some new mechs/characters, their abilities, and potentially more on the online game mode setups.
mobilelast
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2024, 09:50:52 AM »

Your project sounds intriguing; there are surprisingly few good local multiplayer games nowadays. I’m eager to see how this progresses, perhaps also steal some good ideas for my own arena fighter (feel free to do the same). Once you have a prototype ready, I'd love to give it a try.

Making an online-multiplayer game in Unity has been quite a hassle. While I've relied on Photon in the past, the abundance of alternative frameworks makes it difficult to make a decision. I'm open to hearing any insights you may have on this matter. Additionally, if you're considering releasing the game on Steam, the remote play service they offer could be an ideal fit for this type of game: https://store.steampowered.com/remoteplay.

Avaruustaistelupeli (ATP) - a space combat game
- Free download from itch.io or IndieDB
- Dev diary here
Koru
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2024, 04:20:26 PM »

Your project sounds intriguing; there are surprisingly few good local multiplayer games nowadays. I’m eager to see how this progresses, perhaps also steal some good ideas for my own arena fighter (feel free to do the same). Once you have a prototype ready, I'd love to give it a try.

Making an online-multiplayer game in Unity has been quite a hassle. While I've relied on Photon in the past, the abundance of alternative frameworks makes it difficult to make a decision. I'm open to hearing any insights you may have on this matter. Additionally, if you're considering releasing the game on Steam, the remote play service they offer could be an ideal fit for this type of game: https://store.steampowered.com/remoteplay.

Glad to hear the idea intrigues you! Smiley I plan on having a prototype ready shortly with basic custom lobby connectivity, as well as local play for a couple levels for both the Deathmatch mode and for my Aeroball mode (soccer-esque).

I have been doing lots of research into what services to use for online multiplayer, and I am currently settled on using Unity Game Services for handling matchmaking and player accounts and lobby systems, and then either using their Relay technology, or Photon Fusion for actual server connectivity. I'll be honest, online documentation of a clear route to go down isn't totally clear haha, but I am piecing it together!

I am planning on releasing it on Steam (and hopefully launching a steam page in the next couple of weeks). Remote Play seems like a really interesting feature! I can definitely see that working well with this project.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2024, 05:07:25 PM by Koru » Logged
Koru
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2024, 03:21:41 PM »

I've done a heavy art pass on my existing levels, and created a new biome called the Astari Grove! This new biome is very organic and plant-heavy, and is in a lush forest with dangerous flora such as thorny vines. The new art pass creates a more stylized look compared to the softer look from before, and I think provides a unique art style while also making some elements pop out more which can help in a competitive environment.

Here is a look at the old environment (Sky Temple) and the new environment (Astari Grove) in the new art style.

Astari Grove

Sky Temple

Work continues on the online game mode development, as well as moving further into the character development phase for both art style and game mechanics, which I will be providing an update to shortly!
Bombini
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2024, 10:48:17 PM »

Nice!
Did you consider a level where you leave through an open are on the left and appear on the right for example?

Koru
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2024, 11:31:28 AM »

Nice!
Did you consider a level where you leave through an open are on the left and appear on the right for example?
Do you mean like a portal that takes you from one side to another? Or something different? I do have a spaceship interior biome that has both portals and laser obstacles planned currently! So if so, then yes something of that variety!
Bombini
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2024, 03:11:34 AM »

Yes exactly

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic