Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411525 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 06:27:28 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsIndie BrawlIndie Brawl: Omega Darn Stage
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Indie Brawl: Omega Darn Stage  (Read 10737 times)
Plasticware
Level 1

View Profile
« on: July 31, 2009, 05:02:27 PM »

So I posted a rough concept in the Stage Design thread for an Omega Darn stage, and I've been working on and off on it some more. So far, I'm pretty much finished with Omega Darn's head in the background.

Next up: platforms. Here's my original post in the Stage Design thread if you want to see my concept for the finished stage.

If anyone has any crits or suggestions along the way, post away!
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 05:35:19 PM »

Looks good. I'd make the sprite just a little higher though, so it can move around a bit in the background.  Hand Thumbs Up Left Tiger

Winterous
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 09:08:19 PM »

Wow, that looks great man!
Love the highlights.

What's it from though?
I'm guessing Nuato love (or whatever it's called)
battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2009, 05:24:46 AM »

Wow, that looks great man!
Love the highlights.

What's it from though?
I'm guessing Nuato love (or whatever it's called)
Noitu Love 2, yes.
Dailyman
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2009, 12:38:58 PM »

Personally, I think it would be a good idea to make all the highlights the same color. But besides that this is really fantastic. Good job lad Gentleman
hyperduck
Level 10

Music and Noises

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 03:00:38 AM »

Not that my opinion is as high regarded with this stuff, but surely some type of twilight backdrop or mountains and valleys in the background, just something to replace the plain purple canvas would be cool.

Plasticware
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2009, 05:13:51 AM »

Not that my opinion is as high regarded with this stuff, but surely some type of twilight backdrop or mountains and valleys in the background, just something to replace the plain purple canvas would be cool.
Actually, the first post just shows Omega Darn's head, which is going to be separate so he can move around in the background. The original post in the Stage Design thread shows a more complete mockup, with some sort of dilapidated stadium as a backdrop. I probably should have made that clearer.

And yeah, Soulliard, I'm working on expanding that sprite right now.
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2009, 06:46:29 AM »

This is looking totally rad! I'm glad that we're having some progress with stages because in fact, though there is plenty of work to be done on characters, it seems to me that it's the stages we're in need of most.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 07:21:00 AM by William Broom » Logged

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2009, 11:27:01 AM »

This is looking totally rad! I'm glad that we're having some progress with stages because in fact, though there is plenty of work to be done on characters, it seems to me that it's the stages we're in need of most.

Yeah, having a few more stages to test out (balancing and the like) would be useful for testing the characters too.
godsavant
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2009, 08:45:32 PM »

IMO, I think the Omega Darn should have at least some stylistic outline to denote that he is an active part of the stage - just like the Death Worm has the same style as the characters in its respective stage.
Dailyman
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2009, 09:00:01 PM »

So that's about 7 levels right now? Counting the WIP Night game, Mondo Medicals and Omega Darn level (i.e. this), as well as Among the Leaves and the other completed levels. Looking good!

Smiley Smiley
JackShandy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2009, 12:28:43 AM »

Well. Um. Mr PlasticWare has been giving this stage a break for a few months, and so I, Joe Bloggs, who is planning to shortly rename himself Jack Shandy, have been given permission to take it in my own idiotic direction. To quote myself:

Just an idea from some guy who played Noitu Love 2, then stumbled upon this Indie Brawl project shortly after and thought it sounded brilliant:

What if, as apposed to having the Omega Darn as the only part of the Noitu Love stage, the stage teleported between timezones and places?

(For those who haven't played the game, the villains use a giant mechanical tower to turn different parts of the city into different timezones, which the heroine then beats her way through- a rainy victorian era, the wild west, feudal japan, an apocalyptic future, etc.)

The stage could have the tower in the background, and it would regularly blaze with light and change the stage into a different time zone- one moment the players are fighting in a post-apocalyptic future with the Omega Darn clawing at them, the next beating each other up in a (literally) swingin' 1920's nightclub, then dueling atop a crumbling victorian clocktower, before finally struggling to stay on a water-wheel as it rockets down a japanese stream and a mecha-dragon appears occaisionally to shoot at them.

I'm aware that all this is, well, a tad ambitious, perhaps. It would triple/quadruple the amount of work needing to be done on the stage. It would also, however, triple the amount of AWESOME inherent in the stage. And also bring out the time-travel theme in a really cool way.

Well, I'm not one to suggest something that would take a ton of work and then look around going "Yeah, SOMEONE should totally do that." I'm an amateur animator, and I'd be more than willing to do the work on this if my work'd be up to scratch, or no-one better wants to do it. Assuming the idea isn't shot down.

Well, it wasn't shot down, stupidly ambitious as it was, and so the plan of the first sub-stage, complete with the fully-drawn looming background boss, stands before you:

This is based off the last boss of the game- you can see the in-game background, which I'll draw soon, up the top left there. Version with just the boss is here (scroll down). The green shows platforms- players can jump up to her (still to be drawn) wing and, from there, jump up and fight on her head. Occaisionally she sends out a laser attack or two, perhaps. I thought that players could automatically damage her while fighting near her little head-bauble, and if you fight around there enough she comes crashing down, leaving you only the ground to fight on.

The idea is that this acts like a sister sub-stage to the Omega Darn- both have giant looming bosses in the background, but this has a perfectly formed symmetrical girl head, apposed to the ruined Darn head. The side-platform's on the left instead of the right. If I never complete the other stages (all too likely) it's still possible the stage could just switch instantly between this stage and the Omega Darn. Maybe.

VERDICT? Does it fit with the Omega Darn? Is the idea too ambitious? Should I stop this whole silly charade and let the REAL men make stages?
Plasticware
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2009, 12:46:11 AM »

I think what you have looks pretty nice, but it wouldn't hurt to deviate a little more from the source material, I'd think. After all, as you said yourself, getting it to look more like it does in the original game just makes it look vaguely copy-pasted. My interpretation of Omega Darn's head was actually based off of its appearances in both the original game and its sequel - I took the sequel's design, but kept the original's dramatic lighting. At any rate, I'm sure you can come up with something more creative. Certainly looking good so far, though.

As for how well the stages would fit together, I'm not entirely sure, but I like the idea of a dim stage (Omega Darn) and a brightly colored one (Tango) in contrast. Also, the fact that they are both final bosses is another interesting comparison. But I think I'm getting carried away with analyzing the implications of the two sister stages.
JackShandy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2009, 04:14:13 AM »

You're right, Plasticware- I guess my thought was that the more it reminded players of the game, the better. I'm going to tinker with it a bit more, see if I can mix it up a bit/make it more dynamic. I'll stop having a screenshot open as I draw, at any rate.

I didn't think about it that much, but I really like the idea of having it switch between those two polar opposite stages. The boss from the first game and the boss from the second game, both together to bring up the time manipulation theme. The dark stage and the light stage, a broken robot and a perfect one, past/future, dark/light, masculine/feminine, yin/yang, it's all there! javascript:void(0);

I think it could be honestly better off to ditch the other stages and have it switch between these two- but to do that, of course, their heads would have to be the same size, so either omega darn would have to shrink or Tango would have to grow.
Plasticware
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2009, 04:46:02 AM »

I think it'd keep with Tango's characterization fairly well if she were a huge, looming background figure, much as Omega Darn is. (Of course, there is also the ulterior motive of my not wanting to redo Omega Darn's head...)

This is quite a radical departure from what the stage was originally going to be, but I like where these ideas are going.
Widget
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2009, 04:47:25 AM »

I'm a non-entity around here, so take this with a pinch of salt, but... what you outline in your latest post has, I think, a lot of potential. I almost decided against mentioning so, however, because constructing an effective dual-aspect stage would (as you're fully aware) require a ground-up re-work of one boss or the other. Pixel-art is gorgeous but doesn't lend itself to a rescale, as I guess everyone here knows  Sad
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2009, 09:24:07 AM »

I'll quickly mention a few things-

I don't think there's much point between just switching between Tango and Omega Darn. The idea of changing the stage is that you are traveling through time. But both Tango and Omega Darn are from basically the same time period. To really emphasize the time-traveling aspect, I think you'd need 3 possible battlefields, and probably 4. This is a really, really ambitious idea.

The stages should be taller. The view's minimum dimensions are 512x384. The stages should all have roughly the same aspect ratio.

Going with Jack's proposed platform arrangement, characters would not have to jump on the wings in order to reach Tango's head. Most characters can jump 128 pixels into the air, and some can go much further.

JackShandy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2009, 11:13:59 PM »

I'm just back from a trip to New Zealand, and think I agree with Soulliard. At any rate, I've drawn up rough sketches of my ideas for each sub-stage. They're kind of big, so you'll have to bear with me- is there some way to tuck them away neatly, like in a spoiler tag? This forum doesn't seem to have them. Sorry, anyway, because I'm about to clog this thing up something fierce.

NOTES:

Everyone spawns in the black area before falling down on to the level. The spawn area will probably have to be higher, just to be sure no-one's accidentally killed when the new level spawns.
Green lines show platforms.
Please forgive the rough sketchiness, this is just for platform arrangement idea purposes, before I commit to drawing them.
All platforms I've drawn that overlap into the spawn area appear after the players have landed, and are usually temporary.
I'm new at this, so I probably have the distances wrong.
Apologies for taking what used to be a simple, almost finished stage and complicating the hell out of everything.
Feedback appreciated and secretly coveted.

First, that Omega Darn we all know and love! Nothing much new here:

A: The Omega Darn would rise up once the players have landed. I'm not sure if players should be able to jump on his head- if so, it would probably have to be a bit higher. If players can stand on his head, then attacking while on his head could possibly hurt him, eventually destroying the darn and leaving only the stage.

Next, resized Penultimate Tango. Her head will probably change style, I used the old picture for now.

A: Tango will rise up a bit after the players have fallen down to the level. She shifts from left to right a little.
B: The wings act as platforms. They rise and fall a small amount, slowly.
C: Fighting on tangos head could possibly hurt her, eventually destroying her and leaving only the stage to fight on.

Moving on to something new: A stage based on the japanese level, in the memorable bossfight where Xoda has to stay on a water-wheel rocketing down a japanese stream as a giant robot dragon attacks her.

A:Forgive the 5-minute mouse sketch, that's a water-wheel that acts as the main platform. The wheel doesn't revolve- that would make things a bit hard- but does bump around a bit as it goes down the stream. Falling in the water washes you rapidly downstream, taking you offscreen and killing you if you don't jump out fast enough. The idea is to have a small, hotly contested platform that everyone tries to gain control over.
B: This small platform adds some random variety by swinging wildly  between a few pre-set positions around the water-wheel, always staying horizontal. Sometimes it swings underwater.
C: The Mecha-Dragon appears occaisionally at either the left or right of the wheel (There aren't 2, like the drawing makes it seem). Warning is given by having it splash across the background scenery before it rises up. The heads can be jumped on. Occaisionally it starts to breathe fire (with some warning time), and the players have to scramble to find a safe spot.

And last, the Wild West Train Stage, inspired by the last boss of the western stage- a train.

A:The screen is only around the size of the black square. Everyone falls down onto the train, which moves slowly back and forth while the screen stays still, changing up the platform arrangement. Falling down onto the tracks = death. Occaisionally the train edges forward or backward far enough that there's only a small bit of train players can stand on, and then lingers there forcing them to fight for space.
B:The scenery goes past at a constant fast rate.
C: Occaisional platform clouds drift past.

WHEW. Sorry about the length of that. The idea is that the stage would change randomly between those 4. Maybe there should be one more sub-stage to cushion it out. Thoughts?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 12:07:20 AM by JackShandy » Logged
Blaizer
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2009, 11:30:28 PM »

OK. Now maek it.
Dailyman
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2009, 06:38:51 PM »

Smiley looking great! reminds me of castle siege.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic