Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411527 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58432 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 09:57:10 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingLooking for feedback on my 2d dungeon crawler
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Looking for feedback on my 2d dungeon crawler  (Read 814 times)
Rgreen42
Level 0

View Profile
« on: February 01, 2024, 03:18:11 PM »

Making a 2d dungeon crawler rpg in unity and looking for feedback.

https://rgreen.itch.io/procedural-rpg-dungeon-crawler

New update...

Patch Notes [Version 1.1.0]

→ Added new melee skill: Heroic Leap.

​→ fixed a bug that prevented AI restriction of skills based on skill requirements, now bow characters will no longer use melee skills.

→ Added buff window to partymembers to show what buffs they currently have.

→ Overhauled coded for item drops on ground, should significantly improve performance when there are alot of item drops on screen, also added a timer so they despawn after 5min.

→ Overhauled item generation code, now items of higher tier will always be better then items of lower tier, quality plays a bigger role as well and is restriced by tier.

→ party members are no longer lost upon death, their profile is stored and restored upon respawning giving them persistence throughout the game.

→ added a profile button to partymember screen that will allow you to spend their attribute points and change their equipment, adding the personalization of partymembers.

→ fixed a bug that caused revive points to remain even after the player respawned.

item quality no longer effects bow cooldown and range, it was resulting in bow enemies having drastically erratic differences in difficulty.

→ added map patrols that travel between rooms, my pathfinding AI is custom made from scratch so its not 100% perfect, still a WIP.
Previously you couldn't pull monsters out of a room because your partymembers would always attack so I added an interface to control your partymembers, now you have more control over them.

Known Bugs

→ Destructable crates will sometimes spawn outside of dungeon map, do not know why. I am currently working on a fix.

→ Very rarely party members will rebuff themselves when their buff timer is up even though they already have the buff resulting in double-buffs.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2024, 12:01:33 AM by Rgreen42 » Logged
giantenemycrab
Level 0

ape.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2024, 10:40:38 AM »

Played it just now - suprisingly good??

ended up playing for way longer than I meant to, the inventory system is impressive asf and the game feels pretty deep - I'm sure there's a bunch of things I missed (e.g the skill system, took a brief look at it) if you slapped an artstyle and some game feel on this project it would basically be a complete steam game

the first room was incredibly hard for me, might just be my intense skill issue, although it would've been nice to be guaranteed some easy 1-hit enemies for the first couple of rooms while I tried to get to grips with combat - the rooms were maybe also a bit too big? idk it might just be because there isn't any set dressing to give you a sense of where you are, better than having the rooms be too small at least
Rgreen42
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2024, 07:15:33 PM »

Thanks for the feedback,appreciate you taking the time to try it out and reply. I agree rooms feel too big at the moment, only been working on mechanics so far the only thing I have to fill up space at the moment is the destructible crate, will Def. Work on it asap; same for difficultly.

Right now I just have it adjusting the enemies stats by giving it a multiplier for size and how many bodyparts. I Think to offset that I may just make the player stronger, right now they both use the same level and Stat system but the player has no multiplier.
Rgreen42
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2024, 09:55:53 PM »

Added a new update! Some balancing and a help window for controls.

https://rgreen.itch.io/procedural-rpg-dungeon-crawler/devlog/676504/update-105-balancing

Update - 1.0.5 - Balancing

Changes

- Player starting statistics increased to lower initial difficulty level and enemy generation changed to not always produce the highest difficulty version of the monster.

- Rank system for enemy difficulty: difficulty levels are normal, elite, boss, & legendary. level of difficulty has 4 ranks; each rank representing how close they are to the next difficulty level. At rank 5 they progress to the next level so a normal rank 5 becomes an elite rank 1 and so on. Legendary is an extremely rare spawn and will possess a challenge much greater than the average boss and these can spawn in place of regular enemies so be aware they are considered kind of like unique encounters. Right now there are no rewards for killing one aside from massive experience points but I will add that in later.

- Dungeon Generates with 10 rooms now and boss room is placed at furthest location from starting point.

- Target window updated to reflect changes to difficulty ranking system.

- Added a help window for controls which can be accessed by clicking the Controls button on the bottom left corner of screen.

- Quests will show a green line indicating completed for 30 seconds then be taken off the quest list as to not clog it with completed quests.
giantenemycrab
Level 0

ape.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2024, 08:52:26 AM »

Played the updated build, definately felt the changes (got a lot of futher than last time, and got there a lot faster)

Still brutally hard, but it doesn't feel unfair, it just feels like I'm picking up in the middle of someone elses playthrough where the difficulty curve has already spiked.

Melee combat is still impossible for me, might just be a skill-issue on my part though, but I only managed to kill one enemy with melee - and to achieve that it took spamming health potions and healing buffs as I valiantly charged into his arrows, reminiscent of a World War I cavalry charge on a machine gun nest

Ranged enemies might still need a nerf, lower fire rates, MUCH lower health, and maybe either a) a dodgeroll/dash move or b) hard cover in rooms with ranged enemies to give me some method of evading their fire. That said, as a later game enemy the current ranged enemies are perfect, on one playthrough I got ambushed by a melee enemy and a ranged enemy and the combination of trying to deal with the weaker melee enemy who was right in my face while getting strafed by arrows from off screen made for one hell of a duel. Good stuff as always.

Also: if you need any assets for the game, give me a shout! I'm pretty versed in pixel art, especially for game sprites, and I'd love to help you with dungeon crawler project in any way pos
Rgreen42
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2024, 06:19:06 PM »

Thanks for trying new build. Things might get easier soon, I am currently redoing my entire inventory System to make way for completely procedurally generated items, even adding armor that shows up on your character. Items are combined like the monsters, by parts. For example a blade combines sprites of a Pommel, Grip, CrossGuard, RainGuard, and blade, and gives them all their own colors and stats. Right now I only have 1 prefab for each of them but Im trying to make it so I can just add more images and the weapon variety will vary dramatically, same with armor.

Making the first armor set, The Spectre set. Its suppose to look like a ghostly spectre but my drawing skills in pixel-art are lacking, heh. Image below.

I could always use some help with Icons, for example you notice my skill Icons are horrible, lol. My skill Icons are 50x50 png sprites. Also I'm guessing you haven't made it to the boss room yet, if you get there let me know your impressions on it. Im not surprised melee is rough still, the only skills I have in the game are 2 heals and a few buffs. Once I get some melee based attack skills I'm hoping it becomes easier, if not I will probably rework it then.

Edit: Forgot to mention I am working on this badboy, weapon Effects and visible auras...

« Last Edit: February 04, 2024, 06:40:24 PM by Rgreen42 » Logged
Rgreen42
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2024, 09:49:54 AM »

Update - 1.0.6 - Lots of Stuff!

Changes:

- Redid weapon generation system, now combined by various parts similiar to monsters.

- Added two-handed blade weapon, Greatsword.

- Reduced the amount of damage you gain when equipping an offhand dual wield melee weapon, the offhand weapon only gives half of its attack power, dual wielding was too strong with the addition of skills.

- Added a weapon quality system, weapon quality effects various statistics of a weapon including damage min/max cd and range.

- Nerfed bows, bow CD was 0.2 now the maximum is 0.3 with CD increasing depending on quality of bow.

- 2 new melee attack skills added: Boomerang blade & Blooming Death.

- Armor added to the game, Added a generic set that doesn't show when equipped (will change this later) and The Spectre set that shows upon equipping, set armor has better stats then generic.

- Added currency system gold, when an enemy is killed it drops its gold and it flies over to you to be added to your inventory gold count.

- Skill leveling up now implemented, every time you use a skill you gain 'Xp += (Cooldown / 30f)' so skills with fast cooldowns don't get much xp per use but skills with long CDs get a lot, when a skill levels up it gains a 10% boost so by Lv10 skills will be 100% more powerful.

- Updated skill tooltip to reflect added requirements to use certain skills.

- Doubled the size of the expanded minimap when hitting TAB to show a wider field of view of the map to prevent getting lost and fixed positioning of enemy indicators on it, they are now perfectly accurate.
Rgreen42
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2024, 11:29:06 AM »

New party system added among other things, check it out.

https://rgreen.itch.io/procedural-rpg-dungeon-crawler

Major Update - 1.0.7

- Added a Title Screen.

- Added a Character Creation Screen.

- Started work on a Central Hub area where player will be able to buy/sell/get quests in-between dungeons (only has 1 npc inside a building so far that will teleport you to dungeon).

- You can now get rid of items by dragging them from inventory and dropping them on the ground.

- Added comparison tooltips so you don't have to constantly open equipment window to see if what you are wearing is better.

- Equipment window and character status window combined together into one window: Character Overview.

- Fixed a bug where closing inventory with hotkey while mousing over an item would make tooltips remain active.

- Semi-fixed a bug with boomerang blade (don't know how to reproduce so cant 100% fix yet). It will no longer mess up equip graphic when it comes back when bug occurs.

- HP regen now works properly.

- Added item effects: Health%, HpRegen%, MpRegen%, Strength%, Endurance%, Agility%, Luck%, Intelligence%, Wisdom%, Defense%.

- Added item rarity on top of item quality, Now items can also be: Normal, Uncommon, Rare, Heroic, Mythic, or Legendary.

- Added level requirements to items of a higher level than player.

- NPCs now have a 30% chance for each slot to get equipment per spawn, and a 50% chance per item they have to drop it upon death.

- Attributes no longer increase upon leveling up, instead you gain Attribute Points which you can now spend to raise whichever attribute you want.

- Defense calculation rebalancing, Damage Reduction stat removed.

- Now that there are multiple zones I added a fade in/out sequence as well as a title pop-up indicating the zone you are entering.

- Enemies in Dungeon can vary in level now, being up to 5 levels higher than the current dungeon Level.

- Reworked the way stats are calculated for ranks on enemies, now higher ranks are rarer but they will be much stronger when encountered. Example: An elite (rank 1) is 2x stronger than a normal (rank 4) and a Boss (rank 1) is 2x stronger than a elite (rank 4) etc.

- Restricted attacking and using offensive skills in the Central Hub area.

- Increased XP required to reach Level 2 from 30 to 50, leveling up was too easy.

- Add party system and party window, since it is still a WIP you can currently add/remove/reroll your party members freely to test it out.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic