Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411508 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 09:24:27 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessQuestion: Flash micro-Payment systems(Also what langauges does Flash support)?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Question: Flash micro-Payment systems(Also what langauges does Flash support)?  (Read 1681 times)
puddinlover
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: August 03, 2009, 06:57:54 PM »

I'm a stickler when it comes to people putting their hands in my pockets.

I see various different flash micro-payment providers but the lowest percent taken from payment I could find is nonoba (they take 30%) but the minimum payment for a user is $5 which I feel will turn away some people looking to pay just $1 to advance/buy my content.

I'm new to flash game development and really have no clue what flash supports... what all languages can be used inside of a flash game?  Becuase if I could use like javascript or PHP ect... I could just build my own payment system.

So my questions are:
1) What micro-payment provided charges the least for flash?
2) What langauges can be used insides of flash that will work to contact a remote server (since my game won't be just on my site)?

Thanks guys and if I do happen to make a payment system I will be sure to share it Smiley

You can see what I'm up to on my programming blog (CodeJustin.com)
John Nesky
Level 10

aka shaktool

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 07:46:36 PM »

Flash supports ActionScript 3 natively. And arguably Haxe too. And MXML.

It sort of supports a few other languages thanks to the Adobe Alchemy project, including C/C++ and Lua.

It does not internally support php or javascript, but it can communicate with an external javascript web page and can send http messages back to a php server.
puddinlover
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 09:27:02 AM »

Ah, well then it sounds like a serious task to create a viable system... what do you guys recommend for in-game micro-payment providers that take a cut of 30% or less?

weasello
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 09:58:53 AM »

The big problem with people purchasing less than $5 worth of  Hand Money Left at a time, is transaction fees.

It's been a while since I looked at the current rates, but providers like paypal take a minimum of 30 cents per transaction, PLUS a small percentage. If you only take $1 from your customer, that's at least 30% out of your pocket right there.

But bumping the payment to $5 - it becomes more manageable - and $10 is even better.

This is why many games have in-game "coins". $10 will buy you, say, 1000 coins - then you can have in-game items that only cost 75 coins, and players can purchase them whenever you want.

Setting up a payment gateway via flash is not difficult. What is a bit more difficult is, if you're running it yourself - you need to have your own server to track what username has how many coins, etc. etc.

IndieElite4Eva
puddinlover
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 10:05:53 AM »

Well I'm not too sure how I could be able to actually put it into flash...  I don't actionscript well enough yet I guess.

weasello
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 10:43:45 AM »

Well I'm not too sure how I could be able to actually put it into flash...  I don't actionscript well enough yet I guess.

It's "just as easy" as adding in portal functionality, like leaderboards and logins and such. Maybe a tad bit harder. Smiley

It really isn't too hard, but if you have no experience with it you might be better off going with something like MochiCoins.

IndieElite4Eva
puddinlover
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2009, 06:18:41 PM »

Well I know PHP but I know VERY little about actionscript.   I think I might try the one micro-payment provider I first mentioned since they take 30% compared to mochicoins taking 40%.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic