Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1356157 Posts in 62809 Topics- by 54599 Members - Latest Member: ManicMatt

February 20, 2019, 06:45:40 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTin Can Knight
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Author Topic: Tin Can Knight  (Read 25313 times)
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: November 11, 2009, 05:05:35 PM »

I finished it, the difficulty is not too bad, but it's very annoying restarting from the start each time.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
godatplay
Level 1

Josh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: November 11, 2009, 06:36:45 PM »

My computer is not playing the game very well at all it seems...  Droop OS X 10.5.8, Macbook Pro Dual 2 Ghz, FF 3.5.5, Flash 10.  I'll keep playing and try to get more info.

edit...

It looks like I get bad performance when the scroll comes on screen and off, and then when there are several interactive things on the screen at once, like a jump, pond, and then bad guy.

Also, the first guy to shoot at you is at the wrong depth compared to the broccoli bg he passes by.

And I managed to kill a guy and die at the same time.  I saw the guy disappear and heard the sound, but I still died.  You might want to add a check to see if you're dead before playing the kill sound?  Having the guy disappear isn't quite as big of a deal IMO.  I guess that's a pretty minor bug in general...

The biggest problem for me is definitely performance though.  I can't get very far in level 2 because of it, and I don't think the game is too hard otherwise.

edit...

Some more research reveals that the performance is particularly bad when new objects are just entering the screen, especially the floating flower things, some broccoli trees, ponds, guys, etc.  The guys holding up the "arrows" help never seem to cause any problems, but maybe that's because there's a big hiccup right before them loading the broccoli tree?

Hope that helps...
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 07:08:53 PM by godatplay » Logged

/////////////////////////
God at play - meaningful games - spiritual games
@godatplay
/////////////////////////
pla1207
« Reply #62 on: November 11, 2009, 11:16:11 PM »

When you press C (when your in the air doing a jump) you can hear the sword sound.
The horse animation is a bit too slow for my taste
I can't say the sword animation is looking too hot either  Embarrassed

I love the gallop animation!
I thought that was the weakest part but other than that the game looks great!
Feedback is totally welcome, the more honest the better. If you have any suggestions about the horse animation (or anything else) I'm all ears.

I thought maybe if you make it a bit more like a horse gallop:

(I don't like it how the horse's nose moves in my edit though)

man this is a nice motion...do you've done this pixel by pixel or you have some funky tools helping you? Smiley reminds me to this first

footage ever of an horse:
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 11:20:54 PM by pla1207 » Logged
deathtotheweird
« Reply #63 on: November 11, 2009, 11:19:23 PM »

the new tutorial system is pretty cool.

Also, the performance on the computer I'm currently using (my main one busted atm) is great considering that this is a 1.6ghz, 2gb ram and intel gma graphics card especially when compared to star guard which doesnt run so well.
alspal
« Reply #64 on: November 12, 2009, 03:09:29 AM »

@pla1207, nah it's pretty simple - I just looked at some reference and pxiel bam!
pla1207
« Reply #65 on: November 12, 2009, 04:01:44 AM »

@pla1207, nah it's pretty simple - I just looked at some reference and pxiel bam!
sorry for my filthy ignorance:What's pxiel bam ?  Crazy
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: November 12, 2009, 07:51:48 AM »

He spelt pixel wrong, and he's saying "I looked at some reference and then Bam! I had finished the pixel art."
pla1207
« Reply #67 on: November 12, 2009, 12:27:25 PM »

ah kay..pxiel sounded like a name of a program to me  Roll Eyes
jwaap
Level 9

JW

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: November 12, 2009, 01:08:09 PM »

<3

JaJitsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: November 12, 2009, 11:07:37 PM »

finally beat it all.

omg... i hated the bowmen and the really close rocks the worse.
i didnt like them both cause the made you speed up and slow down constantly

I also wish there was an ending of sorts.

everrryyything else i loved though :]

great job

Loren Schmidt
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: November 13, 2009, 01:53:11 PM »

Thanks for the comments, everyone. I'm really appreciating that you aren't afraid to mention things that you dislike. That's really helpful to me.

Jajitsu-
I wonder if perhaps the first couple of groups of archers should be smaller, and they shouldn't come in greater numbers until later in the game. I'm also not really a fan of the close-packed boulders myself. I may very well space those a bit further apart so they're not quite as dangerous.

I'll definitely add some sort of little story which frames the game, sorry that isn't in yet!

godatplay-
I'm sorry about the performance issues you're running into. It always irks me that Flash games run so poorly on a lot of systems. Your feedback has been very helpful nonetheless, thanks for being so observant and taking the time to write it all up.

I'll take a look at what objects are doing as they enter the screen. Perhaps there are a few things I can do to reduce the hitches you're encountering. Does the game run fairly quickly between these hitches? The game uses between 15 and 25 percent of my CPU in testing, so I think it should run well on a fairly wide range of systems.

Thanks a lot for catching the depth issue. I've added some simple depth sorting to take care of issues like that.

Also thanks for finding the simultaneous kill bug. I'll fix that right away. Cheers!

Alastair Jack-
I think I could use a bit more pixel bam myself, that must be good stuff Smiley

pla1207-
I like Muybridge's work a lot, he's pretty intriguing.
Jared C
Level 10

hostess with the mostess

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: November 14, 2009, 03:18:21 PM »

Sparky, have I ever told you how much I love your games?  No?  Well, I do.  Kiss

H1RN
« Reply #72 on: November 15, 2009, 11:12:01 AM »

the art style of your game is amazing.  Kiss
Loren Schmidt
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: November 24, 2009, 12:00:14 AM »

This is an in-progress shot of the map screen which shows between courses. There'll be an 'x' for each course, and probably a few little animated details like little goblins, birds, and fluttering flags. It'll probably be on a black background, and the edges will likely be treated somewhat like the message scrolls:

Feedback is, as always, welcome.
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: November 24, 2009, 01:18:23 AM »

I think the important features could use some more contrast, like the castles and select cliffs(?) and trees in their respective areas, for interest and such.

Loren Schmidt
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: November 24, 2009, 05:10:07 PM »

Here's a more recent version:

The little details like birds, characters, and banners will all be animated in the game. I just added the little characters, and I'm not sure where exactly they'll end up.
I'm currently thinking that perhaps the castles should be colored (white and purple?). It might be fun to have them clearly labeled that way.

The castle positions seem a bit awkward to me, I should probably move those. The edges look wonky too, I think I should reshape those.
sloopygoop
Level 0

8-bit magical sounds...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: December 02, 2009, 09:08:36 AM »

I love the map screen, and I like how it's almost monotone.  That's a fabulous effect and makes it look more antique and parchment-like.  If anything I would use fewer colors--have the knight and the goblin be different shades of brown, etc., although that sepia-red is a nice color there.  The purple is quite a departure from the palette of the rest of the image.

The castles could be repositioned so that they're not in the shadow of the curling edges of the scroll.  It makes the knight's castle, at least, look half-invisible.

My music:
Silbereisen
Overlord
Administrator
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 02, 2009, 09:10:43 AM »

Ye olde picksels.  :D

I love that map.
nikki
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 02, 2009, 10:09:55 AM »

I love the map too !

only that blue-other-resolution-cross thingie has to go away !
Loren Schmidt
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: December 02, 2009, 01:58:01 PM »

I'm hoping to finish everything by this Friday. I've got all my goalsall written up in lists, and it's just a matter of sticking to the plan. Expect daily updates! If I seem to be slacking, please give me a firm boot in the right direction.
Grin

Thanks for the comments about the map. I was worried people would tell me to make the map more colorful, and I love the fact that the opposite seems to be the case. I'll tone down the orange and the purple and make them more in keeping with the rest of the colors.

nikki- oops, I accidentally took a screenshot of the brush cursor in Photoshop Smiley
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic