Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411523 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 02:09:30 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingBlade Ballad - Kinematics Driven Melee Game w Non Voxel Basebuilding
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Blade Ballad - Kinematics Driven Melee Game w Non Voxel Basebuilding  (Read 410 times)
smarttarded
Level 0

View Profile
« on: March 02, 2024, 09:14:21 AM »

Hi everyone, I wanted to share a building mechanic I’ve been working on. It’s a tile based placeable building system so you can snap placed objects together similar to minecraft, but unlike minecraft it does not use voxels but instead right triangles as the base floor.

You can then place walls on the edges of this base floor, which might feel familiar if you’ve played Rust, but the difference is that Rust uses equilateral triangles.

The idea behind this mechanic stems from the excessive amounts of building shapes that I find in a lot of survival RPG games, which I found disengaging and overcomplicated, but at the same time, voxel games like Minecraft lack the ability to create a sloped or angular buildings, plus so many people are doing something with voxels these days.

I have a blog post that goes into more depth regarding this mechanic at https://blade-ballad.com

The game is still under development, and the latest version (0.2.0) is a demo build, but if you want to playtest it and help find some bugs you can download a copy here, thanks for reading:
https://khiemgluong.itch.io/blade-ballad
https://www.indiedb.com/games/blade-ballad
« Last Edit: March 02, 2024, 09:19:56 AM by smarttarded » Logged
smarttarded
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2024, 11:08:36 AM »

Making an update post for Blade Ballad 0.2.1. I've made several improvements to the current state of the game, with manual weapon rotation, NPC combat movement, and inventory, in that order.

More information can be found on my blog post here, which now has a Downloads page for download links, if you want to grab yourself a demo for playtesting.

BuildBig
Level 0

Hello guys

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2024, 02:38:23 AM »

it's a good game but my Potato pc can't run it Smiley
jbarrios
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2024, 06:53:37 PM »

Hey smarttarded,

I gave your game a try.

The combat system is interesting.

I never used the pan feature.  What felt best to me was to click, drag the mouse in the direction I wanted to swing, then release.  The game did a good job of following my movements.

I did feel like my opponent attacked too quickly.

Very interesting.  It has a lot of potential of finding an opening or slashing a weak point.  You should play Metal Gear Revengeance for some ideas.

I look forward to seeing how it improves!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic