Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 04:13:09 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTin Can Knight
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Author Topic: Tin Can Knight  (Read 28580 times)
ChevyRay
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2009, 12:45:40 AM »

Oh, I just noticed the video too and had a watch. It looks pretty cool. It seems that when you jump off the horse, though, he falls a bit too far before landing back on it's back. He's sort of beside it when it finally catches and he goes back into the sitting animation. Make it happen a bit sooner.

I like the look of some of the newer enemies and obstacles coming up Smiley I'd like to see the background environment vary quite a bit over the course of the game too, to help the player feel a sense of adventure and accomplishment.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2009, 04:25:07 AM »

I like the look of some of the newer enemies and obstacles coming up Smiley I'd like to see the background environment vary quite a bit over the course of the game too, to help the player feel a sense of adventure and accomplishment.
yeah great style mang Beer!

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Loren Schmidt
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2009, 08:08:04 PM »

Oh, I just noticed the video too and had a watch. It looks pretty cool. It seems that when you jump off the horse, though, he falls a bit too far before landing back on it's back.
LazyCow pointed this out too. Thanks to you two, This is now fixed.

I'd like to see the background environment vary quite a bit over the course of the game too, to help the player feel a sense of adventure and accomplishment.
The plan is to do six levels (it's a very small game!), spread over three environments. Enemies and obstacles will also be introduced through the course of the game.
Captain_404
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2009, 08:39:31 PM »

Looks really nice, I love the colors!

For some reason, I kept wanting the horse to stop running when the knight jumped off it just to watch him go flying on the ground. Such a desire gives me the impression that one one my ancestors must have a been a purple goblin...
alspal
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2009, 09:30:35 PM »

I love the gallop animation!

I thought that was the weakest part  Embarrassed but other than that the game looks great!
Loren Schmidt
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2009, 02:26:13 PM »

I love the gallop animation!
I thought that was the weakest part  Embarrassed but other than that the game looks great!
Feedback is totally welcome, the more honest the better. If you have any suggestions about the horse animation (or anything else) I'm all ears.
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2009, 03:12:06 PM »

how come the turban wearing, pointed shoe, firball wielding goblin is on a cloud. wouldnt a magic carpet fit more with his outfit.

Loren Schmidt
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2009, 02:42:28 AM »

I kind of felt uncomfortable enough with his stereotypical outfit already Grin

I feel like I'm not stuck regarding the combat anymore. It's starting to come together as of today. I mentioned the goblin magicians, which fire high / low fireballs. Complimenting those are new mounted archers, which fire in high arcs that can be dodged by moving forward / back.
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2009, 12:03:18 PM »

its all looking good. i would be careful, as of now your using 3 letter keys and two directional ones. for this kind of design it seems like the conrtols might be getting complicated. it might be better to see if you can combine some stuff. perhaps the horse jump gives you a burst of speed so you can dodge the arrows that way or even the joust makes you run faster. or holding the horse jump button allows you to jump off the horse. I think that the controls should reflect the streamlined design you have.

also will all horses be white, or will you randomly choose those too?

P.s. why a magician? why didnt you do a witch on a broom?

Tom Sennett
Level 3

Indie Game Legend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2009, 10:51:12 AM »

This game looks fun. I would definitely swap the lance for a sword if you stick with the timing-based attacking.

Also yes, some level of horse customization would be sweet.

sloopygoop
Level 0

8-bit magical sounds...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2009, 12:09:13 PM »

I'll be redundant, and say that this looks like fun too!  Sparky, are you doing anything for music?  I'll send you an email.

My music:
Loren Schmidt
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2009, 12:20:12 AM »

i would be careful, as of now your using 3 letter keys and two directional ones. for this kind of design it seems like the conrtols might be getting complicated. it might be better to see if you can combine some stuff.
Yes, absolutely. Actually I am a bit uncomfortable with having three buttons. You make some good suggestions. I really like your idea of combining 'speed up' with 'attack'. I think I might do that. One other thing I might do (assuming a three button design) is move horse jump to the up arrow. That would feel simpler, I think- horse with right hand, knight with left (though I really don't like jumping with the arrow keys).

also will all horses be white, or will you randomly choose those too?
P.s. why a magician? why didnt you do a witch on a broom?
I'm playing with a couple of tans and browns, which might be randomly swapped for some of the goblin horses. The hero's horse will always be white.

I would definitely swap the lance for a sword if you stick with the timing-based attacking.
Yeah, I think that would be the way to go. I kind of want a high / low attack system with enemies holding shields, but I don't want to clutter the game up so I'm currently leaning toward a timing-based attack.
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2009, 07:57:27 AM »

here this article might help a bit with the controls.

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20050602/green_01.shtml

enjoy.

Loren Schmidt
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2009, 11:14:11 PM »

Many people have a misconception that goblins are dirty because they wear the same clothes for extended periods of time. This is not true. Goblins (especially the purple variety) are extremely finnicky about hygeine. Not only are their clothes always immaculate- their passion for cleanliness extends to their taste in landscaping. So abhorrent is dirt to the purple goblin that every last speck of dust has been removed from their homelands with tweezers; nothing but bedrock remains.

Progress report:
  • The aspect ratio has become more horizontal- 11:7 instead of 4:3
  • Levels 1 through 5 are in, though they will be reworked both visually and functionally
  • I'm considering falling boulders which are screen-relative- they would force a speed change the same way archers do. The downside: my Moon Patrol complex doesn't like them because they're too similar to said game's flying saucers.
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2009, 11:43:35 PM »

Hiya sparky! Just want to wish you good luck with this! Looks outstanding!
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2009, 07:52:23 AM »

why dont you switch to flaming boulders shot from catapaults which the goblins have hidden (rather cleverly) off screen.

also why 11:7 why not just 16:9 and do widescreen. TIN CAN KNIGHT: WIDESCREEN DIRECTORS CUT!

Loren Schmidt
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2009, 09:27:19 PM »

Oh yes, there's a rather good chance they will be flaming.
deathtotheweird
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2009, 12:41:08 AM »

So, it's been awhile since an update. How's development been going?

and while I'm at it-how's Star Guard shaping up? Still in beta?
Gryphon
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2009, 03:53:32 AM »

Oh man, this is so cool. Sparky, you rule.

godatplay
Level 1

Josh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2009, 12:00:25 AM »

Oh wow...this brought back some really nostalgic memories of playing Advanced Dungeons & Dragons: Hillsfar on the PC. I had forgotten all about that game! Man, I played the crap out of it.

This is totally like the horseback riding mini-game you play when going between areas in the world. Anyone else remember playing this?

Quote from: Bob in Compute! magazine, issue 112, 1989
Instead of being plopped down in the middle of a monster-infested countryside, you're given a horse and are put on the road to the city of Hillsfar. You must guide the horse down the obstacle-strewn road using your joystick to speed up, slow down, duck under low-flying birds, and jump over obstacles like puddles and tree stumps.

Thank you so much for bringing back great gaming memories.  Gentleman
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 12:17:59 AM by godatplay » Logged

/////////////////////////
God at play - meaningful games - spiritual games
@godatplay
/////////////////////////
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic