Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411421 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58417 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 07:47:26 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAdult/Educational CompoZoo Babies [Finished]
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Zoo Babies [Finished]  (Read 45924 times)
ThetaGames
Level 5

Informatikmeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2009, 04:54:11 PM »

Okay, I downloaded the MS Visual Studio 2008, and I was able to run the game.  I though the gorilla puzzle was fun, though it would be better if everything moved a little faster (the gorilla and the guy).  Finding the tortoises was fun too (although it got a little tedious).  It was funny to see them all spinning around your head.

I got all of the turtles, but Mortimer didn't say anything different (other than the fact that I got fifty).  Is something supposed to change once you complete this?

Also, it would be nice if talking to the animals was initiated by <SPACE>, rather than just being near them.  It sometimes got frustrating to have to talk to Mortimer several times because he had you pinned against a tree (and you couldn't easily move away to escape the dialogue).

I liked the graphical style (kind of reminded me of Katamari), and the guitar background music was absolutely beautiful.  I like actual recorded background music in games (chiptunes and tracked pieces are great too, but I don't think they have the same character as a "live" recording).

adam a
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2009, 05:09:47 PM »

Thanks, yeah I think the music is one of the nicest elements in the game too. As with everything it was kind of last minute but it worked out really well. Composed and played by Steve (rubzo here I think).

As for the tortoise challenge, nothing happens when you get them all. It was never actually intended to be in the game at all but it occurred to me that it would be nice to be able to collect the tortoises so I just made a simple mini game with no real point.

The game originally was intended to be puzzle based, the gorilla puzzles are just a kind of stub of what should be there. The idea was to have a similar kind of mechanic but with multiple animals in each puzzle, so you have to coordinate their movements to solve the puzzle and get the internet. In the gorilla puzzle he can break boxes but the idea was to have tortoises which could go through water but not boxes, parrots which could fly, stuff like that to make it more complex. I need to take some time off from programming but I hope to go back to the game and get it to a stage which I'm a bit more proud of.

As for Katamari, it's a fantastic game and I think it definitely inspired our game, the idea of having no real menu and navigating by talking to characters was a definite rip off for instance.

ThetaGames
Level 5

Informatikmeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2009, 05:40:14 PM »

The game originally was intended to be puzzle based, the gorilla puzzles are just a kind of stub of what should be there. The idea was to have a similar kind of mechanic but with multiple animals in each puzzle, so you have to coordinate their movements to solve the puzzle and get the internet. In the gorilla puzzle he can break boxes but the idea was to have tortoises which could go through water but not boxes, parrots which could fly, stuff like that to make it more complex. I need to take some time off from programming but I hope to go back to the game and get it to a stage which I'm a bit more proud of.
That sounds like an awesome puzzle idea - the 'stub' with the gorilla is already pretty fun, so I would hope you continue to develop this after the competition is all finished.

jimmykane
Level 0

100% jimmykane, all the time.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2009, 05:44:43 PM »

I'm known as jimmykane on here, not rubzo, sorry to be confusing, adam a. Smiley

I think adam a has pretty much said what our intentions with the game were. The majority (that is, art assets, music, puzzles, levels, sounds) of the final demo was produced in the last week, and we didn't have time to produce the kinds of puzzles we wanted, hence the hastily knocked together random puzzle generator to use in this demo of the first puzzle that would be in a longer game...

Theta: glad you enjoyed the music.

www.chairmanwow.net/jaf - Exciting radio show, if you're excited about Edinburgh?
Greender
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2009, 05:50:36 PM »

I loved the visual style of this game, nice work.

edmundito
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2009, 07:37:41 PM »

Hey, nice game!

As a techie guy I'm really curious... what did you use to make this game? Did you write your own engine or did you grab something from the web that has harnessed sdl, lua and all that good stuff?
adam a
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2009, 04:40:37 AM »

No we wrote our own engine with C++ and OpenGL, SDL and using Luabind for Lua integration. All that good stuff Smiley Yeah it has a few problems but it was quite a rewarding way to do it I think, certainly improved my C++. If you are really interested all the source is up on google code although documentation is still on the todo list, so it's a bit messy at the moment. I am slowly going through and fixing and tidying, as well as working on the game too.

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic