Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 07:02:23 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeCreativity is a joke?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Creativity is a joke?  (Read 6119 times)
FatHat
Level 1

View Profile
« on: August 05, 2009, 06:51:44 AM »

(Sorry for the provocative title.. I couldn't resist  Gentleman )

I found this quote in an interview with Alan Kay:

AK: I did quite a bit of study on that over the years to understand the influence of having something that you can read. It’s known that our basic language mechanism for both reading and hearing has a fast and a slow process. The fast process has basically a surface phrasal-size nature, and then there’s a slower one. This is why jokes require pauses; the joke is actually a jump from one context to another, and the slower guy, who is dealing with the real meanings, has to catch up to it.

There have been many, many studies of this. This argues that the surface form of a language, whatever it is, has to be adjustable in some form.

SF: As you probably know, recent research has looked at how different parts of the brain recognize and react to jokes. Physically, they are quite distinct.

AK: Yes. All creativity is an extended form of a joke. Most creativity is a transition from one context into another where things are more surprising. There’s an element of surprise, and especially in science, there is often laughter that goes along with the “Aha.” Art also has this element. Our job is to remind us that there are more contexts than the one that we’re in—the one that we think is reality.

(From this article: http://queue.acm.org/detail.cfm?id=1039523 )

I like this idea that creativity is really just taking something and putting it in a new context. I've been thinking about the processes of creativity a lot recently, and my original take was a bit different, but I like this one too.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 06:56:43 AM »

i don't think putting things in a new context is exactly what he meant (i mean like, he didn't only mean things like "let's take a vampire and put him in the future!"), but rather doing something that forces the audience to switch between contexts in order to understand it; something which doesn't make sense if you're thinking literally, but makes sense in other ways, like zen koans

Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 07:01:34 AM »

i mean like, he didn't only mean things like "let's take a vampire and put him in the future!"
I don't think FatHat was implying that, Paul.

Good quote and interesting article, though. Thank you for posting it!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 07:05:35 AM by Ivan » Logged

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009, 07:09:36 AM »

That's been my philosophy on creativity for a while now, so I'm glad to see that someone else thinks it too. Whenever someone says that there are no original ideas left, I have to sigh, just because they're not looking. There are more ideas than ever within our grasp; just look at how much information there is on the internet! There's thousands of ideas waiting to be combined into something totally new. And if you don't like those, there are always your own personal experiences; after all, no one has lived a life exactly like yours.
Seth
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2009, 07:58:36 PM »

not to mention the internet itself is a totally new thing, same with cell phones, and, hell, video games themselves.  the world is an ever changing place and with that comes totally different ways of view the world and how that world works or the citizens within interact with each other.... unfortunately this new potential is mostly realized in the form of awful twitter jokes by TV newsmen or newspaper comic writers.

edit: for instance how weird is it to watch Dazed and Confused now where no one has cell phones?  it really is like a different world.  but this is awful:

« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 08:09:53 PM by Seth » Logged
aeiowu
Level 10

Greg Wohlwend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2009, 08:30:57 PM »

definitely. great quote and great analysis. thanks for posting that.

i find because i have broad sweeping interests from cooking to sports to jazz and so on, the more sponge-like i behave the easier it becomes to come up with something intriguing. I also have super crazy dreams which are lots of fun. In a lot of ways what he's saying there is naturally done by dreaming. Your brain just kind of free associate dumps on you with whatever's rattling around (or at least how i like to think about it) and what comes out can be incredible.

It's fairly easy to come up with an interesting mash-up. A professor of mine would come up with these huge matrices of information crossing method with subject matter. Simply by listing an assload of possibilities the combinations would often be hilarious (jokes Wink) but also incredibly creative.

AdamAtomic
*BARF*
Level 9

hostess w/ the mostest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2009, 08:58:07 AM »

this was a super great read!

cup full of magic charisma
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic