Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411522 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 07:19:00 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallRescue: The Beagles - finally coming to Steam (beta available for testing)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Rescue: The Beagles - finally coming to Steam (beta available for testing)  (Read 420 times)
nenad
Level 1

View Profile
« on: January 23, 2024, 07:40:06 PM »

Hello,

To whom it may (still) concern. A "remastered" version of Rescue: The Beagles will be released on Steam. It was long long overdue but better late than never Smiley

Some of you may remember the original game. It won the procedural generation competition on this very site back in... I think it was 2008. The thread may still be there.

I just launched the Steam playtest. If you're willing to test it out, just click Request Access on the Steam page. I'd greatly appreciate the feedback of people from this forum. Thanks!

A couple of screenshots below:

ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2024, 05:28:52 AM »

Oh hey, I remember playing this game! New version looks great, good work.

nenad
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2024, 09:34:47 AM »

Oh hey, I remember playing this game! New version looks great, good work.

Thanks! I'm glad you remember the game. Feel free to give beta a go. The improvements are mostly visual but there are some on the gameplay side. The game now has local 2 player Co-op and PvP modes. Here's the list of notable improvements:

Visual Improvements:
  • Complete visual overhaul. Most of the graphics were reworked
  • Terrain contour corner rounding for smoother gliding over terrain
  • All sprites puffed up in size as much as possible without changing the spatial relations and movement/scrolling speeds from the original game. The play rhythm is the same.
  • New color palette generator. Palettes are now much more vivid and varied while having better contrast between layers.
  • Bigger vegetation graphics
  • Clouds
  • Snow and rain levels
  • Particle effects (explosions, pickups, snow, rain...)
  • New splash screen illustration (I love Annabelle Kennedy's artwork but couldn't reach her to get the permission to use it)

Gameplay improvements:
  • Local 2-player Co-op and Pvp modes
  • "Bomb" mechanic (goji berries) granting temporary invincibility and instant enemy kills.
  • Simple skill system with 6 upgradable passive skills. One skill point can be spent for an upgrade after finishing each level.
  • Water as an obstacle and falling cushion on some levels.
  • Redefinable keyboard controls
  • Full Controller support
  • Many bug fixes, especially movement/controls and terrain generation related bugs

Steam version additions:
  • 40 achievements
  • Leaderboards

« Last Edit: January 24, 2024, 09:41:01 AM by nenad » Logged
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic