Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69379 Topics- by 58435 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 30, 2024, 12:10:50 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDicetris
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Dicetris  (Read 192 times)
Thuby
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: April 09, 2024, 07:01:18 AM »

Dicetris

Dicetris is a falling block puzzle game made for iOS and desktop. Initially concieved from the GMTK Game Jam in 2022. That version was made for Windows and is available to play from the link above.

Since then me and Camilla (credited on the itch page) have founded a studio called Leik Games. We plan on releasing this game on iOS and Steam later this year, some time in fall or early winter.

We recently recieved funding for this project from the Norwegian government and I wanted to create this devlog to chronicle the development.

Team:
Oliver - Programmer, Designer.
Camilla - Artist, Designer.
Simen - SFX and music producer.

I plan to update this about once a week as we're working on this full-time.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2024, 08:02:33 AM by Thuby » Logged

Thuby
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2024, 11:01:51 PM »

First update post. The image in the OP is a mockup, but here's some actual gameplay!

I should explain how the game works.

The board setup is similar to Tetris. I. E. blocks appear at the top and slowly move down and eventually gets locked into the game grid. As score increases the level up, increasing the score output but also the difficulty by making blocks drop faster.

The goal is to place dice in each column which sum up to the number beneath that column. Once a column reaches that number exactly, all the blocks in that column are removed and the number is decremented.
In addition this will cause dice of matching colours to those in that column to also be removed and counted in the score, if they touch the ones in the column.

I find it somewhat hard to explain exactly how the colour matching mechanic works, so please feel free to give the demo a try. I find that it "clicks" for people after they play for a little bit.

This gif is showcasing one of a few "wildcard" blocks in the game, the rainbow block.

Currently the rainbow block just removes all the blocks which match the colour of the block it landed on. If it's placed on the bottom of the board it just picks a random colour. It's pretty simple but it does a lot, however we've also got some other ideas that we'll test out in the future for this block.

Another wildcard block that's featured in the first gif shows off a junk block, which works like the bottom column numbers. Stack dice on top of the junk block that add up to the number on the junk block itself, and it disappears and gives score.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic