Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411951 Posts in 69435 Topics- by 58482 Members - Latest Member: Maiu

June 12, 2024, 05:56:49 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsAcademic Dishonesty: An Action RPG in a School Environment
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Academic Dishonesty: An Action RPG in a School Environment  (Read 1160 times)
kimmyturner
Level 0

View Profile
« on: January 03, 2024, 06:11:07 PM »

Hello everyone! Today, I'm very excited to announce the start of a Devlog for Academic Dishonesty, an action RPG taking place between two rival schools and a very corrupt town.

The aim of this game is to provide an up-to-date experience of being in high school (friends, social tensions, and everything else in between), and capture the nostalgic feeling of exploring neighborhoods and riding around town with your friends, all while engaging in some fighting for vigilante justice.

Story
Tensions are high in the town of Little Cap as the state championship football game is set to take place between Little Cap High School and REACH Academy, the private academy that has dominated football throughout the town's history. This year, however, Little Cap High School may have the players to challenge REACH Academy. Game day arrives and the two teams are neck and neck. Just as things are looking up for the Little Cap Tigers, a series of controversial calls by the referees, along with the mysterious deterioration in health of the Tigers' star quarterback, have instantly eliminated any chance of a Tiger victory. Arguments break out between students from both schools, and before anyone knows it, a punch is thrown in the stands. The Little Cap Police come in to break the fights, but only seem to add to the chaos by detaining everyone by any means necessary.

You as the player must escape the chaos of the football stadium and reveal the truth of that fated game to save the records of you and all of your peers at Little Cap High School.

Where We're Starting
Right now, I have a few self-made 16x16 2D images for the overworld (neighborhood), player animations, a dialogue system, and a prototype of the game. I also have a few snippets for songs I made via Garageband (FL Studio is expensive and I'm deciding when to pay up for an account). I also have a rough outline of the context, beginning, and end of the story as well as a few concept arts of the player and one of his high school friends.

Completed
  • Dodge system (Completed)
  • Combo system (Completed)
  • Physics-based objects (sitting on the backburner for now)

Plans for the Future
Eventually, I plan to have a working dodge/counter system, multiple different combat combos the player can use, throwable firecrackers (done), a bike that the player can ride that will plow into enemies, have its own acceleration, deceleration, and crash system, a ground fighting system (wrestling, etc.), possibly a fast travel via picking a ride with your friends, and an overworld map with many uncovered secrets.

Thank you for listening to my game idea, and I hope everyone is having a great summer!
« Last Edit: June 03, 2024, 11:57:52 AM by kimmyturner » Logged
kimmyturner
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2024, 12:57:56 PM »

Hi guys, sorry for the long wait! Here is some alpha footage for Academic Dishonesty.

https://youtu.be/_YXOpGSZynI?si=xhYNN3F-MlZMQUsv

Note: The football players are seen combusting into blood in the video. This will be replaced in the final version of the game. No one will die in the final version of the game (maybe).

So far in the footage, the player's blocking and dodge state have been added as well as some basic enemy AI for football players. Fleshing out the world and adding more buildings/NPCs/rooms will become a bigger priority. I still have plans for creating player and enemy states where they get knocked down to the floor and can get pummeled from there. I also have been thinking about adding the ability for the player (and maybe enemies by extension) to vault over fences.

I have also been working a decent amount on the music for this game, so I may upload some OSTs to the Youtube channel as well.

I'm looking forward to providing you guys another status update in the future!

~Lucas aka Kimmyturner
« Last Edit: January 29, 2024, 01:03:19 PM by kimmyturner » Logged
Jay Margalus
Level 0

designer and developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2024, 06:24:44 PM »

Hey Lucas! This is a great start. I like the screenshake feedback in your combat. Vlambeer has a pretty cool video about game feel that would be good to check out as you begin to add more elements like that.

Would love to hear some of the music and SFX you're working on.

This is my first post back on TIG after a long many-years hiatus, so apologies for the unpolished nature of my feedback.

Former co-owner of Lunar Giant Studios (game company), former gamedev faculty at DePaul University. Now: Teaching entrepreneurship and design at Washington & Lee. On Twitter @jaymargalus.
kimmyturner
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2024, 06:18:53 PM »

Thank you for the feedback and the video from Vlambeer about game feel! I'll be sure to take a look at that video to see how I can give Academic Dishonesty some more oomph!

I will also try posting some of the songs I have to the Academic Dishonesty Youtube channel and linking them here.

I appreciate the feedback very much!  Coffee Coffee Coffee
kimmyturner
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2024, 08:04:31 PM »

Hey guys!

I don't know if this has been showcased yet, but the player can vault over fences (and many more objects in the future)!

Also, work for the football stadium has currently started!

One last thing: Here's a piece of music I've been making for Academic Dishonesty! Let me know your thoughts and what tweaks can be made. (This song is not officially finished yet).

Sorry that there's much to update about! School's still in session, but I hope to be having a little more free time soon.

~Lucas
kimmyturner
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2024, 07:00:10 PM »

Hey guys! I finally get a week-long break for school! Sorry about breaking the weekly post! I've made some improvements to Academic Dishonesty in the meanwhile!

For starters, there's now VFX for the player running, the landing after jumping the fence, and for the impact when the player punches things. Additionally, I've added physics based objects (the crates). For now, these objects don't deal damage yet, but I plan on fixing that real soon.

I've also put in a 3 punch combo for the player!

Here's the vault VFX in action! (I apologize for the grainy gif video.)

And finally, the punch VFX!

Here's a youtube video of all the changes in action.

I apologize for skipping a week, and I hope to be making some significant progress on the enemy AI, player attack lunge, and other things like UI.

Till next time,

~Lucas
« Last Edit: June 03, 2024, 12:06:57 PM by kimmyturner » Logged
kimmyturner
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2024, 09:12:28 AM »

Hey guys!

Sorry to miss a week (again), I indeed worked on Academic Dishonesty over my one week break, and I was able to rework the combat system to an extent!

I reworked the football players so that they shuffle around and chase the player up to a certain distance before they start getting ready to tackle the player. There's also some backhand changes that I made so that football players can only hurt the player during a charge tackle. Hopefully this is a good idea, but I'd like to hear what you guys think.

I also reworked the player's attack so that the momentum of the player's lunge is dependent on the player's speed before punching. I've also animated the player attacks to give a better game feel.

Currently, I have made the tileset for the football stadium completely as well as Little Cap High School to some extent. I'm currently planning the logistics of implementing bigger tilesets in the game, so hopefully I can show you guys a new and significant area to the game the next time I post.

I apologize again for posting so late, and hopefully the next time I post, the weather will be much warmer.

Cheers,

~Lucas
« Last Edit: June 03, 2024, 12:04:42 PM by kimmyturner » Logged
kimmyturner
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2024, 12:28:52 PM »

Hey guys! Happy summer, and sorry for the long delay!

A lot has been added to Academic Dishonesty since the last time I posted (I hope). First, we now have a basis for ingame cutscenes to be added to gameplay. Take a look!

There's also a shop and inventory system now! I still need to work on making the interior of Dubla, the grocery store, but the functionality is pretty much there! (Except the player being able to recover more HP than they have)

I've also juiced up the combat with a "Tumble and Pummel" system where you can knock opponents on the ground (and you can also be knocked down) and pummel any fallen opponents.

Finally, Workshire Hills (the neighborhood) has been revamped, and Little Cap High School's football stadium is in the game. I take pride in finding out how to program the depth sorting, so I'd like to show you guys what I have right now. The only possible issue I can think of is things on different layers interacting with each other when they're not supposed to.

This is all for now! I hope you guys have a great summer, and hopefully I can add a lot to Academic Dishonesty while I have some free time.

Cheers,

Lucas
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic