Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411523 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 02:17:30 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingEnalim: isometric retro rpg
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Enalim: isometric retro rpg  (Read 918 times)
uzudil
Level 0

View Profile
« on: January 31, 2024, 03:15:40 PM »

Hi all,

I'm looking for playtesters for my game Enalim. If you enjoyed playing 90s PC rpg-s like Ultima, Wizardry, etc. you might like this one too.

The game is built for desktop OS-s, I have windows and mac executables building nightly (linux is possible, let me know.)

The game is in the alpha stage of development. It's technically complete but there are lots of rough edges and many side-quests/areas are not finished yet.

I'm looking for feedback on:
- the story: is it engaging? What would you change, etc. (I'm sure there are many things misspelled...)
- the graphics/game style: I'm going for that 90s esthetic... What do you think?
- the music/sound: too much? Not enough?
- any problems/issues running the game (or praise if it works!)

You can download the nightly build here:
https://uzudil.itch.io/enalim

If there is interest I can do a devlog topic on the code/tools (the plan is to open source it after completion).

I appreciate the feedback, thanks!
--U

« Last Edit: February 21, 2024, 05:17:47 PM by uzudil » Logged
Naeval2
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2024, 12:59:33 AM »

Count with my sword Smiley
jbarrios
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2024, 09:25:01 AM »

Hey uzudil,

I played your game.

I like the retro Ultima style.

I like that there are tons of items to pick up that have little use.  It makes the world feel lived in.

You may consider adding a combat encounter earlier to help hook the player.

Overall nice job.
uzudil
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2024, 04:10:10 PM »

Good idea and thanks for the feedback! Maybe I'll add some combat on the initial island area.

Thanks,
--U
Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2024, 01:31:32 AM »

If I may, let me request a Linux version!

I'm interested in trying out the game--but, well, I primarily use Ubuntu Linux!

uzudil
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2024, 03:36:12 PM »

I built the game on Ubuntu 22.04 (running in a vm on my mac) and the title screen works but after that I just get a black screen.  Facepalm

This distro has OpenGL 4.5 (according to glxinfo) which is more than enough to run the game.

See if it works for you: https://we.tl/t-PWcnsFh8S6
(link will expire at some point)
uzudil
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2024, 05:19:13 PM »

The daily builds now also produce a linux binary (built on Ubuntu 22.04) which is uploaded to itch.io:
https://uzudil.itch.io/enalim

Thanks,
-U
Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2024, 02:25:28 AM »

I'll download the itch version and hopefully try it out tonight, I intend! ^_^

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2024, 12:22:11 PM »

Okay, so I've tried out the Linux version, and have a few thoughts:

First of all, the visuals are almost painfully Ultima VII. Whether this is a good or bad thing is a matter of personal preference, of course.

I will say, I'm not sure that I'm a fan of having even background elements be outlined--it makes it that much harder to pick out what's actually important, as well as introducing superfluous noise to the scene, I feel.

Otherwise in visual matters, I'm not sure of how far along you are there, and thus whether you're looking for more feedback on that sort of thing. Would you like more thoughts there, or would they be premature at this point in development?

In terms of gameplay, the basics seem to work well enough.

Buuuut... I'll confess that I'm stuck. And quite early on, as well!

So, I've reached the second island, and have ventured through the caves and talked with the monks. So far so good!

I wasn't able to defeat more than a few rats--the knife that I found didn't seem to do much damage, and I don't seem to have many hitpoints--but I slipped by them. (I think that I was hoping for a better weapon to be found.)

But then I was given a key by the monks, opened a door--and was killed by green creatures.

Now, I am aware of the spell that I was given!

... I just can't seem to get it to work.

It seems that if I click on it to select it, I can potentially then click on something in the world--but so far I've found no valid targets; every attempt has been met with a "no entry" cursor. I somewhat expected to use it on myself--but I can't seem to click on myself without instead opening the character screen (I think that it is).

There are some icons below the spell's entry, which I thought might indicate reagents--but I haven't managed to decipher them.

I feel like I'm missing something--but I don't know what it is. :/

So, would you tell me please: where am I going wrong?

I'm interested to try out more of the game, but without a means to progress that's proving troublesome!

uzudil
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2024, 08:10:21 PM »

First, thank you for the detailed reply! Yeah it looks like Ultima VII... it's something I have to get out of my system, I guess.  Cheesy

For the spell trouble:
- equip the spellbook
- press M to select a spell (this is optional since you only have 1 spell at first)
- use it like a weapon: stand near the enemy and press Y

I'm currently working on adding gamepad/controller support and redoing the UI so hopefully magic use will be more intuitive in the future. I hope with this you can get past the initial section of the game and make it to Trinest where you can gain a party member.  Grin

Oh also, one of the monks offers free healing... you can keep going back and get healed between rounds of combat.

If you're interested in more playtesting or even contributing to the game, send me an email at hunhm1 at gmail.

I'm glad the game works on Linux! The engine is written in go (which can compile to linux) but it does rely on native libraries for sound and graphics.

Thanks!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic