Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411502 Posts in 69379 Topics- by 58435 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 30, 2024, 07:00:39 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsHorizons of Achaea
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Horizons of Achaea  (Read 1403 times)
HorizonsOfAchaea
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: December 22, 2023, 07:38:33 PM »

First Post!

I also posted this to the Skies of Arcadia reddit, as well. But we're on the hunt for support, as who knows if a sequel, HD remake, or anything will come. I want nothing more in my life than to see us get some spiritual successor to a game that's had a massive impact on me.

Reddit Link: https://www.reddit.com/r/skiesofarcadia/comments/18kygcf/tired_of_waiting/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

=================================

YouTube Link if you'd rather listen:

=================================

Video games have been a passion in my life for as long as I can remember. From the early days of seeing my older brother play his original NES to getting my first console, the Nintendo 64, and really beginning to appreciate video games with the release of the GameCube.

Skies of Arcadia Legends (specifically since I never owned a Dreamcast) had a profound affect on me as a young lad. This was the first game that truly spoke to me and came at a particular time in my life where the lust for adventure and freedom were really starting to take root into my own personality.

I lived in the middle of Southern Indiana where a mile wide river wrapped around me from the west and south. And 30 miles of dense Hoosier National Forest to my North and East.

The nearest cities were over an hour away.

It was a time before smartphones and Discord.

My world was small and I was getting cabin fever.

I remember picking this game up and it just hit all of the notes. The adventure, the freedom to explore, the mystery about what was around the corner, and the characters' sheer determination to stick to their core values. This was a game unlike anything I had played before. It wasn't gritty and overly serious.

This was what optimism felt like.

I've replayed this game so many times, I've lost count.

And it's never lost that magic.

Now 20+ years later, I'm done waiting for remakes or remasters (although I'd still take one please....SEGA.../Riselem...).

So, today, I'm here to say that we've begun work on an inspired project called:

Horizons of Achaea

There are so many elements of the JRPG that Skies of Arcadia is, that it deserves to have new life breathed into the idea of a sky world and its inhabitants.

Like Stardew Valley is to Harvest Moon, or Sea of Stars was with Chrono Trigger.

We'll be seeking to expand on the elements that made the original Skies so loved and tying in some other elements from various other RPGs that we enjoyed growing up playing.

Sweeping overworld skies to sail through.

A cast of characters that are candid.

An in depth plot that can stand on its own.

And most of all, a sense of adventure that overtook us back on the Dreamcast and then again in the GameCube release.

In the coming months, I'll be posting to our social accounts (some of which we're still creating) wherever I can with updates, challenges, and see what kind of community we can build around this ambitious project.

My goal is to get a demo together by the end of 2024.

This is my first game project and I know, I lofty one. But there is no other game I would rather sink my life into.

We're starting at zero but like Vyse says, "Impossible is just a word to let people feel goo about themselves when they quit."

Here throughout December, we'll be working on some title menu options, logo designs (the one we have up as a placeholder is FOR SURE changing), and getting what we can done on the "Starter Island."

January we'll be moving into designing some of the Starter Island landscapes before moving into some more elements to round out the first couple of hours of the game.

The story is beginning to take shape with the general framework being hammered out.

I'm really excited with story so far and I have a wonderful partner helping me out in that arena.

I really want to get a good trailer out, so stay tuned soon for that. That way people can see the difference between us and something like Sky Ocean.

From there, the real efforts of starting a game studio and development will pick up. And I'll have more updates as we continue along.

I look forward to seeing what the community reception will be.

And what interest we can draw and what output we can achieve.

I'll see you all on the Horizon and thank you.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2024, 08:32:53 AM by HorizonsOfAchaea » Logged
Grammarchist
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2023, 11:24:18 AM »

Just remember, WE ARE THOUSANDS OF FEET IN THE AIR.

KSPC
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2023, 02:05:04 PM »

Seems very interesting, cannot wait!
HorizonsOfAchaea
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2023, 07:48:24 PM »

Seems very interesting, cannot wait!

Thank you! The biggest challenge is going to be raising funds - but we have a plan in place for the first year. So, we'll see if we can get something together well enough to get a publisher willing to throw in with us.
Grammarchist
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2023, 05:50:05 PM »

Good luck, and Seasons Greetings!
kimmyturner
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2023, 04:45:24 PM »

Great to see a project backed by childhood nostalgia!

I'm excited to see how this project grows from the style of Skies of Arcadia!

Happy holidays, and good luck with this wonderful project!

Coffee Coffee Coffee
HorizonsOfAchaea
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2023, 07:22:33 PM »

Great to see a project backed by childhood nostalgia!

I'm excited to see how this project grows from the style of Skies of Arcadia!

Happy holidays, and good luck with this wonderful project!

Coffee Coffee Coffee

Thank you! It's going to be a long road - but one we want to see through at all costs.
robotbard
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2023, 08:06:33 AM »

Skies of Arcadia is one of my favorite games of all time, so I'll be following this closely! What engine are you building in?
HorizonsOfAchaea
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2023, 06:51:41 PM »

Skies of Arcadia is one of my favorite games of all time, so I'll be following this closely! What engine are you building in?

Thank you! We are utilizing Unreal Engine. We're hoping to have another dev update video on YT, the week of the 8th. Learning a lot so far, haha!
HorizonsOfAchaea
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2024, 06:39:07 PM »

Good evening, sailors!

Finally, we have our first official logo. And it actually feels like this whole game development journey is a bit more real now with this small, but important milestone completed. It feels like we've got to the edge of our home town where the proverbial "come back and visit soon" resides.

Alas, enjoy, as our Patreon supporters are the first to see it outside of our development group.

It was an interesting road when one starts to consider what goes into a logo.

Does it look like anything else out in the world?
Does the logo convey our message?
Can the font be used commercially or is it copyrighted?
What do we need to pay the artist?
As our story writing and game mechanics progress, it will be interesting to see if we still believe this "fits" the game but so far, all of us are pretty stoked with this design.

Over the next couple of weeks, we will be updating our social media and various websites with this image.

For now, our attention (graphically) will be turning to character concepts and getting some of our protagonists designs hammered out.

Keep your eyes on the Horizons!
HorizonsOfAchaea
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2024, 08:35:57 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/embed/qyy4dTTceI4?si=0720eHxsdB85UUnt

We’re ready to show off our first set of concept art for Horizons of Achaea!

I couldn’t be more pleased with how this turned out and I’m not going to keep you all waiting.

This is one of protagonists; Zei

“Growing up on Pirate’s Cove, Zei has always maintained a carefree attitude while still being able to adhere to his father’s strict orders when aboard the Cormorant. Zei dreams of one day commanding a ship, a crew to sail with, and an island to call his own.”

“And with his Grandfather’s sword at his side, Zei wants to do his best to uphold the creed of the air pirate and never let those he loves succumb to chains or tyranny.”

The design evokes tradition but I believe it is a win for us in setting up that unique voice that will accompany the game.

Horizons of Achaea is taking shape both in design and story.

And over the next couple of weeks we are hoping to get our next character design out into the world for you all to see.

Of course, if you're a Patreon member you will get first looks at anything we’re dreaming up.

Patreon.com

And guys, I’m not going to lie - making Horizons of Achaea come to life will be completely dictated by our ability to garner community support.

I don’t want to half-a$$ this game, because I don’t believe you all deserve a cash grab.

So, if you’re like me and want to see this JRPG and studio come to life, consider supporting our start up.

Even sharing, retweeting, getting the word out there that we are trying to bring this to market will be a major help!

And for those who are already supporting us, we THANK you because it is making it possible to even have a game plan for moving forward.
HorizonsOfAchaea
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2024, 12:55:49 PM »

I really want to continue to say THANK you to our supporters out there, because it is making it possible to even have a game plan for moving forward.

We are definitely working to make the best JRPG we can that evokes the memory of these games we’ve taken inspiration from.

And if you’re someone that’s been considering supporting our start up, it’ll be because of you all, that we can make this a reality.

Even sharing, retweeting, getting the word out there that we are trying to bring this to market will be a major help!

Now… Once again, I couldn’t be more pleased with how this next character turned out and I’m not going to keep you all waiting.

This our 2nd protagonist; Kaia

“Another native of the island, Pirate's Cove, Kaia has been going on adventures with Zei since the two could walk (and some say as soon as they could crawl). Like any other aspiring sailor, Kaia also trains her skills on the Cormorant under the command of Captain Valen.”

“Imbued with a talent for memorizing spells, she quickly has proven her standing as a member of the island. She, too, has the determination to do the most good in the world and protect the ones she holds most dear.”

Like our previous hero, Kaia’s design ties tradition to present and already we can see her unique voice coming to life.

Speaking of… should we include voice acting in this game? Let me know what you think in the comments below.

Horizons of Achaea continues to take shape both in design and story.

And over the next couple of weeks we are hoping to get our first two characters converted to 3D models in order to insert into our alpha builds of the game.

I cannot WAIT to show these off and continue down this path.

Make sure to subscribe to our various social media outlets in order to get up to date information on our development cycle. And thank you for continuing to tune in!

Until next time, I’ll see you all on the Horizon!
Son of Bryce
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2024, 05:03:42 PM »

I love how you're doing the devlogs! Looking forward to seeing more!

HorizonsOfAchaea
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2024, 06:22:29 PM »

First Major Hurdle

Oh my and this has been a fun one. So, going into each portion of this game build, I've approached it with a degree of caution. This is my first game ever attempting to build. There are many properties that go into creating a complete piece of a work that is both an artistic vision and technical masterpiece. None of which you wake up one morning and be like "I'm going to create a game, execute x, y, and z...." and BOOM it appears.

My first challenge I'm referring to is the 3D modeling. I'm going to have to go back to the drawing board on our character Zei. As the 3D artist and I were unable to come to a unified understanding. And it perhaps was my inability to appropriately communicate.

As a surge of ideas and visions come into my brain, I'm going to have to get better at portraying those thoughts into clear words and instructions in order for the work to come out as I'm needing it to.

But the work presses on. I do believe 3D modeling is going into April's 'to-do' list as other things are needing to move forward.

What are those things you may ask?

Well, as of Friday, I'm working with my other artist (concept artist for Zei and Kaia so far) on sketching up the first ship the game will introduce the player to, the Cormorant.

The Cormorant is Captain Valen's ship. Captain Valen, if you remember, is Zei's father. It is the ship that Zei and Kaia have been cutting their teeth on. And, right now, is a candidate for the first "level."

The Cormorant development stages will be as follows:

Concept Art  (March 2024)
Level Design  (April 2024)
3D Modeling + Integration into First Trailer (May - June 2024)

Stay tuned, THANK you for the support, and as always, I'll see you on the Horizon!
HorizonsOfAchaea
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2024, 05:50:18 AM »

In case you want to listen versus read :-)

Oh my and this has been a fun one. So, going into each portion of this game build, I've approached it with a degree of caution. This is my first game ever attempting to build. There are many properties that go into creating a complete piece of a work that is both an artistic vision and technical masterpiece. None of which you wake up one morning and be like "I'm going to create a game, execute x, y, and z...." and BOOM it appears.

My first challenge I'm referring to is the 3D modeling. I'm going to have to go back to the drawing board on our character Zei. As the 3D artist and I were unable to come to a unified understanding. And it perhaps was my inability to appropriately communicate.

As a surge of ideas and visions come into my brain, I'm going to have to get better at portraying those thoughts into clear words and instructions in order for the work to come out as I'm needing it to.

But the work presses on. I do believe 3D modeling is going into April's 'to-do' list as other things are needing to move forward.

What are those things you may ask?

Well, as of Friday, I'm working with my other artist (concept artist for Zei and Kaia so far) on sketching up the first ship the game will introduce the player to, the Cormorant.

The Cormorant is Captain Valen's ship. Captain Valen, if you remember, is Zei's father. It is the ship that Zei and Kaia have been cutting their teeth on. And, right now, is a candidate for the first "level."

The Cormorant development stages will be as follows:

Concept Art  (March 2024)
Level Design  (April 2024)
3D Modeling + Integration into First Trailer (May - June 2024)

Stay tuned and THANK you for the support.
HorizonsOfAchaea
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2024, 04:56:31 PM »

Welcome back! I hope you all are having a great time going into the weekend, getting to relax, maybe playing some video games, because....

You deserve it.

Video Link:

So, some exciting news, we have our finalized art for the first airship the player comes across in Horizons of Achaea.

This ship belongs to your dad, Captain Valen.

I was, at first, mocking up a big ornate ship. A big 18th century war vessel or something like the Black Pearl from Pirates of the Caribbean. But ended up rethinking that and creating something a little more humble and a little more nimble.

The Cormorant has been with the island’s people for a long time, and the aim in this game will be to have the airships have just as much personality as the cast of characters we meet along the way.

This sleek and agile vessel serves the air pirates in their missions and assists in bringing their home island the much needed bounties to survive.

Let me know what you think of this design in the comments below.

And also, what do you think about ship customization? As I’m dreaming about my perfect RPG and elements I wish could’ve been expanded upon in past games. And doing more with these ships seems like a natural progression.

I really want to continue to say THANK you to our supporters out there, because it is making it possible to continue moving forward.

We are definitely working to make the best JRPG we can that evokes the memory of these games we’ve taken inspiration from like Skies of Arcadia and Dragon Quest.

And if you’re someone that’s been considering supporting our start up. Links are in the description below. It’ll be because of you all, that we can make this a reality.

Until next time, I’ll see you all on the Horizon!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic